Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
<snippage>

One thing that I've noticed is that I've seen a shift from books and articles to videos not only at O'Reilly but in a lot of online learning sites. I absolutely hate learning videos. I learn best by reading, not by listening or watching some guy yammer. Amazon has gone almost all videos and simulated labs in their online classes. I guess it helps some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I'm pretty much the same as far as training videos go. I learn by doing, for the most part, not by watching. But SBO gives you a choice, which I like. For quick overviews video is okay. But when it goes on for hours and hours, I get impatient.
Somewhat OT: I have the same issue. I've b*tched--er, inquired--of several of the courses that I've taken, in the last 3 years, as to WHY it's all video, all the time, and every single answer came back as: they're harder to pirate.

I recently suffered through more than a few days of video-only, on a course, and I spent nearly 10 days transcribing them by hand. Did I learn the material? Still, NO. Now I have to go back and re-read my own handwriting, which is only slightly better than the rack in terms of punishment doled out.

The whole "video-only" thing really gets up my nose, especially when paying a goodly chunk of change to get the courses in the first place. On both of the courses I'm discussing, they're in the 4 digits and high 4. Yes, really--all videos, all the time. P*ssed me right the h3ll off.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #47
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Somewhat OT: I have the same issue. I've b*tched--er, inquired--of several of the courses that I've taken, in the last 3 years, as to WHY it's all video, all the time, and every single answer came back as: they're harder to pirate.

Hitch
hehehehe

They've mistaken not having caught the interest of pirates with technological security.

With the right video ripping software, you can record a streaming video and save it. Pluralsight (a site that sells instructional videos) has a piracy problem for just that reason.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2017, 02:04 AM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
hehehehe

They've mistaken not having caught the interest of pirates with technological security.

With the right video ripping software, you can record a streaming video and save it. Pluralsight (a site that sells instructional videos) has a piracy problem for just that reason.
Hell, you don't even need that. I have a download accelerator that will simply grab a video and wait for you to confirm that you want it. Bloody thing has to be put away on the few occasions that I go to YT or Vimeo, etc.

I should have said: they know not whereof they speak, when I posted that. Duh. :-)

Thx, @Nate!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #49
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

I recently suffered through more than a few days of video-only, on a course, and I spent nearly 10 days transcribing them by hand. Did I learn the material? Still, NO. Now I have to go back and re-read my own handwriting, which is only slightly better than the rack in terms of punishment doled out.

The whole "video-only" thing really gets up my nose, especially when paying a goodly chunk of change to get the courses in the first place. On both of the courses I'm discussing, they're in the 4 digits and high 4. Yes, really--all videos, all the time. P*ssed me right the h3ll off.

Hitch
You have my sympathies. I belong to a crafting site, and all of it is videos. Those that take the courses love it. "I don't understand written instructions"
I'm the oddball in preferring written instructions.

The only saving grace and maybe one you can use is CC. The site is slowly adding CC to the videos, and it looks like you might be able to print that selectively by editing.

I have only bought a couple of books from O'Reilly - both hard copy. I did repurchase one in PDF as I liked the finderscope views for each constellation's highlights. It is on the tablet with the astronomy programs.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #50
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
You have my sympathies. I belong to a crafting site, and all of it is videos. Those that take the courses love it. "I don't understand written instructions"
I'm the oddball in preferring written instructions.

The only saving grace and maybe one you can use is CC. The site is slowly adding CC to the videos, and it looks like you might be able to print that selectively by editing.

I have only bought a couple of books from O'Reilly - both hard copy. I did repurchase one in PDF as I liked the finderscope views for each constellation's highlights. It is on the tablet with the astronomy programs.
You are not an oddball. I prefer written instructions myself.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #51
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You are not an oddball. I prefer written instructions myself.
Who doesn't?

I like videos as an addition but the main knowledge can be learnt faster with an e-book/book.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #52
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These are really terrible news. I am counting on a way to still obtain the original .PDF files. If Safari allows that - I never heard about PDF in Safari -, it may be the way. Also worth the price. But the process, as I do not have it clear now, sounds peculiar: I would retrieve the .pdf on a device, then move it to the (Internet-less) reading device...
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If you purchase an O'Reilly book on Google Play Books, it includes both 'flowing pages' and 'original pages' format (the reading apps let you switch between them while preserving reading location)I believe you can download DRM-free ePub and PDF from there. For example:

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=S_SJ2LaZH8EC

O'Reilly could offer 'Print Replica' editions on Amazon (as well as .mobi) but that storefront is not set up to offer multi-format purchases as Play Books is.

Safari Books Online is not likely to be the conduit for PDF downloads. O'Reilly is but one of many publishers there and many of the others continue to have their own storefronts (at least until now).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
If you purchase an O'Reilly book on Google Play Books, it includes both 'flowing pages' and 'original pages' format (the reading apps let you switch between them while preserving reading location)I believe you can download DRM-free ePub and PDF from there. For example:

https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=S_SJ2LaZH8EC
From the sound of things earlier in this thread however it is not a PDF of the print book but a PDF generated from the ePub or something...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #55
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
From the sound of things earlier in this thread however it is not a PDF of the print book but a PDF generated from the ePub or something...
I do know that if you are talking about Google Play, the publisher can upload a pdf file to there.
Has anyone actually bought a pdf from Google Play yet, because it was my understanding that the people that had posted with that comment had just heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from another.

I would like to hear from someone that has actually purchased the PDF.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #56
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As I said it was mentioned earlier in this thread...
https://twitter.com/martinkl/status/880541924335267841
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, the PDFs are not generated from the ePub, at least with the few I have purchased. They look just fine.

EPub books from the 'Google Books' scanning project are generated from OCR and have a lot of errors.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-15-2017 at 08:26 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #58
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
That author of Learning Python provides his perspective on that topic.

Quote:
Despite capping a three-year sales peak, this year also saw some uncertainty over future editions. My publisher passed on updating a classic Python book over a trivial contract issue, and demoted both open source and books in general at their web site. Once known for meaty technical books, this publisher seems to be morphing into a company focused on videos, webcasts, and conferences; with a business model based on pandering to a naive audience instead of educating it; and a web presence that has become a platform for promoting illegitimate content and personalities. This is not the publisher I signed up with.
http://learning-python.com/python-ac...2015-publisher

I can only concur. I hope I will find a new publisher who takes their technology hardcore readers serious. No more "learning videos" and Twitter learning.

Last edited by joblack; 08-16-2017 at 04:44 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Books from the 'Google Books' scanning project are generated from OCR and have a lot of errors.
That's why I always download the page-scanned PDF of such books, rather than the ePub or Kindle version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #60
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yes, that's the way it used to work.
There where some limited and less expensive plans, that's gone.

That's a serious bummer.
I'm on the token plan for Safari, think I've had it since 2007.

One thing about the tokens is that they go away after a period of time, if you don't use them. To download a whole book you usually need something like 20-30 tokens. I get 5 tokens a month so it takes a couple of months to accumulate enough tokens for a whole book.

You used to be able to download individual chapters, and those cost a couple of tokens per chapter.

I've also noticed that fewer and fewer books offer the option to buy with tokens, so it's currently a limited range of books you can get with the tokens.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote