Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #61
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
What do you mean by Diag partition?

I'm still at firmware 1.04, so I wonder if this could be related to a change in the kernel with 1.05. Did you have these dictionary / suspend problems with 1.04, too?

Do you have these problems with micro sd removed, too? Otherwise, the micro sd might be interfering with suspend....

My reader sometimes does not suspend properly after charging -> The battery will drain completely within 24h. As a workaround, I always shutdown/restart the reader after unplugging the charger.

It might also be that your hardware has a fault such that suspend does not work properly.

Setting (only contains PC reader software) and recovery partition (only plays a role in when booting into recovery mode) have nothing to do with suspend functionality.

I will check my logs for specific suspend errors when I am back home...
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #62
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
The Diag partition is the second partition following the Recovery one. It has a 10Mb size, cramfs file system, on linux its reference is /dev/sdb2 and I think it must be the mmcblk2p2.img partition.

I had problems with the dictionary and sleep before I upgraded to the latest firmware.

I do not have an sd card in my Reader. I only put one to flash restore sets or backup/restore partitions.

I usually charge my Reader through my computer. I plug it to my computer practically every day. But the problem is not related to this. I've been turning it off and on again, then using it normally. When I put on sleep, the problems start, whether or not I had connected to the PC.

Yes, I think it is probably a hardware fault. Do you think it is worth sending to Sony for repairs or will it cost too much?
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #63
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

A last check I would do is comparing dumps of the raw data block. It will differ in some regions, but at least the kernels should be equal.

In this thread you'll find info about the offsets: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2207783
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #64
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info. I'm quite busy at the moment. I think I will try that early next week.

Any clue how to erase completely the Diag partition (mmcblk2p2) to try to dd the new one (safely) in it's place?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #65
uboot
Evangelist

maybe the diag partition is used during recovery mode and it might work in normal mode via adb shell or android terminal...
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #66
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedgod View Post
It first started happening after I tried installing "Modified Reader by morkl".
I can confirm that. My device was running flawlessly for a long time. Rooted, unrooted, no problem. A while after the installation of the modified reader (for using different fonts) the trouble started, mainly when tring to use the dictionary, but not only.

@entodays: Are/were you using this modified reader?
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #67
entodoays
Zealot

I had installed rupor's AMR which includes a modified Reader app. I'm not sure if it the same you're talking about, and I never installed other modified Reader apps.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #68
entodoays
Zealot

So I tried to follow the procedure in the link in post #63, with one modification. I do not intend to modify init so I simply extracted the rootfs without uboot headers of the good PRS-T1, and tried to copy it to the other one.

What I did exactly:
1. Instead of extracting the rootfs from /dev/mmcblk I extracted from a Full backup file for both the good and the faulty PRST1s. The rootfs.img was 1Mb size. I tried
Code:
diff faultyrootfs.img goodrootfs.img
They differed.
2. I created a newrootfs from the good PRS-T1 with the makeimage command as per instructions.
3. I ran
Code:
dd if=../newrootfs.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1 seek=5242880
, this time on the Reader and not on the backup file. (Needed sudo privileges).
4. Resetted the Reader… got stuck at opening book with a blank progress bar which didn't advance.
5. I restored the backup I had done of the faulty reader (after the problem began) with
Code:
dd if=Backup.bin of=/dev/sdb
and the Reader booted normally.

P.S. I'm on Ubuntu and the Reader internal sdcard is /dev/sdb so I replaced /dev/mmcblk2 with /dev/sdb.

Last edited by entodoays; 01-30-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #69
uboot
Evangelist

So you say that you finally flashed a backup of the full starting block of the good reader onto the bad one?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #70
entodoays
Zealot

No. I copied (dd) the backup of the faulty reader back to the faulty reader, because the one I had copied from the new didn't work.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #71
entodoays
Zealot

Problem Solved!

I have some news. The short story: Erased partition table; restored backup of faulty reader; restored mmcblk2p1,2,6,7,8,9,10 of the good Reader to the old one. Now everything seems to be working fine after leaving on sleep for 7 hours and using it to read for 1 hour at three different times. Used the browser too without any problems.

Will test for a longer period of time without doing further changes.

EDIT
I've been using heavily (several hours a day) my previously faulty PRS-T1 and can confirm that the problem is solved (hoping it does not come back again). I read from several books in different languages, changing dictionaries every time, added annotations, browsed several websites, downloaded ebooks and a couple of wallpapers without a single problem.

I read somewhere on the Sony forums that one used said that repartitioning solved his dictionary problems. I'm the second user who's reporting it as well. I didn't change the partition sizes but rewritten the partition table of the unit and this seems to have resolved the problem, wherever it was.
I will post a detailed step-by-step procedure for the benefit of others having the same problem.

Last edited by entodoays; 02-02-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #72
entodoays
Zealot

Post STEP-BY-STEP PROCEDURE

The idea behind this procedure is to wipe completely the internal drive and copy the partitions from another Reader, except the initial 26 Mb unformatted space that contains unique information for each Reader.

That said, if you do not have access to a PRS-T1 in working order, you may try simply, doing a backup, erase the partition table, restore the backup (doing steps 1 to 5, 11 to 13 and 15). It might work, but I cannot vouch for it since I didn't stop there.

WARNING: Do not go through this procedure if you do not understand what you're doing, you may end up bricking your Reader, or worse, format the hard drive of your computer. I take no responsibility if things go wrong!

Requirements:
  1. A PC running Ubuntu 12.10 (most of the procedures can be done with other linux systems.)
  2. A microSD card.
  3. Access to another PRS-T1 in working order running the same firmware version. EDIT: Here are some of the partitions from a working unrooted PRS-T1 running firmware 1.0.05.11130 european.
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1364142061
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...3&d=1364141997
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...2&d=1364141793
    https://www.box.com/s/3ajzl59thvovwj6qlj5b

Note: During this procedure, my Reader got somehow disconnected from the computer a couple of times (after step 12 below and after copying the /dev/sdb8 partition). If this happens, simply disconnect the USB cable, press Reset + Power. Press HOME+MENU and power again as before.

STEP-BY-STEP PROCEDURE
  1. Download the rupor-rescue package. Unzip it and copy the OSFirmware folder to an empty microSD card. We will use this to boot the PRS-T1 in recovery mode, without using the internal drive.
  2. Turn the Reader off. Put the sdcard in the faulty Reader and power it on while pressing the HOME and MENU buttons. Keep pressing the buttons until the Opening book progress bar reaches the end. The screen will keep showing "Opening book" from now on with the orange light flashing. This is normal in recovery mode.
  3. Disable drive automount by opening a terminal and typing
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false
    This will avoid all the partitions being mounted when you connect.
  4. At this point connect the USB cable to your computer.
  5. Do a full backup of the faulty Reader. I used Ubuntu's Disks application by selecting the drive on the list, click the two cog wheels icon (top right of the screen) and select Create disk image. Make sure you get a 2Gb .img file. See http://justpaste.it/2qxi.

I guess I could have simply used the dd command to do this full backup.
  6. Now, you may right-click on one of the partitions in the Unity launcher and select Eject. Disconnect your Reader; press the reset button followed by the power button. Remove the card.
  7. Now we'll do individual backups of each partition, one by one, of the good reader. Therefore turn off the good Reader, put the sdcard in it, boot with HOME+MENU as before, and connect the USB cable.
  8. On Ubuntu my Reader's internal drive was /dev/sdb. I will use this in the following commands but you should check the device path for your computer. One easy way is using the Disks application. Once you connect the Reader it will show in the list and it reports the device path.
  9. Create a folder where we will save the partition images. Open a terminal and type
    Code:
    mkdir PRST1
  10. The PRST1 has 10 partitions. If the READER is /dev/sdb, then the partitions will be /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdb10 respectively. /dev/sdb3 is an extended partition (a container partition) and /dev/sdb4 is the Reader partition (the one you see when you connect your Reader normally to your computer). I decided not to copy these two.
    To backup a partition we will use the dd command as follows:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=PRST1/sdb1.bin bs=512
    What this does is create a disk image of the /dev/sdb1 partition called sdb1.bin in the PRST1 folder we created before.
    WARNING: Be very careful not to mix up if= with of=. You may end up overwriting a partition with zeros or with data from another partition.
    Repeat this for each partition you want to copy. Then when finished, Eject the drive, disconnect and reset it.
  11. Now we'll erase the partition table of the faulty Reader. Reconnect the faulty Reader as before. Open Gparted. If it is not installed, install it with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
  12. Select the Reader from the device list and then, from the Device menu, choose Create partition table. You will get a warning that this will erase all data on the drive. When done you should see that all partitions are gone and that the whole internal drive is unallocated space.
  13. Run the Disks application and choose Restore disk image. Choose the disk image of the faulty Reader you had created in step 5 above.
  14. Now we'll copy the partitions from the good PRS-T1 to the faulty one with:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=PRST1/sdb1.bin of=/dev/sdb1
    Do this for all the partitions one by one.
  15. Eject the disk, disconnect the cable, reset it and power on. Good luck.

Last edited by entodoays; 12-21-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Corrections suggested in post 108 of this thread.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #73
salomon
salomon began at the beginning.

Device: none
@entodoays: Can I used for Japanese version?
salomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #74
entodoays
Zealot

What do you mean? Do you intend performing this procedure on a Japanese PRS-T1? If you intend copying the partitions from one PRS-T1 to another, I guess that both must have the same version and same firmware.

In hindsight, I think that it is possible that what solved my problem was the creation of a new partition table. So you might try skipping the steps about copying partitions and simply, do a full backup, erase the partition table (the Gparted step), restore the backup just done. This might solve the problem, if your problem has a similar root cause.

In any case, if this doesn't help, you may try the full procedure, if you have access to another PRS-T1, same version, same firmware.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #75
salomon
salomon began at the beginning.

Device: none
@entodoays: My PRS-T1 do not connected with computer. I don't known why?
salomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amr, hanging, prst1, sony