Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What model iPad do you plan on purchasing?
16G, WiFi, NO 3g - $499 19 22.09%
32G, WiFi, NO 3g - $599 7 8.14%
64G, WiFi, NO 3g - $699 12 13.95%
16G, WiFi, 3g - $629 2 2.33%
32G, WiFi, 3g - $729 6 6.98%
64G, WiFi, 3g - $829 8 9.30%
I can't decide 4 4.65%
I am waiting for the iPad v2.0 7 8.14%
I don't plan on buying one, I just want to see the results 21 24.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Question Which iPad is for you?

Just curious what models people are considering and why?

I know I want a 64G model, I keep waffling between with and without 3G.

I just got PM'ed the following and thought I'd share with everyone:

Quote:
What exactly is 3G and how is it different from wifi?
3g is the cellular wireless data network. like using a cell phone.

with wifi, you can use the ipad at home, starbucks, a hotel with wifi, etc. most places have wifi free these days. McDonalds started offering free wi-fi nationwide in the US as of jan 1 2010.

the 3g cellular network is the AT&T connection. you'd be able to use it anywhere you can get a cell phone signal, off in a park somewhere, the beach, driving down the highway. apple is charging $130 more for the necessary hardware for a cell signal. in the US it only works with AT&T who has offered two plans, a $15 a month (for 250megs of data transferred, which they say is fine for most people) or $30 a month for "unlimited" (which really isn't, it's a 5gig limit which is fine for 99.9% of people).

there will be no contract, unlike a cell phone, and you can sign up for one month and cancel the next. useful when you go on a vacation or or unexpected trip with no wifi available. you can sign up (and presumably cancel) right from the iPad itself, but only if you already have the 3G hardware, which is not something that can be added at a later time.

Last edited by scottjl; 02-13-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added 3g question
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'm thinking the $499 16G for now-just to see how it works out. I was going to go with the 3G one, since there is no contract, but I'm not sure-we really get terrible 3G service here in the SF area from AT&T.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm waiting for V 2.0--and to see what other companies put out.

If I was buying one I'd go for the $499 model. Don't need 3G as I'd mainly use it in the home and the office where I have WiFi. And when I travel for personal reasons I usually pick places with free WiFi to stay, and for work I can charge it to them if it's a hotel that charges $10 a day or whatever.

16GB would do me on space as I'd mainly use it to read and mark up pdfs of scholarly journal articles.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
fizzwinkus
Rookie
fizzwinkus began at the beginning.

Device: Philips Nino500, Palm 500, Palm 3c, Palm Vx, PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad
i'm definitely getting the 64gb one.
not so sure about 3g ,but $145 for internet everywhere isn't too bad a price to pay on a trip or some sort of emergency. two trips and 80 is downright cheap.
fizzwinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
I was also planning on the entry-level model just to see how it works out, but will probably go for (and have voted for) the 32Gb. I expect to upgrade to the iPad 2.0 when it's available and I think the 32Gb will be a bit more useful further down the line as a general 'house' tablet.

Not interested in 3G at the moment - the things I plan to use it for I don't need to be permanently online, and I hope it'll tether via bluetooth; if not I'm rarely far away from a WiFi signal.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
In my household, we will definitely go for the 64GB 3G X2. Even if we don't get a connection for both iPads straight away, since we still want to see what kind of data plan will be offered here in Japan (competing companies?)and anyway, obviously we have WiFi at home. It is also available in many locations out and about. I've been wondering if I will use my iPhone for anything else except phone calls once my 'precious' arrives .
I have lots of gadgets, electronics and other nice things, but I don't think I've ever been as excited about anything in my life as I am about the iPad. It's just so... SciFi! Maybe my very first car as a teenager..... but nothing else.....
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I voted for a 64 GB with wifi. But truthfully, I don't know. I'm not sure what the 3g gives you besides phone based internet - maybe GPS? So I need to do some research. My other debate is go small, in case something great arrives in version 2 - though its hard to see what that would be. I bought an ipod touch first gen, and then later wished I'd had the speaker, which showed up on the version 2.....ah so many decisions, and sooo looong to wait.

Vicki
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I will opt for the 32 gig 3 G model to start with and then see what Apple come up with with their second generation of this device. 3G is essential for me given I do not have access to Wifi on a regular basis.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I'm tempted to get one soon after release, being a Gadget geek though I've got a few more things on my list to get before it.

Still if I do end up getting one after release, its probably going to be the 32GB without 3G. If apple has stuck to the current standard SIM format, I've probaly gladly paid the $130 for the 3G but as I'll primary be using it outside the US, the lack of support for that SIM format would just make it an expensive extra I could not use.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm holding out. I want to see what issues they intend to resolve in Gen2, and how they interpret the criticisms that have been laid before them, and whether they decide to drop their prices a bit more.

I also want to give other products a chance to come to market. If they hold back too much longer, I'll splurge for the cheapest iPad and expect to upgrade to something better later, like I did with the PRS-505. I was hoping I'd only have to go through 1 or 2 major purchases before reaching the "right" device, but perhaps I can indulge my gadget nerd impulses a little bit.

Patience is a virtue...but not my virtue.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I have an iPod Touch 16GB and even with dozens of apps installed, several movies and some music I'm using less than 8GB. So it would seem 16GB is plenty big for me. Also, since 3G isn't possible for me, it makes any choice must simpler.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #12
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I am going to buy the 64G 3G Version. I have considered the options. My choice is based on the fact that even tho I do not use nearly that amount of memory on my iphone, I will expect usage and applications on the ipad that will require more memory. I will use it for applications such as word proc, building a database of things for work, and other things I cannot envision at the moment. But I dont want to be sorry I didnt get a little more memory.

I also believe that the apps that evolve for the Ipad may take advantage of that memory, in fact may require more.

I do use my iphone occassionally at work for things, but have no wireless access there. If I did not have 3G, it would be a brick.

So, for this round of the Ipad, I am going for the gusto. We will see how it works out.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Patience is a virtue...but not my virtue.

Perfect, LDBoblo, just perfect!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It's not yet clear in Canada who will support the iPad yet, and at what price.

If the iPad had had the possibility of being a videophone, I would go for the 3G. I'm not that much of a "mobility" person since it takes no part in my work. So I'll go with Wifi...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
@Victoria - The one thing I did read is the 3G version has AGPS (GPS location based off of cellular towers) that the WiFi version doesn't have. Which makes sense since there's no cell modem to talk to the towers with. I didn't see any technical specs that said the WiFi version didn't include a plain old GPS receiver in it, so I'm a little unsure about that point.

Interesting reading so many people are into the 32G version. I figured that would be the least likely as people go for minimum or maximum memory.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
choose, decision, ipad, model