Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-04-2019, 05:28 AM   #28546
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Since I was able to persuade my local library to acquire the last two books of Chuck Wendig’s Star Wars: Aftermath trilogy (they already had the first), it seemed only fair that I should tackle those. The first two were solid entries in the new canon but didn’t “wow” me, and I’m about to start the third.

I will confess to being intrigued by the question of how the cliffhangerish revelation at the end of book two will drive book three, and whether that will shed any light on either Episode 7 or the upcoming movie.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #28547
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just got the second of the Elements of Horror books, Air. The first two stories were intense! Continuing with the collection today.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #28548
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Continuing with Tyger Burning by T.C.McCarthy
Which ended up being an OK Mil SF story, but not enough to tempt me to any sequels.

Next up: Paddington Goes to Town by Michael Bond and Duplicate Death by Georgette Heyer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:43 PM   #28549
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Read The Haunting of Tram Car 015 in one sitting on Monday. It was...decent? I thought the premise was far more interesting than the execution.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #28550
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Finished After the Wind: Tragedy on Everest One Survivor's Story.

I've read a few different books about the 1996 Everest Climb, and found this one added another perspective.

This one, The Climb has been my favorite so far, and is the most unbiased in my view.

After reading more about that climb, I've lowered my like of Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. I tend to believe the view that his version is filled with error that he has refused to correct.

Also finished The Nun's Story, a book I'd been wanting to read for some time. The movie with Audrey Hepburn has always been a favorite of mine. I don't know where I got the digital version, I came across it in Calibre but have no recollection of where it came from. I don't see a Kindle version on Amazon.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #28551
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
After reading more about that climb, I've lowered my like of Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. I tend to believe the view that his version is filled with error that he has refused to correct.
I've often wondered about this. I enjoyed the book, but ...

Thanks for the alternatives.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #28552
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Forgot to mention that my husband and I both recently read South: The Story of Shackleton’s Last Expedition 1914-1917 written by Shackleton himself.

We had read Endurance a few months back, which was one of the best books I've ever read. Everyone we've recommended it to has enjoyed it. If you like non-fiction these books are must reads.

This one fills in some of the blanks and is more detailed, but still just as interesting. There is a movie too we found and watched recently, which was also very good.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #28553
SteveEisenberg
Wizard
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Fire HD 8 (2016)
I don't normally say something about a book I've not finished, but the one I'm reading now -- The Beneficiary -- is too incredibly good to go bad in the second half.

Today, Barbara and I watched The Philadelphia Story, which is based on, if not the life, then at least the personality, of one of the real-life characters in The Beneficiary. Bouncing fiction and reality off each other makes the movie better.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #28554
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Just finished reading An Elegant Defense: The Extraordinary New Science of the Immune System: A Tale in Four Lives by Matt Richtel. A good book, interesting information on the human immune system.

I have some extra down-time at work right now, so I am trying to get a better grip on my ebook collection: cleaning up metadata in Calibre and better tracking what I've read and my TBR.

Meanwhile, I'm nursing along Randall Munroe's How To and maybe I'll try Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #28555
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I don't normally say something about a book I've not finished, but the one I'm reading now -- The Beneficiary -- is too incredibly good to go bad in the second half.

Today, Barbara and I watched The Philadelphia Story, which is based on, if not the life, then at least the personality, of one of the real-life characters in The Beneficiary. Bouncing fiction and reality off each other makes the movie better.
Sold! Well, borrowed. I love The Philadelphia Story and this sounds like fun.

I'm reading Hitlerland: American Eyewitnesses to the Nazi Rise to Power by Adam Nagorski, which is what it says it is.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #28556
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
I've also started Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency for the New Leaf Book Club discussion next week and it's delightful. Not a book I would have found on my own. I see by Goodreads that several MR members have read it and enjoyed it; I hope people will drop into the discussion.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #28557
poohbear_nc
2020 Hindsight!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Enjoying some ghost stories by F. Marion Crawford. Quite atmospheric and effectively spooky ... perfect for Halloween reading.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #28558
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Which ended up being an OK Mil SF story, but not enough to tempt me to any sequels.

Next up: Paddington Goes to Town by Michael Bond and Duplicate Death by Georgette Heyer.
The Paddington was a more sequential series of stories than usual.

Duplicate Death was a good murder mystery, featuring some old characters later on in their timelines.

Next I read Hornblower and the 'Atropos' and 'The Happy Return', and I'm following up with 'A Ship of the Line'. These three form the omnibus volume 'Captain Hornblower, R.N.'.

I'm also reading a recent freebie "The Thief of Kalimar', but it hasn't really enthused me yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #28559
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm currently reading my first Hobb book, "Assasin's Apprentice," and I'm loving it.

I just bought the newest bundle of her books, and plan to buy the earlier bundle, and also the other 2 in the immediate series that I'm reading.

Her work is very engaging and thoughtful. The pace is leisurely and thought-provoking, and her characters seem real: they reflect and think.

I highly recommend the book I'm reading. From what I've read about the other 8 titles in the overall series, she is not to be missed!
Mine is a very late response I know, but might as well concur with your first post, as I likewise enjoy her writing very much ... read about 10 so far, in order, and have all the rest waiting to go when I am ready.

You can see what else I have been up to more recently, at the following.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=137

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=39

All of which I am happy to discuss here if anyone desires to do so.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #28560
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Duplicate Death was a good murder mystery, featuring some old characters later on in their timelines.
Quite a while ago now, but I enjoyed all of Heyer's mysteries.

I also started reading her more regular Historical Romance, and have read a few of those, in order.

My mum was a huge Georgette Heyer fan, had all the books (a few rare ones aside, which I managed to collect later) and she read most of them many times over. I never imagined that one day I would want to read them myself.

In a way, I came to them via Rafael Sabatini in particularly, who I had started reading many years earlier and loved, and are close to having read all of his now (fiction and non-fiction). Sabatini had lead me to Mary Johnston and Stanley J. Weyman, both of whom he was a fan of. I also came across and enjoyed some Jeffery Farnol, reputedly the Georgette Heyer for male readers ... or the male Georgette Heyer.

So having previously read and enjoyed her mystery novels, I decided to give her other books a go, and I remain very impressed with what I have read so far.

In fact, I was so impressed, that I went out and bought all the hard covers (paperback mysteries aside) and searched high and low for all her rare books until I got all of them, which my mum was then able to read. I also put my mum onto her Mysteries, which she'd never read. All second-hand from antiquarian etc book stores.

I hope to return to Historical Romance and Swashbuckling next year.

Quote:
Next I read Hornblower and the 'Atropos' and 'The Happy Return', and I'm following up with 'A Ship of the Line'. These three form the omnibus volume 'Captain Hornblower, R.N.'.
Read and enjoyed the first few of those too ... way back when.

Last edited by Timboli; 10-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote