Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2022, 09:20 AM   #46
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I suspect Jon was referring to was using either the paperclip icon or the Manage attachments button in the Attach files box below the message box to upload the image and show a thumbnail. Example below:
Oh, wow! I didn't even know that existed. I guess I don't have to do it now, but Thanks.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:57 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've had many DOH! moments over the years when someone has pointed out the obvious that I had been completely oblivious to. Misery does indeed love company!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #48
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Guy had a car for several years and I was getting it off him.
"Unfortunate the boot is so small," he said.
I twisted two knobs and lifed out the false floor to reveal extra depth. Then actuated a lever to slide both back seats forward a little.
"Well, I need a bigger car all over anyway..."

I used to be famous for reading manuals. Gave it up and read fiction now. Also makers have stopped writing them. You get hints instead.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #49
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could a moderator change the title of this thread to something like:
Quote:
Calibre and Editor Appearing to Not Run, But Using 10% of CPU
I'm not wedded to that title, but it really should be something different from what I first saddled it with and I can't come up with anything better (or shorter).
Old 12-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #50
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Thanks for the thread name change. But, it's not just a Windows 11 problem. I first noticed it on Windows 11 21H2, but the problem persisted across an update to Windows 11 *22H2*, a mostly clean (kept my data) re-install of Windows 11 22H2 and now, a full, clean install of Windows 10 22H2. So, the [Windows 11] tag isn't actually valid.

Sorry.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:09 AM   #51
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
Thanks for the thread name change. But, it's not just a Windows 11 problem. I first noticed it on Windows 11 21H2, but the problem persisted across an update to Windows 11 *22H2*, a mostly clean (kept my data) re-install of Windows 11 22H2 and now, a full, clean install of Windows 10 22H2. So, the [Windows 11] tag isn't actually valid.

Sorry.
This kind of annoyance makes me glad that I chose to keep the 2019 Windows version shipped with my laptop.

I debloated it, de-"modernized" it and have since installed only critical updates. In fact, I'd still be happy with Seven, if it had not been phased out along with most programs compatibility and consequent "modernization"...

I remember reading somewhere that MS goal is to ultimately eradicate the classic UI, so I plan to stick with it for as long as possible. (side rant: IMO, Google is also to blame for MS's "modernization" path)
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 05:17 AM   #52
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Just a thought: if it happens again, what happens if you go to the task manager, right-click calibre.exe, and click 'analyze wait chain'?

A few times I've had issues with the generic InstallShield (used to swap out 16-bit stub installers on older games) getting stuck in the background until I close seemingly random programs such as Scrivener.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-12-26 06_16_53-Analyze wait chain.png
Views:	117
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	198593

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-26-2022 at 05:20 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #53
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Just a thought: if it happens again, what happens if you go to the task manager, right-click calibre.exe, and click 'analyze wait chain'?

A few times I've had issues with the generic InstallShield (used to swap out 16-bit stub installers on older games) getting stuck in the background until I close seemingly random programs such as Scrivener.

Attachment 198593
I did the T/ALT-f4 dance a few times until the problem happened with the editor. In Task Manager, I went to the Details tab and right-clicked on each of the three calibre-related tasks there (two calibre-parallel.exe instances (one of which appears to be the "stuck" one) and a calibre.exe instance). Selecting Analyze Wait Chain gave me pop-ups saying they were running normally.

I also saw several AMD related processes at the top of that list. Doing Analyze Wait Chain on amdow.exe gave me:

"One or more threads of amdow.exe are in waiting status:
- amdow.exe (PID: 11068) Thread: 11072
- amdow.exe (PID: 11068) Thread: 11104"

Of course, I don't know if that's related or if its expected (it continues to say that even after I shut down the calibre processes).

EDIT: I rebooted and checked that amdow.exe immediately thereafter. It still had those waiting threads. So, I assume it's just processing in the background and is expected.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 12-26-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #54
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuddleyarbl View Post
I did the T/ALT-f4 dance a few times until the problem happened with the editor.
Have you tried dancing in Safe mode for a while - if the problem doesn't manifest then the cause may be due to 'interference' from a 3rd party program that runs at start up.

Task Manager Startup tab has a Disable/Enable toggle - disable everything, then do the T/Alt+F4 dance. If the problem doesn't manifest, you need to discover the culprit 3rd party program by 'trial and error'. If you run a lot of 3rd party programs at startup, use the Disable/Enable toggle to do a binary chop.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #55
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
dang! It seemed worth a try, anyways.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:22 PM   #56
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Yep. Tried Safe Mode. The problem doesn't seem to happen there.

I finally installed AMD's old, Recommended graphics drivers (version 22.5.1 from way back in late April 2022). That's replacing their latest drivers (version 22.11.2). The problem doesn't seem to happen with these old drivers either. So, it looks like the problem is caused by AMDs GPU drivers (or their associated Adrenalin software) from sometime after that. And, since the problem doesn't seem to happen with the October 2022 drivers installed with Windows by default, I'd say it happened sometime after October.

I guess I'll continue using their old GPU drivers (at least until I run across a game that has issues with them).
Old 02-14-2023, 11:46 PM   #57
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Knock on wood, but it LOOKS like the latest AMD graphics drivers (Adrenalin 23.2.1 (WHQL) dated 2/14/2023) have fixed this issue. I downloaded and installed them (w/ the factory reset option selected) and tested Calibre by repeatedly editing a book and then closing the editor ("T" | ALT-F4). I did that a couple of dozen time without problem. I also did the same with the Viewer ("V" | ALT-F4). Similarly, no problem. Here's hoping that continues.

My assumption was AMD's handing of the OpenGL stuff that QT WebEngine uses (that Calibre uses that lay in the house that Jack built ) was not up-to-snuff. There's nothing in AMD's Release Notes specifically about OpenGL fixes. But, regardless, I'll take whatever the fix was.