Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Windows won't recognize Kobo

I have a Kobo Aura. I cannot get it Windows to recognize my Kobo on either my laptop (Windows 10) or my husband's desktop (windows 7). The kobo knows when it is plugged in, I press "connect to computer" then I get an error message from Windows 10 telling me usb device not recognized , the last usb device I connected malfunctioned.

It has worked in the past intermittently for me.
What I've tried tonight:

- tried multiple cables, including my husband's Kobo cable (his Kobo works fine BTW and is recognized)
- tried different usb ports (2 on my laptop) and with and without a hub (it never liked hub before)
- turned off the wireless
- done a factory reset (now have no books on it ).

call Kobo tech support (useless, they wanted me to clear my Google cache could not seem to get in their thick heads that I use Calibre, don't use Adobe digital editions, don't use Overdrive) and I don't want to transfer wirelessly
Apparently someone will call me back tomorrow but I don't expect much help from them.

Apparently I have the latest software on the thing but no books anymore.

Very frustrated, anyone help?
Do you think it is a hardware issue? It was bought last February 18th so it should be still covered under their 1 year warranty. I have the original box and bill.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Purrceyz; 01-18-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'd wait for their call. It sounds like you've done everything you can do. I had a problem with a Kobo Aura, the original one, when they first came out and I called their support. It took about 3 weeks of calling every day before I finally got someone on the phone. It sounds like they've improved now. Anyway, when I finally got him on the phone he was eager to help and he solved the problem. I don't recall now what that problem was.

I currently have 3 of the original Auras and I have a couple of neighbors who have them and I keep those updated since they don't have Wifi. I've never had a problem connecting one to a computer so I would guess it isn't a common problem.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2019, 01:03 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrceyz View Post
Any suggestions?
You might want to try Nirsoft's USBDeview utility. Remove all the unknown USB devices (most will have device descriptor failed in the description field). That way on your next connection, your Kobo may have a chance to be correctly recognized.

If you are using an USB 3 port, I would also suggest picking up a USB 2.0 hub and using that between your computer and your Kobo.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote