Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
itdincor
itdincor began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Any Idea How long?

Since I refuse to buy any product, such as Kindle, which requires proprietary software and formats, and absolutely refuse to buy anything at all from Sony, mine present prospects seem limited.

What I'm looking for is an 8" X 10" screen, color capable, on a device which accepts and displays all "normal" text formats. PDF, .txt, .doc, etc., at what I consider a reasonable price.

This for use in reading books from the Gutenberg Project and similar sources, old out of copyright volumes.

Concerning price, since computers which can be considered at least acceptable can be had for $500, I can see no reason for an EReader of mine desires to cost more that $250.

So: 8x10, color, displays all common formats, and NO PROPRIETARY ANYTHING! And nothing from Sony.

Any guess how long (if ever) this might be in coming?
itdincor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm guessing not any time in the near future. Fujitsu's color e-ink devices might come close, maybe. But the price (probably close to $1000) isn't what I'd call reasonable. Also no idea what formats it might support, although given that the device features a Windows button on the front, I'm betting it'll be proprietary as all get out.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Maybe a tablet PC?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdincor View Post
Since I refuse to buy any product, such as Kindle, which requires proprietary software and formats, and absolutely refuse to buy anything at all from Sony, mine present prospects seem limited.

What I'm looking for is an 8" X 10" screen, color capable, on a device which accepts and displays all "normal" text formats. PDF, .txt, .doc, etc., at what I consider a reasonable price.

This for use in reading books from the Gutenberg Project and similar sources, old out of copyright volumes.

Concerning price, since computers which can be considered at least acceptable can be had for $500, I can see no reason for an EReader of mine desires to cost more that $250.

So: 8x10, color, displays all common formats, and NO PROPRIETARY ANYTHING! And nothing from Sony.

There is the Hanlin/lbook/Bebook/etc V3 that is "open" enough. See http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...tail.asp?id=41

As long as the potential market remains small I don't think there'd be major changes in prices. I still can't understand why we Europians have to pay 50% more, though (well, according to exchange rates) and even providing for VAT I guess that multinational companies are out there to exploit us for good

Question: what good is the colour for reading novels/Gutenberg texts?
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
What you are asking for is a tabletpc.

For that price:

1 - tabletpc - would say never;
2 - a eBook reader - there are any now, and would say at least 1.5 to 2.5 years, and no way a that price too.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Maybe a tablet PC?
I doubt you'll find any computer that does not contain hardware protected by patents. The original poster is insisting on "no proprietory anything". I think he's going to struggle to find any computer which meets those requirements. Is any computer built entirely out of non-proprietory components? It seems like a completely unreasonable requirement to me!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True. But the context suggests that itdincor wants to avoid proprietary formats and software. That might just be possible, though not at the price he desires.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Every CPU contains proprietory software at the microcode level; no getting around that .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader

Fair point, Harry.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdincor View Post

Get a used HP TC1000 on ebay.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Get a used HP TC1000 on ebay.
Does it come with Windows? Isn't that proprietary software?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The OP doesn't know what he really wants. he wants something without proprietary software/formats and yet wants to be able to read .doc format which is proprietary to Microsoft. Good luck finding what you want. The best best is to give up on electronic formats and go back to paper.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Does it come with Windows? Isn't that proprietary software?
I "think" that when he refers to "products" that use proprietary formats, he's talking ebook readers ... not any and all computers. It's not possible to operate a computer in any really meaningful manner these days and not use at least some piece of proprietary hardware or software.

But, the HP TC1000 is a good, workhorse type tablet PC that allows reading in portrait or landscape, runs Windows XP, and can read all the formats the poster has mentioned. It is frequently available on eBay for less than $250, has a nice color screen, and the stylus is a very comfortable size for writing and highlighting.

I highly recommend it as a larger form factor ebook reader.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #14
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I "think" that when he refers to "products" that use proprietary formats, he's talking ebook readers ... not any and all computers. It's not possible to operate a computer in any really meaningful manner these days and not use at least some piece of proprietary hardware or software.
That was my reading too, RickyMaveety. But we have some people here who are a little bit on the pedantic side. (But in a good way. Where would we be without accuracy?) I think we have to assume that the original poster is not a total Luddite otherwise he/she would felt have been able to use a computer at all. And I've got some sympathy with them. There is a Babel of formats out there.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
That was my reading too, RickyMaveety. But we have some people here who are a little bit on the pedantic side. (But in a good way. Where would we be without accuracy?) I think we have to assume that the original poster is not a total Luddite otherwise he/she would felt have been able to use a computer at all. And I've got some sympathy with them. There is a Babel of formats out there.

True. There are times that I wish people would be a bit clearer in their posts. If someone rants enough about DRM or proprietary formats, then it's easy to overlook the actual question (if there is an actual question in the post). And, if someone were that much of a Luddite, they wouldn't be too worried about ebook readers at all. Unless they have multiple personality syndrome ... and only one of the personalities is a Luddite (!!) .... say, that would be an interesting base for a short story. Luddite keeps waking up next to pieces of electronic equipment .... hehehe.