Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Two Feature Requests for the Next Release

I have two thoughts for ideas for the next release cycle. Both are fairly minor convenience features, but if they aren't too difficult, they might be nice to have...

1) I only use the wireless connection. I imagine that most people never use more then one connection type. How about adding an option in settings to select a preferred connection type. It could be Wireless, Content Server or None. None would leave it working like it currently does and the other ones would go directly to that kind of connection.

2) I go back and forth between the book list and the cover grid a lot. Right now dragging from left to right opens the grouping drawer. How about making it so that dragging from right to left toggles between cover view and list view. I think it would be a handy feature, and the new view sliding out over the old view just seems like it would look so cool.

Regards.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
I have two thoughts for ideas for the next release cycle. Both are fairly minor convenience features, but if they aren't too difficult, they might be nice to have...

1) I only use the wireless connection. I imagine that most people never use more then one connection type. How about adding an option in settings to select a preferred connection type. It could be Wireless, Content Server or None. None would leave it working like it currently does and the other ones would go directly to that kind of connection.
I am not at all sure about the "most people" assertion. Our support emails indicate that the majority uses both. But regardless, I will think about it.
Quote:
2) I go back and forth between the book list and the cover grid a lot. Right now dragging from left to right opens the grouping drawer. How about making it so that dragging from right to left toggles between cover view and list view. I think it would be a handy feature, and the new view sliding out over the old view just seems like it would look so cool.

Regards.
This is almost certainly a no go. That would break closing the grouping drawer with a swipe on the drawer itself.

Ahhh ... you might be suggesting that it do the change only if the drawer is closed, which would work. Not sure if I can detect that swipe, though. Some quick research indicates that this is a hard problem.

Regardless, there is no way that I can slide one view out over the other. That would require that both views exist at the same time, something that would require an almost complete rewrite of the app to make happen.

Another hmmm... Would it be worth having two options instead of one for moving the stuff off the action bar? That would allow moving connect/disconnect while leaving the two buttons that don't take that much space. Gets rid of your problem ....
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #3
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I am not at all sure about the "most people" assertion. Our support emails indicate that the majority uses both. But regardless, I will think about it.
If most people use both, then never mind. I've never even tried the Content server. Is there something I am missing? I just figured that the two options were different ways to get the same results.

Quote:
Ahhh ... you might be suggesting that it do the change only if the drawer is closed, which would work. Not sure if I can detect that swipe, though. Some quick research indicates that this is a hard problem.
Exactly. Only do this if the drawer is closed. The first right to left closes the drawer and and further ones change the view.

Quote:
Regardless, there is no way that I can slide one view out over the other. That would require that both views exist at the same time, something that would require an almost complete rewrite of the app to make happen.
Too bad, because that would look really cool. Not cool enough to do a lot of work on it, but cool if it was easy. Never mind.

Quote:
Another hmmm... Would it be worth having two options instead of one for moving the stuff off the action bar? That would allow moving connect/disconnect while leaving the two buttons that don't take that much space. Gets rid of your problem ....
That would be great. I was originally going to ask for that, but I was embarrassed to because I was the one who asked you to take them off the bar in the first place. That's when I came up with the swiping view. So you would add an option to show nothing (the way it is now), everything, or just the sort and view icons? That would be excellent.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use both, because the behave differently.

Wireless device connection allows a Calibre view of what is on the device and allows me to PUSH books to the device. This mode require I be AT the computer.

Content Server Connection allows me to be anywhere I can get a connection to my server and PULL a book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use both, because the behave differently.

Wireless device connection allows a Calibre view of what is on the device and allows me to PUSH books to the device. This mode require I be AT the computer.

Content Server Connection allows me to be anywhere I can get a connection to my server and PULL a book.
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that. I can see how that would be very useful for some people. I keep all my books on my device, so I wouldn't need the content server, but I may be the non-standard user.

I officially withdraw the suggestion. Unless its really easy.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that. I can see how that would be very useful for some people. I keep all my books on my device, so I wouldn't need the content server, but I may be the non-standard user.
It seems that most people do not keep their entire library on the device, but many do. We don't have any accurate numbers, but I would guess from what we have heard that the number who do transfer the entire library is around 20%.
Quote:
Withdrawal accepted, Captain Needa.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
kaufman

Quote:
Quote:

Plus, now you have plenty of time to put those icons back on the Top bar.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Each command/icon now has its own option.

I will release all of this week's changes tomorrow (Friday) morning after calibre 1.27 is available.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
kaufman

Perfecto. Thanks.