Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #181
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm listening to audiobooks with my iPhone 6s.
I do too (on my 5 SE), but not in the pool. Way too large for the pool.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #182
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Size is more important than storage for this application. It needs to be comfortable clipped to your goggle strap. That has been hard to find, except for a retro-waterproofing version of iPod that is, frankly, not that great a solution, and doesn't support apps such as Audible's app.
Yes, partly I agree. However, 8Gb really is way too little for $180. My Spotify size is over 9Gb already. My Audible is on another device, so I can't check how much space that is taking right now...

In this day and age, I personally wouldn't want to buy a device that has less than 16Gb available for audio. Or it should have removable storage.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #183
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
I've had Skullcandy. Great little earbuds.

How was the sound on the Sennheisers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used the Kudo earbuds for several years. They were inexpensive enough that I had 3 or 4 pair stashed in various places. Also worked very well for hands free phone usage. I never had any fail on me. The wires were definately sturdier than the Skullcandy earbuds.

Now that I'm back in the office, I alternate between the Beats bluetooth over the ear headphones and Boise QuietComfort 20 Accoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones. Both rather expensive, but both do a great job of blocking out the noise around me. It's a necessity since I'm in an open, very noisy office and unlike management, I actually have to think to get work done.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #184
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I listen to audio books with my Echoes, Nanos, itouches, and rarely now, tablets. I tried to get the Shuffle to work, but that only really worked when it was a single file. I mostly use the Fire for text to speech rather than regular audio books. Even the Kindle Basic now does text to speech, so you can listen to books that have no audio book.

I've been using JVC sport ear buds that go around the ear for some years. So long as the cats don't get them they last well especially since they switched from an end on insertion to an elbow insertion.

Thanks all for the reminder about phones playing even if they are no longer phones. I have a net10 phone I can't sell, but I can certainly load it with some audio books for my cousin's 11 year old.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-01-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #185
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I listen to audio books with my Echoes, Nanos, itouches, and rarely now, tablets. I tried to get the Shuffle to work, but that only really worked when it was a single file.

Thanks all for the reminder about phones playing even if they are no longer phones. I have a net10 phone I can't sell, but I can certainly load it with some audio books for my cousin's 11 year old.
That phone should have the same capabilities as a tablet or an iPod touch.

My primary audiobook player is a cheap no-contract Android phone that hasn't been activated.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #186
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Currently I mostly listen (to Audible) on Bluetooth speakers connected to an Echo.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #187
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Currently I mostly listen (to Audible) on Bluetooth speakers connected to an Echo.
I thought I would do more of that than I do. But when I'm in the office (and therefore alone), I'm usually working, so listening to a book is out. So, instead, I listen to Amazon Music mostly. Oh, and manage the lights.

With my DW gone for the next 10 days, I might just do a bit more book listening. But what I'm really waiting for is my new Delphin Waterproof wearable. This was due in July, but they had to push it back because a key part didn't last as they'd hoped, and they had to change suppliers. But I'm hopeful that it will be here soon. I'm _really_ tired of switching to my iPod which doesn't sync with my iPhone or my Echo or my car, or anything!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #188
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I mostly listen on Android phone or iPod Touch or non-Audible books on my waterproof MP3 player. But during my insomniac bouts (pretty much every night), I'll listen to Audible books through my nightstand Dot; it's nice not to have to look at a screen. I just have to keep restarting and setting a sleep timer. And again. And again. And....
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #189
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I mostly listen on Android phone or iPod Touch or non-Audible books on my waterproof MP3 player. But during my insomniac bouts (pretty much every night), I'll listen to Audible books through my nightstand Dot; it's nice not to have to look at a screen. I just have to keep restarting and setting a sleep timer. And again. And again. And....
I tend to only listen to already read or listened to when trying to fall asleep. That way it doesn't bother me what I miss.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 AM   #190
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Ouch, that's not great. My sympathies, though I find that most books will drop me out at night. And these days, my current meds are nearly foolproof. (Gabapentin has the side effect of being a rather effective sleep aid, without the next morning hangover. Not that that is why I have to take it. )

Quote:
I tend to only listen to already read or listened to when trying to fall asleep. That way it doesn't bother me what I miss.
I'm with you. I'll re-listen to books when I expect them to further an afternoon nap. Works really well if I'm careful about which book I choose.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #191
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are you listening to audiobooks ON?

Since my last trip to the audiologist I'm listening to audiobooks on my new Bluetooth hearing aids. It's the only way to listen. The fact that they're CIC (Completely In the ear Canal) devices leads to some interesting situations. Someone asked me a question at Planet Fitness the other day and I apologized for the difficulty in understanding her because the voices in my head were drowning her out. The fellow next to me laughed, so I pulled one of many hearing aids out and held it close enough to his ear that he could hear Elizabeth Klett reading Jane Eyre for Librivox. See? There ARE voices in my head. You can hear them, too.

Best things to do while listening? Crossword Jigsaw puzzles still top my list. Word puzzles I don't recommend, unless you're a pasty-faced android assigned to a Star Fleet ship as they demand too much of the same parts of your brain's attention as the books. The second best thing is probably walking.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 08-03-2017 at 04:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM   #192
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Since my last trip to the audiologist I'm listening to audiobooks on my new Bluetooth hearing aids. It's the only way to listen. The fact that they're CIC (Completely In the ear Canal) devices leads to some interesting situations. Someone asked me a question at Planet Fitness the other day and I apologized for the difficulty in understanding her because the voices in my head were drowning her out. The fellow next to me laughed, so I pulled one of many hearing aids out and held it close enough to his ear that he could hear Elizabeth Klett reading Jane Eyre for Librivox. See? There ARE voices in my head. You can hear them, too.

Best things to do while listening? Crossword puzzles still top my list. Word puzzles I don't recommend, unless you're a pasty-faced android assigned to a Star Fleet ship as they demand too much of the same parts of your brain's attention as the books. The second best thing is probably walking.
The hearing aids sound very Neal Stephenson-esque.
Do they let you hear a whisper at 100 yards and pick up frequencies only dogs and Superman can hear?

Aren't crossword puzzles word puzzles? It's kind of right there in the name.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #193
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The hearing aids sound very Neal Stephenson-esque.

Do they let you hear a whisper at 100 yards and pick up frequencies only dogs and Superman can hear?...

I wish! But I'd be willing to wager the CIA has ones with those capabilities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...Aren't crossword puzzles word puzzles? It's kind of right there in the name.

Oops! I meant to write jigsaw puzzles. Had crosswords on the brain while I was posting.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #194
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ah! Jigsaw. That makes much more sense.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #195
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The second best thing is probably walking.
I have to give a plug for swimming, an activity that is simultaneously very enjoyable and very boring. Audiobooks transform swimming into sheer joy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote