Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-07-2023, 01:44 AM   #1
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Unhappy Simple Touch with glowlight losing support

Just got an email from B&N that the Simple Touch with Glowlight will no longer be supported after June 2024. This is the news I have been dreading, knew it would happen when the Simple Touch lost support awhile back.

I guess I am going to have to decide if I want to continue with a Nook or look into a Kobo.

Any thoughts?
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyta View Post
Just got an email from B&N that the Simple Touch with Glowlight will no longer be supported after June 2024. This is the news I have been dreading, knew it would happen when the Simple Touch lost support awhile back.

I guess I am going to have to decide if I want to continue with a Nook or look into a Kobo.

Any thoughts?
For an ereader, I don't care about support. If it worked fine before support stopped, I would most likely be happy with it after support stopped. FWIW, I only sideload.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:26 AM   #3
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
It depends.

If you use the B&N ecosystem to purchase books, that will end. So if that matters to you, then you need to find something else.

If the device chokes when connected to wifi in 2024 and then the battery charge starts to drop faster like on an unregistered device, that's probably not ideal. If you NEVER connect to wifi this may not be an issue and your device may continue along just fine.

If the device simply goes to hell in 2024 (unlikely) you could root, remove the B&N system and install your reader of choice, etc.

Best to wait and see what "no longer support" will really mean for overall functionality.
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:02 PM   #4
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmyshkin View Post
It depends.

If you use the B&N ecosystem to purchase books, that will end. So if that matters to you, then you need to find something else.

If the device chokes when connected to wifi in 2024 and then the battery charge starts to drop faster like on an unregistered device, that's probably not ideal. If you NEVER connect to wifi this may not be an issue and your device may continue along just fine.

If the device simply goes to hell in 2024 (unlikely) you could root, remove the B&N system and install your reader of choice, etc.

Best to wait and see what "no longer support" will really mean for overall functionality.
Good suggestions, haven't been having any issues with both Glowlights I own but do buy books online from B & N. They are offering me a good discount on a new Nook so I might just get one and still use the old ones to checkout ebooks from my public library.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote