Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #46
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Joined.

I downloaded Scrivener, taking advantage of their extended Trial for NaNoWriMo, but I'm yet to even open it, trembling in fear of confusion.

I really should properly get started...what's this "snowflake" thing? What about a title? How does a gas barbecue work? It's all so intimidating.

Cheers,
Marc
Not available on Windows...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #47
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #48
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
(doggie's tail is wagging so furiously he's about to take flight)

I can't wait to hear about all the Vera stories. What, you ask, is this about Vera stories? Well, of course all MR members will be writing Vera stories - whether you admit it or not!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #49
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also started a thread in the social group to post daily tallies.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #50
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Created MobileRead Writer's Corner group

If you desire, go to the NaNoWriMo forums to join a group I created called:

Mobileread Writer's Corner
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #51
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Joined the Social Group, not sure I want to call myself a "writer" just yet--we'll see how it goes.

I downloaded Storybook (http://storybook.intertec.ch/joomla/) to try. It helps track scenes by character, location, and date. Could be useful, could be a(nother) excuse to organize instead of writing! <sigh> Oh well. It will soon be the 1st and then we will see, won't we!

Thanks for the snowflake link, Dadio.

Fi

Doh! I just realized your link, pking, is to NaNoWriMo--will do! I think I saw "Writer's Corner" and immediately panicked!! lol!

Last edited by Filark; 10-27-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added the "doh" clause ;)
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #52
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I downloaded Storybook (http://storybook.intertec.ch/joomla/) to try.
I saw that today in another NaNoWriMo post and though I'm familiar with yWriter 5, I haven't tried StorYbook and think I will. Power Writer is still my fave, but I'm planning right now to use yWriter 5 for this NaNoWriMo.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #53
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I downloaded Scrivener, taking advantage of their extended Trial for NaNoWriMo, but I'm yet to even open it, trembling in fear of confusion.

Cheers,
Marc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Scrivener is useful. Just be sure to do the tutorial. Twice.
Or start to do the tutorial, get bored, and figure it out by yourself Don't be nervous about using it, Marc, it's a great product Even if it has taken me over a year to discover I can import web pages...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #54
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I like the snowflake method. I like it a lot. =)
This..makes sense.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #55
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Not available on Windows...
Ha ha! (Sorry, petty and misdirected schadenfreude caused by the ATO still forcing me to use Windows to submit my tax return, and then billing me heavily for that privilege).

Would you like me to investigate Windows alternatives? I found Scrivener via a general "writing tools" reference, and I can probably find it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
The snowflake method:

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

It's for plotters, ie those who like to plot a novel before writing it, as opposed to those who write by the seat of their pants.
Ahh, thanks for that. I think I'm a combo-deal, plotting by the seat of my pants. That'll help me over the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Or start to do the tutorial, get bored, and figure it out by yourself Don't be nervous about using it, Marc, it's a great product Even if it has taken me over a year to discover I can import web pages...
I went through the turorial once yesterday. I'll do it again today. It looks pretty easy to figure, like you say - I especially like the "Full screen" mode (green-on-black-new-courier, baby, yeah!) - but it might let a couple of things stick so I'm not bumped out mid-mindstream.

Write now though, I've got to go collect and mulch palm leaves and bamboo trimmings...

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #56
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once you get the hang of it, I think it's pretty flippin' sweet. I just don't understand the "Inspector" it doesn't do much inspecting.

Now, I have to figure out how people that live under the sea(but don't know they are under the sea) go to the bathroom and get fresh water. Anyone have any ideas? It's really been racking my brain for two days.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #57
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now, I have to figure out how people that live under the sea(but don't know they are under the sea) go to the bathroom and get fresh water. Anyone have any ideas? It's really been racking my brain for two days.
A combination of recycling and desalination?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #58
jaxx6166
Wizard

That makes sense. I'm not sure about the desalinization though. The whole premise is this city/state kind of uses an experimental technology (read forcefield) to shield themselves from a major disaster and then it ends up submerging and falling to the bottom of the sea. Everything in the city/state survives in its native form, trees/mountains/etc. because the force field ends up providing perfect pressure and air and stuff.
Reclaiming the waste water works really well. I suppose I could send the hero off to go find the piece to fix the broken pipe (Eden? LoL) .. .. or something.

I'm done hijacking now =)
Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #59
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm done hijacking now =)
Is it even possible to hijack your own thread?

This thread probably has a shelf-life of not long past the end of November, and it seems particularly focussed on the writing. So I don't think here's an unreasonable place for you to ask your question (nor the rest of us to ask our own). But if we don't ask (or you, as the OP, don't want) those types of questions in this thread, perhaps in the Group instead? Your choice, I'd say. I'm happy wherever.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #60
pshrynk

Two days to go until a chunk of us disappear into the fog of deadline writing. the staring at the blank screen until blood appears on our foreheads. The total lack of awareness of the world around us. The disdain of our loved ones. The feeling deep down inside that we are unworthy and a total fraud.

Or is that just me?