Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Oasis 2 - Need a cover or skin or silicone back

The Amazon cover is fine for storage, but I have to remove it to read with the Oasis inverted.
Unfortunately, I find the metal back way too slick.
In the past for various iPads and Samsung tablets we bought slim silicone backs.

For the Oasis I am thinking a non-sleek skin just to cover the bumpy part of the Oasis that one holds, approximate size 6 1/8" X 2" and just contacted DecalGirl for ideas.

Any other ideas to get a solid grip?
Soon we should see different covers from different vendors too.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I put a piece of gaffer's tape on the back of my phone. It is a cloth tape with removable sticky-ness. It gives it a nice grip. I would do the same for the Oasis 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
The Amazon cover is fine for storage, but I have to remove it to read with the Oasis inverted.
Unfortunately, I find the metal back way too slick.
In the past for various iPads and Samsung tablets we bought slim silicone backs.

For the Oasis I am thinking a non-sleek skin just to cover the bumpy part of the Oasis that one holds, approximate size 6 1/8" X 2" and just contacted DecalGirl for ideas.

Any other ideas to get a solid grip?
Soon we should see different covers from different vendors too.
I’ve found many grip anti-slip type decals and stickers on Amazon, as I was looking for the same thing. The new Oasis is slick, that is for sure. I’m a little apprehensive about sticking something on the back of the device.

For now, I have a wide rubber band on the side with the buttons. It gives me something to help grip the wide edge while reading with the Oasis without a cover.

One of the brands I found was Skinomi, but I’ve no idea I’d they are any good. They have their own site, and they have some listed on Amazon. E-grips is another brand of stick on grippy patches.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has used such a thing.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
What about attaching a grip to the device?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PopSockets-...ords=popsocket

I haven't tried it myself but it looks useful
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Cheap hack is to buy grippy or no slip hair bands and loop enough of them together to fit the reader. The ends of this looped band go over two diagonal corners. I used this system with my Nook ST when I was too cheap to buy a cover and carried the reader in a neoprene bag. But I needed a solid grip on the reader whilst standing and reading in the train so I came up with this hack. Only ditched it because I found a cover for $3 in the Staples sales bin.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
I put a piece of gaffer's tape on the back of my phone. It is a cloth tape with removable sticky-ness. It gives it a nice grip. I would do the same for the Oasis 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape
Thank you, it sounds perfect. B&H Camera carries it and I will buy some silver, probably 2" wide.
All the duct tapes, electrical tapes, etc... we have here leave some residue.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
Ocicat
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
What about attaching a grip to the device?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PopSockets-...ords=popsocket

I haven't tried it myself but it looks useful
Thanks to your post I remembered a cell phone grip/holder that I bought and never used when many years ago we switched from flip phones to the first smart phone. Yes, we are electronics hoarders.

If I keep only the suction cup with the stem and cut off the rest it will work.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Quote:
Thank you, it sounds perfect. B&H Camera carries it and I will buy some silver, probably 2" wide.
All the duct tapes, electrical tapes, etc... we have here leave some residue.
I love gaffer's tape for this kind of thing. It still leaves a little residue, but very little. It is meant to be pulled up after use.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I’ve found many grip anti-slip type decals and stickers on Amazon, as I was looking for the same thing. The new Oasis is slick, that is for sure. I’m a little apprehensive about sticking something on the back of the device.

For now, I have a wide rubber band on the side with the buttons. It gives me something to help grip the wide edge while reading with the Oasis without a cover.

One of the brands I found was Skinomi, but I’ve no idea I’d they are any good. They have their own site, and they have some listed on Amazon. E-grips is another brand of stick on grippy patches.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has used such a thing.
I used Skinomi for my Voyage and first Oasis. They're quite good for the back and sides but they do make the screen rather reflective.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
selianth
Enthusiast
selianth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I know I'm not helping with your problem, but this confuses me. Why do you have remove the case when flipping the Oasis?
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
I used Skinomi for my Voyage and first Oasis. They're quite good for the back and sides but they do make the screen rather reflective.
Thanks! I doubt I would use the screen protector...it was the back skin I was considering.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
Ocicat
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post
I know I'm not helping with your problem, but this confuses me. Why do you have remove the case when flipping the Oasis?
If one reads with the page buttons on the right, one is holding the spine side of the cover, a solid feel.

When I flip reader so page buttons are on the left I am holding the flimsy origami part of the cover.

Part of my problem is that I never liked any origami cases, replaced the one on the Voyage with a great PU regular cover.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #13
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)

Last edited by Ksane; 11-05-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #14
Ocicat
Groupie

[QUOTE=Ksane;3605134]Ive got these suction cup holders all over because I have aquariums. I stick one to the back of my Kindle (or any reader) and put one of my fingers through the little holder-any finger or position would work. Holds it tight & I can reach buttons or screen both.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Yes, that is basically what I am using now, but yours is much better, mine had a hook which I removed. Thank you!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-03-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #15
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I think Amazon really needs to give more thought to case/cover design. I am a klutz. My hands are strong but were never meant for fine work. No watch repair, fly tying, or handling thin, lightweight Kindles.

In my opinion, the best Amazon Kindle case/cover was, and still is, the Paperwhite. It opens like a book, has the wake/sleep function, and protects the device. It makes the Kindle something I can hold on to.

The cutesy Origami cover for the Voyage made me think of something designed in California. It opened like a reporters tablet and the floppy cover was, for me, a nuisance. I bought six third-party covers and they were disasters. The first one I got hid the amber/green light so you couldn't tell when the device was charged. Some of the others had wake/sleep functions that didn't work and they were all hard, smooth plastic which allowed the Voyage to start sliding as soon as it was set on a smooth surface that wasn't completely flat.

Then I got the Oasis 2. I was hopeless trying to hold it and dropped it twice. Knowing I'm a klutz I was sitting on the bed but I rarely read in bed. I ordered a cover when I ordered the Oasis but the Oasis arrived and the cover didn't. Two days later I was told the cover would be available in December, maybe. That's from Amazon.mx. Amazon.com in the U.S. refused to send me a case/cover. So, my Oasis is going back this afternoon.

I will think about whether or not I want to order one when cases are available. The only thing I really liked about the Oasis was the ability to enlarge the system font. That's great. The only thing I disliked, other than no case, was that it won't slip into my pocket. My Paperwhite in it's Amazon case will slip into a lower pocket in my Guayabera shirt or a pants pocket.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote