Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the September Book Club book?
She by H. Rider Haggard 3 15.79%
The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold 4 21.05%
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. 11 57.89%
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey Series Book 1) by Dorothy L. Sayers 7 36.84%
Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley 4 21.05%
A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes 2 10.53%
The Toll-Gate by Georgette Heyer 4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmmm. Promising, issybird. Now I'm torn -- read the Thandie Newton version? Or the Nadia May version? Or the Wanda McCaddon version? Decisions, decisions, decisions. (Oh, and even though I'm kind of still hoping for Whose Body to win, I intend to read this as well. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. Promising, issybird. Now I'm torn -- read the Thandie Newton version? Or the Nadia May version? Or the Wanda McCaddon version? Decisions, decisions, decisions. (Oh, and even though I'm kind of still hoping for Whose Body to win, I intend to read this as well. )
How to you read an audiobook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a quick note. Jane Eyre is a long book. It's the end of August and will soon be September. For parents in the US, you won't have time to read this tome because you'll have kids that will need getting ready for school and then help with homework and other stuff. You'll need to give more time to the kids.

Also, September is a popular month for birthdays and you'll need to deal with birthdays and won't have time for such a tome. And then there's the transitioning from summer to fall.

So overall, September is a really busy month. Too busy for such a tome.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps you meant tome, Jon? Yes, I'm sure that's just autocorrect...

But hey, if you want shorter, there's always Lord Peter Wimsey and Whose Body.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:47 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The current Audible -of-summer sale has the Thandie Newton narration of Jane Eyre on sale for $4.95 to members; however, anyone get the Kindle edition for 99¢ and the audiobook for $1.99. But the sale drew my attention to what seems a very spiffy version, with a rating of 4.8 stars from over 2,600 reviews. Well worth $2.98 in toto with the added advantage of being able to Whispersync.
I'd be interested to hear how you think Newton did. You may remember I listened to Emma Thompson's reading of Turn of the Screw. She's a fantastic actress but she absolutely butchered the audiobook narration, so now I'm leery of famous actors narrating as a name 'get'. It could be that Thompson was just an outlier though.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Just remember, if you vote for the winning book, your expected to read it and participate in the discussion. So if Jane Eyre wins, then the 8 of you are expected to read it and participate in the discussion. So if you voted and won't be reading/participating, please say so now.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just remember, if you vote for the winning book, your expected to read it and participate in the discussion. So if Jane Eyre wins, then the 8 of you are expected to read it and participate in the discussion. So if you voted and won't be reading/participating, please say so now.
I'll probably vote for it, and I probably won't be participating in the discussion.

And for those new to (or unfamiliar with) the book club, there is no requirement/obligation to join in the discussion thread.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'd be interested to hear how you think Newton did. You may remember I listened to Emma Thompson's reading of Turn of the Screw. She's a fantastic actress but she absolutely butchered the audiobook narration, so now I'm leery of famous actors narrating as a name 'get'. It could be that Thompson was just an outlier though.
Off hand, I can think of three books narrated by famous actors that I've listened to and they were all quite good: Thérèse Raquin by Kate Winslet, Heart of Darkness by Kenneth Branagh and Our Man in Havana by Jeremy Northam. The last two were book club selections, now that I think of it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll probably vote for it, and I probably won't be participating in the discussion.

And for those new to (or unfamiliar with) the book club, there is no requirement/obligation to join in the discussion thread.
But, it's totally unfair to those who want a different book to win. It means you've voted for a book you don't plan to read and/or participate in the discussion. It's especially unfair when you know this when you vote.

If you did vote and you started to read but stopped because you didn't like the book, you can post in the discussion why you stopped reading.

And for those new to the book club, it's sleazy to vote knowing you'll not read/participate.

I voted for two books I would read if they won and would participate. That's not to say I would not read any of the others. But there are two books I won't read and they are She and Jane Eyre.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought this was interesting, from wiki on The Man Who Folded Himself:

Spoiler:
... References to both the American Airlines Flight 191 crash and the destruction of the World Trade Center Twin Towers, events which did not occur until 6 years and 28 years respectively after initial publication, were added in the 2003 edition.

So which version would the book club read?
Old 08-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Off hand, I can think of three books narrated by famous actors that I've listened to and they were all quite good: Thérèse Raquin by Kate Winslet, Heart of Darkness by Kenneth Branagh and Our Man in Havana by Jeremy Northam. The last two were book club selections, now that I think of it.
You should listen to some John Scalzi read by Wil Wheaton. he's good at at. Plus, they are friends.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, it's totally unfair ...
Old 08-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Other examples -- the Robert B. Parker "Spenser" books, narrated by Joe Montegna, and the last few Harry Bosch books from Michael Connelly, narrated by Titus Welliver. Interestingly, in both cases, the narrators were also the actors who played the roles in the dramatizations of the series.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #29
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I didn't vote for it, but I plan to read David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself. It's $9.99 at Amazon, though, and not available in my local library, so it may be a while.
It's available on Hoopla, if you have access.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:00 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I thought this was interesting, from wiki on The Man Who Folded Himself:

Spoiler:
... References to both the American Airlines Flight 191 crash and the destruction of the World Trade Center Twin Towers, events which did not occur until 6 years and 28 years respectively after initial publication, were added in the 2003 edition.

So which version would the book club read?
The 2003 edition.