Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Minor Request about Calibre Version Management

When I open the Calibre app (Win10, 64 bit) it very nicely tells me that a new version is available.

I like to stay current, so I always take the opportunity to update

So using v3.23 it let me know that v3.24 is released

However, it only seems to notify me when it's a 'second level' release, like v3.23 --> v3.24, but not for a 'third level' release like v3.24 --> v3.24.2

I only found about the quick .2 bug fix by reading the forums

Would it possible to notify the user should there be a 'third level' version release?

Thanks

Last edited by phossler; 05-27-2018 at 07:44 PM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is interesting is 3.24.1 is what is showing on the RSS feed, not 3.24.2
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is interesting is 3.24.1 is what is showing on the RSS feed, not 3.24.2
I think that's because the What's New page didn't get updated

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's deliberate. point-point releases are deliberately not notified, because they are meant to fix only small bugs that affect only a small subset of calibre functionality. As such I dont want to spam all calibre users with so many update notifications.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's deliberate. point-point releases are deliberately not notified, because they are meant to fix only small bugs that affect only a small subset of calibre functionality. As such I dont want to spam all calibre users with so many update notifications.
Both very good points, but it's just that if I also have the small bug that is already addressed by a point-point update, I won't know it until the bug shows up. There's really no way to know that it's been already addressed unless I read it in the forums, which is easily overlooked if I skip the post based on the subject line.

To my fuzzy recollection, there's been very few point-point updates, so it hasn't been a really big deal, but 3.24 did have 2

Maybe set a flag that says "Last Update Notification = 3.24.2" and don't show it until the next one (i.e. 3.24.3 or 3.25)

Either way, I can live with it

Thanks
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Both very good points, but it's just that if I also have the small bug that is already addressed by a point-point update, I won't know it until the bug shows up. There's really no way to know that it's been already addressed unless I read it in the forums, which is easily overlooked if I skip the post based on the subject line.
I completely agree. I often skip 3.x to 3.x+1 updates because the new features don't add anything for me, and I have no interest in staying on the bleeding edge just for the sake of it. (I just went from 3.17 to 3.24, and even then I would have stayed with 3.17 a while longer if I hadn't needed to reinstall.) So the notification sits there in the bottom of the main window and doesn't bother me; I look at the new features when an update is announced and decide if I can be bothered or not.

On the other hand, if I install 3.x and then find there's a bug, being told that a bugfix release 3.x.1 or 3.x.2 is available is important to me. Otherwise I (and others) end up spamming the forums unnecessarily. (And if I were interested in staying on the bleeding edge, not being notified about updates won't help me do that either.)

Last edited by Phssthpok; 06-01-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

And a further point: I have seen update notifications for 3.x.1 releases in the past, shortly after 3.x.0, because I was still on an earlier version. At the moment there is a message in the bottom right of my Calibre window saying "Update found: 3.25.0". Presumably I will also be notified if 3.25.1 is released -- but anyone who already upgraded to 3.25.0 won't be notified. This seems ridiculous to me.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
And a further point: I have seen update notifications for 3.x.1 releases in the past, shortly after 3.x.0, because I was still on an earlier version.
An excellent observation, there you go:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...0d8ad4a69ac1c2
Old 06-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #9
phossler
Wizard

@kovid --

I read the comments on the patch, and tried to follow the code but didn't understand it (my fault, not the code's)

Does this mean that if I'm on version …

a. … 3.24.0 then I'll get a notification that 3.25.1 if available (I think yes)

but

b. … 3.25.0 then I'll NOT get a notification that 3.25.1 if available?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

it means that you will get only one popup notification per X.XX release, regardless of what version you are on.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:43 AM   #11
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
it means that you will get only one popup notification per X.XX release, regardless of what version you are on.
So as I understand it, this means that I will no longer be notified of ANY minor version updates, rather than (as at present) being notified about minor version updates to major versions I haven't yet installed? I'd prefer to be notified of ALL updates -- minor updates don't happen very often, after all.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:43 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes you will never be notified of minor updates. And no, that is not going to change.