Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-20-2024, 01:06 AM   #1
tokjdm
tokjdm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Only first page of articles in The Economist

For maybe 2 weeks, articles in certain sections (China and the Americas) only shows the first page. The rest of the article is missing.
tokjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The economist is no longer serving the full text for those articles. Presumably they now want you to have an account and subscribe to read them. I dont have the time right now to investigate and given its just those two sections, not much motivation either. Maybe if they re-institute a full subscription requirement I will look into adding login back to the recipe.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2024, 12:53 PM   #3
hongho71
Enthusiast
hongho71 began at the beginning.

I just noticed the same thing for China and Americas. Can see the full article when logging into The Economist. Is it easy to create a separate Economist recipe with login so users can have that option as well or is it going to require a lot of work? I don't see any catcha requirement so that is one obstacle out of the way.
hongho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:30 PM   #4
tokjdm

Thank you very much. I hope the number of unreadable articles does not grow too much.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:30 PM   #5
hongho71
Enthusiast

Don't thank me please as I haven't done anything. I know nothing about Python programming but decided to give it a shot. Hope the community can offer some help to me.

I am stuck on the login piece. I don't know what the login website is or the login form is for the economist or whether it exist.

This is what I have so far. Everything I tried did not work so far. If I can get this correct, maybe it can work.

def get_browser(self):
br = BasicNewsRecipe.get_browser(self)
if self.username and self.password:
br.open('https://myaccount.economist.com/s/login/')
br.select_form(id='c-lwc-login-form')
br['username'] = self.username
br['password'] = self.password
br.submit()
return br
Advert
Old 04-23-2024, 09:17 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is already fixed by getting the articles in those sections from googles webcache.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:01 AM   #7
hongho71
Enthusiast

Not sure I understand barring the recipe will be updated on a future Calibre release. Does the Economist recipe download from Google Webcache or straight from the Economist website? I am still stuck on the login page where when I inspect the html, I don't see a login form so I don't know what to put in br.select_form or I have to put something else to point the recipe to look for the username and password. That is where I am stuck.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:46 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont need to do anything, just use the builtin recipe as always.
Old 04-25-2024, 03:33 PM   #9
hongho71
Enthusiast

Downloaded the past issues again and it looks like the China section and Americas sections have the full article. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2024, 02:42 AM   #10
tokjdm

Thank you. This week's Economist seems indeed to be complete !
Old 04-27-2024, 12:57 PM   #11
rakushasu
rakushasu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I still get only first pages of articles. And not just one section or two, but a lot of them. This week: Middle East, China, Asia, Americas, Europe, Britain, USA... What can I do to fix it?
rakushasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 08:21 PM   #12
jwhittin
Enthusiast
jwhittin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
In this week's edition I'm getting the same problem on By Invitation, Briefing, Asia, Middle East & Africa, Europe, Britain, Science & Technology, Culture, and The Economist Explains.

Leaders, Letters, China, US, The Americas, International, Special Report, Business, Finance & Economics, and the Obituary all seem to be OK.

Last week the cutting out occurred on only two (different) sections - China and The Americas.

I'm very happy to have a login method as I'm a subscriber - I just much prefer to read on my Kobo rather than on a phone, tablet, or PC.
jwhittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 01:34 AM   #13
sup
Connoisseur
sup began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2012)
Happens to me to, most or all artiles only partially downloaded. I*tried upgrading Calibre to the latest version (ruining the font display) but that does not help either.
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 02:54 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well, I looked at creating a login briefly but the login is now a javascript based monstrosity that goes through salesforce servers. So reverse engineering it will be a fairly painful effort. I dont know why news sites in the US/UK are so fond of these JS based login processes, makes it hard for their own paying customers to access their content.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:58 AM   #15
jwhittin
Enthusiast
jwhittin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
...makes it hard for their own paying customers to access their content.
I agree. Today I've used both their old and new Android apps and login was painful.

And I still would much prefer to read it on my Kobo (if all the content was there)...
jwhittin is offline   Reply With Quote