Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Kobo Aura 2013

I'm thinking about buying a standard 6inch Kobo Aura to supplement my Kindle. Which Aura is better in your opinion: 2013 or the newer model?

Both look good to me, but I'm leaning towards the 2013 model but it's hard to find. Does anyone know whether there's any way to obtain a 2013 Aura in the UK? I like the screen better and the back of the device seems nicer to hold.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Just my 2 cents, the first one is better, I think. I was very disappointed to learn the sequel had downgraded specs. It has half the ram, lacks microsd. I used koreader with the first aura and it was very good.

I usuaklly shop on ebay or shpock.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 05-13-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Just my 2 cents, the first one is better, I think. I was very disappointed to learn the sequel had downgraded specs. It has half the ram, lacks microsd.
Are you sure about "half the ram"? My memory has the original Aura having 256MB of RAM. I'm sure that the Aura Edition 2 has at least that and possibly 512MB of RAM. And Kobo have made an unannounced hardware change to the Aura Edition 2 late last year. This has an updated CPU and I am pretty sure it will have 512MB of RAM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I assume by "RAM", he/she means storage. How do you get a half a ram (or a full ram) on an ereader, away?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was leaning towards the 1st edition anyway, but what I've heard in this thread and elsewhere has nudged me more towards it. Now I've just got to find somewhere that still sells them in the UK.
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I assume by "RAM", he/she means storage. How do you get a half a ram (or a full ram) on an ereader, away?
If they meant storage, then they are wrong as well, because both editions of the Aura have 4GB of storage.

But, while it is wrong, "half the RAM" makes sense. Each device has RAM, so one having twice as much as the other is feasible. And I know the Kobo devices have either 256MB (Touch, Glo, Mini, Aura) or 512MB (Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE plus probably all the newer devices).
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
I'm thinking about buying a standard 6inch Kobo Aura to supplement my Kindle. Which Aura is better in your opinion: 2013 or the newer model?

Both look good to me, but I'm leaning towards the 2013 model but it's hard to find. Does anyone know whether there's any way to obtain a 2013 Aura in the UK? I like the screen better and the back of the device seems nicer to hold.
I love my original Aura and would recommend one still. But, Kobo is about to release the Clara HD which has a nicer screen and color changing front light. You might want to check that out as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Waylander
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I love my original Aura and would recommend one still. But, Kobo is about to release the Clara HD which has a nicer screen and color changing front light. You might want to check that out as well.
Sounds cool. I'll check it out as well. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Waylander
Fanatic

Have to be honest, upon research, the new Clara doesn't sound that much of a step up. The original Aura still sounds like the way to go for me.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have to be honest, upon research, the new Clara doesn't sound that much of a step up. The original Aura still sounds like the way to go for me.
I guess it depends on how much you can pick up an original Aura for. I bought a refurbished one off of eBay for $50. At that price, it's a great deal. If the Aura you're looking at is closer to $100 and the Clara HD with it's much nicer screen and better front light is $130, then I'd recommend the Clara.

Look at me recommending a device that isn't even available yet. If the Clara comes out and is a steaming pile of crap, please disregard all my messages
Old 05-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Waylander
Fanatic

This looks like a 2013 Kobo Aura? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kobo-Aura...ff66%7Ciid%3A1
Old 05-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It looks like it, yeah. The price feels high to me. YMMV.