Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 12:53 AM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
redirect to latest version: http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win64
index of past and present calibre versions: http://download.calibre-ebook.com/

If this link is downloading malware, you have a pre-existing infection that is interrupting your download.

If that is not the link you downloaded calibre from, you have clicked on an ad that you shouldn't have...

Millions of people have downloaded calibre without getting malware, I feel safe assuming Kovid isn't distributing malicious software.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 AM   #17
McHunter
Connoisseur
McHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enough

Device: PB TL2 /PB TL3 (M) STOLEN/ PB SURFpad 3 (7.85") / thl T11
Please remember that Malwarebytes in the default config DOES NOT scan for rootkits.

You must manually enabel the scan for rootkits in "Settings/Detection and Protection/Scan for rootkits"

Have you disabled flash, the seems to be at this time attacks that use an bug in the flashplayer that is in all versions of the player.

Are you sure you have installed the "clean" system from an ORIGINAL media?

Last edited by McHunter; 01-25-2015 at 03:23 AM.
McHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2015, 02:46 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

Did you try downloading from one of the alternative download sites - that's what this 40+ year IT Pro would do if he had any doubts about the main d/l link.

He would also pull the downloaded msi file apart and post the evidence of any malware infection.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #19
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I know what to download. There are issues with that site and adware I just did a test by disabling Java Sponsors in my registry and now the website will not even fully load. The adware on that site is so in control that anytime you download calibre you are also downloading the adware and it is installing right along with calibre.
Sorry folks but I am an IT professional and I have my ways of find this out.
I concur with most of the posters here. I have never encountered malware or adware on the Calibre site. Myself and others here have been using Calibre for years and updating regularly through this site without difficulties.

You may be an IT Professional, whatever you mean by that, but in this case you are just plain wrong. A little humility would also not go astray. Because it appears that, even though you are an "IT Professional" your own system is experiencing serious problems. Please try starting from the assumption that what you have been told in this thread is accurate and then utilise your mystical "ways of find this out".
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I guess I could also call myself an IT professional (hardware) with 50+ years of working on computer hardware.

Since I started using Calibre, I never got an infection from a Calibre download. In that time, I think I saw 1 false positive A/V report on the download.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #21
sp000n
sp000n began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What nonsense. There are no trojans of any kind in calibre or its website. If you are convinced otherwise, I suggest you stop using calibre, no one is forcing you to do so.
This.
sp000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not an IT professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #23
McHunter
Connoisseur
McHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enoughMcHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp000n View Post
This.
What do you mean by this comment?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHunter View Post
It is standard internet shorthand for "I agree", for people who are too hip and cool to waste time on the additional two letters (even though that version is fairly short too).

Old 01-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHunter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is standard internet shorthand for "I agree.", for people who are too hip and cool to waste time on the additional two letters (even though that version is fairly short too).

^This.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
While I agree with the other posts here, I do feel that we are all kind of "piling onto" the original poster, and making it less and less likely that he will ever reply to this thread and clarify what he was seeing.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #27
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Well this is a new windows install of the os and calibre is the first site I have been to other than opening the browser which goes to google. ...
What versions of Windows?
What browser?
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #28
McHunter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is standard internet shorthand for "I agree", for people who are too hip and cool to waste time on the additional two letters (even though that version is fairly short too).

Aha, Thanxs.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 AM   #29
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Well this is a new windows install of the os and calibre is the first site I have been to other than opening the browser which goes to google. This has happened to me 5 times before. I am always getting some kind of adware.
on a new windows install, the browser does NOT open to google.

the described symptoms suggest that you have a java based browser infection and there's stuff you are not telling us , like how you caught it ( easily done - e.g. via a fake flash update )
a malwarebytes or housecalls scan will find it.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have found the issue. The issue was with google chrome allowing the adware to be installed when opening the calibre install page. This does not happen with IE nor does it happen on a linux OS with google chrome. So sorry but there is adware on the site and the issue is that chrome will not block it from being installed even when you set the security to prevent it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote