Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
berilia
berilia began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook touch lux
[623] Touch Lux : before buying and accessories

Hi everybody!

I asked the same questions yesterday in the french section, and still no answers.
I hope here there will be some people who knows.

- do I really need the charger ? Can't I use the USB cable to charge it by my computer ?
- is the "customer service" of Pocketbook good ? (sorry, not sure of the term :/ )
- what are the negative aspects of this ereader ?
- do I need a screen protector ?
- the official covers are expensive. Are they of good quality ? Do you know others good and cheap ?
- and finally, I hesitate about the color : grey or black ? Do anyone have a grey touch lux, and how is it ?

Sorry for my english!
berilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by berilia View Post
I asked the same questions yesterday in the french section, and still no answers.
Well, objectively it would have been best to ask in the German subsection because the majority of the 623 owners writes there. But it's clear that not everyone speaks or understands German. Maybe you can browse this subforum with the help of google translate.

You don't need an extra charger, you can charge via USB cable.
Customer service is existent in Germany and quite good, I don't know, if they work for all Europe too. Member forkosigan here is a Pocketbook representative and he is very busy helping forum members if they have any problems.
Color is subjective, I would always prefer black, but you may like grey better ...
You don't need a screen protector. But if you can't find any third-party covers then buy the official one nevertheless. A cover is simply a must!

And welcome to MobileRead!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
berilia

As you guessed, I don't speak a word of German :/
I will read the German forum though. Thanks for the advice.

For all the help, thank you very much, Billi.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
- do I really need the charger ? Can't I use the USB cable to charge it by my computer ?
No.
You can charge from PC every two weeks or so.
You can also use any generic USB charger.
Quote:
- is the "customer service" of Pocketbook good ? (sorry, not sure of the term :/ )
I think they are
Quote:
- what are the negative aspects of this ereader ?
In the last firmware the pdf viewer has problem with some pdfs.
In previous versions it was better than other readers.
Please note that the vast majority of pdf files are not suitable for comfortable reading on any 6 inch e-ink reader - they were formatted for A4 or Letter page.
Quote:
- do I need a screen protector ?
No
Quote:
- the official covers are expensive. Are they of good quality ? Do you know others good and cheap ?
I strongly dislike covers that use rubber bands to attach the reader. I even more dislike the type that uses frame from vinyl or faux leather on the front of the device.
PB touch lux doesn't have any points where a cover could be clipped or attached to. But the vast majority of other recent generation readers have exactly the same problem.
You definitely should use a cover for transport and storage of the reader. So I have made a box from lexan multiwall shet. Some left-over pieces of 4mm thick lexan sheet, sharp knife, two-sided adhesive tape and 15 minutes and I have a cover much sturdier than expensive commercial offerings.

Quote:
- and finally, I hesitate about the color : grey or black ? Do anyone have a grey touch lux, and how is it ?
Black.
Those black buttons look bad on white reader IMHO.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
My Touch Lux is a white one and I like it, but I think it is of little importance which color an e-reader is. (I don't mind the black buttons )
I bought this slim-fit cover for it : click here. Other colors than red are available.
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
berilia

Hi Hekse,

I saw this cover before an was tempted by it because of the weight.
But a vendor on ebay was trying to sell it and the pochetbook into the cover was broken :/

What do you think of it ? on french amazon, the reviews are quite bad, but they seem to be good in the german version

The pocketbook is clipped into the cover, right ?
Does the cover bother you when you hold it ? I ask because I had the same kind of cover for my nintendo 3DS, and it hurt my hands to the point I had to take it off.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekse-Mie View Post
I bought this slim-fit cover for it : click here. Other colors than red are available.
Quote:
Hi Hekse,

I saw this cover before an was tempted by it because of the weight.
But a vendor on ebay was trying to sell it and the pochetbook into the cover was broken :/

What do you think of it ? on french amazon, the reviews are quite bad, but they seem to be good in the german version

The pocketbook is clipped into the cover, right ?
Yes, the reader clips into the cover.
The problem is some of those covers (very similar, sold in my country under different name) were made for PB622 and the PB623 - touch Lux is a tiny bit thicker. I have compared 622 and 623 and the 623 *is* a little bit thicker.

An e-ink reader specialized seller in my country reports that not all of those covers can accommodate PB623 easily. With some reader-cover combination you can't fully close the cover.

Otherwise, this would be my cover of choice. No rubber bands across the corners of the device.

The manufacturer spends a fortune, trying to engineer the thinnest, lightest, most elegant device and we put in into a cover that doubles the weight and thickness, with attachment system that looks like a clumsy hack.
I can't understand why manufacturer of [insert any of the devices here] can't make a device with attachment points (threaded holes, small hoops, depressions, or at very least without a strangely curved back and sides ... sigh ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
Quote:
...What do you think of it...
The cover is indeed quite tight, but I had no trouble clipping it to my PB Lux.
The lid closes nicely with the magnet.
The cover doesn't bother me when I read. The lid can easily be folded entirely to the back (it doesn't hold at the back with the magnet).
The inside of the lid has a suede feeling.

@ Kacir, it would be nice if there were more ereaders like the PB360, which has a cover included.
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
berilia

Quote:
The manufacturer spends a fortune, trying to engineer the thinnest, lightest, most elegant device and we put in into a cover that doubles the weight and thickness, with attachment system that looks like a clumsy hack.
I can't understand why manufacturer of [insert any of the devices here] can't make a device with attachment points (threaded holes, small hoops, depressions, or at very least without a strangely curved back and sides ... sigh ...
Yeah, I don't understand it either. If I was not so afraid to break the reader, I would not take a cover.

Anyway, thank you all for you help!
I will buy this cover I think.