Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 02-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC Beta FAQ: Syncing Read information with calibre

I know I need to do these FAQ entries, so I might as well do them now so they can participate in the prerelease program. Each FAQ answer will be a separate post, but for ease of editing I am using spoilers here.

Syncing book "Read" information with calibre
  1. What do you mean by CC's book "Read" information?
    Spoiler:
    CC version 3.3.1 and later are able to mark a book "Read". You set or change this mark by going to Book Details from the main display (not the content server display).

You can set the Read information to one of three values: Yes, No, and empty. It is up to you to choose what these values mean. For example, you can choose Yes to mean "I have read the book", No to mean "I want to read this book soon", and empty to mean "I don't know". You could also choose not to use No, or to use all the values for some other purpose altogether such as "Book needs cleaning".

Because "Read" is now in the grouping drawer, you can choose to see only books with one of the values. You also can choose to limit the books shown to one value (Yes, No, or empty) while grouping on other fields (author, series, etc) by long-pressing on the value. This technique works with all grouping item values such as series or tags.
  2. Can I know the date when I read a book?
    Spoiler:
    Yes. CC saves the current date whenever you launch a reader app on a book. This date is shown in as a tappable link in book details in the "Read" line next to the box, or as "Set date read" if the date has never been set. Tapping on the link opens a dialog allowing you to set/change the date.

If you don't want CC to change the date read when you launch a reader app, go to Settings and uncheck the box "Updating Date Read" in the section "Marking Books Read".
  3. Can I synchronize CC's Read and Date Read information with calibre?
    Spoiler:
    Yes, as long as you are using calibre 1.28 or later. CC's Read information can be synchronized with a calibre Yes/No custom column, and CC's Date Read information can be synchronized with a calibre Date custom column. Syncing happens when you connect to calibre as a wireless device.

You set this up using the following steps:
    1. Create the Yes/No column in calibre. To do this, in calibre click on "Preferences" then "Add your own columns". Click the green Plus to add a new column. Click the "Yes/No" link under Quick Create. Fill out the fields as shown in this screen capture:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	creating_yes_no_column.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	119641
      You can choose whatever lookup name and column heading you want.

Make a note of the lookup name. You will need it in a later step.
    2. Create the Date column in calibre. You do this in a way similar to that used when creating the Yes/No column. After clicking on the green Plus, set the column type to Date. Enter the text for the lookup name and column heading. As before, you can use choose different values for these two values.

Name:	creating_date_column.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	119642
      Again, make a note of the lookup name.
    3. Enter the column lookup names in CC's settings
      In CC, ensure you are not connected then go to Settings and scroll down until you find the "Marking Books Read" options.

Name:	CC_read_settings.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	119643
      Tap "Column for Marked Read". A dialog box will open where you enter the lookup name for the calibre Read Yes/No custom column. Note that the first letter must be a # character; all calibre custom column lookup names begin with that letter.

Name:	entering_lookup_name.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	119644
      Press OK.

Do the same thing for the Column for Date Read, entering the lookup name for the calibre Date custom column.
  4. Can I sync only one of the Read or Date Read values?
    Spoiler:
    Yes. Enter the lookup name only for the column you want to sync.
  5. Can I use calibre columns that I created in the past?
    Spoiler:
    Yes, as long as the columns are the right type (Yes/No and Date). Start with step 3 (question above) and enter their lookup names into CC's dialog box.
  6. Can I change these values in calibre and have them sent to CC?
    Spoiler:
    Yes, values changed in calibre are synced to CC when you connect. For more information see the FAQ answer "What are the rules used to decide whether CC's or calibre's value is used when syncing?"
  7. What are the rules used to decide whether CC's or calibre's value is used when syncing?
    Spoiler:
    The first time you sync (connect as a wireless device) after setting the lookup names, calibre and CC do a special sync. If CC's read value is not empty, then it is synced to the Yes/No calibre column, otherwise if calibre's column is not empty it is synced to CC. The same rule is used for the date read value.

2) For subsequent syncs: if you have changed the value in CC (in book details the value in the box differs from the value shown in calibre's column), then the value in the box is written to calibre's database. Otherwise if the value in calibre's column has changed, that value is written to CC's value (the one shown in the box).

3) If neither CC's nor calibre's value have changed, nothing happens.
  8. I changed the read information in both calibre and CC. What happens when I sync?
    Spoiler:
    If both the value in CC and the value in calibre have changed since the last sync (connection as a wireless device) then the value from CC is used.
  9. What happens to the Read information when I download a book using the content server connection?
    Spoiler:
    If the library from which the book is being downloaded contains a Yes/No custom column with the lookup name entered into CC, then that Read information will be copied to CC. The same is true for the date read column.

Last edited by chaley; 03-18-2014 at 07:30 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote