Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
pcrewlok
pcrewlok began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
EPUB or AZW to PDF, Problem with text search

Hi, I'm trying to convert both AZW and epub files with no DRM to PDF in Calibre and the output pdf text is in vector format and therefore cannot be searched or copied. I have tried to run OCR on it in Bluebeam but of course it's vector text so it will not work.

I know that Calibre is supposed to pretty much match the previous format if you only press the convert button. I have tried many other things in the convert categories but to not prevail. Please help.
pcrewlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't think there's much Calibre can do with vector text. Have you tried unzipping the epub to see whether there's real text in the original?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use a decent PDF reader with support for cmaps (a feature that was added to pdf in 2005) and you will be able to copy and search text in the pdf just fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
pcrewlok
pcrewlok began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2
Thanks Kovidgoyal! So I was able to get it to recognize the text in Adobe Acrobat Pro xl and Google Chrome and I realized that i could save the pdf again in Acrobat and then other programs like apple preview and bluebeam had searchable text which did not previously from the Calibre PDF, for your reference.

I have one last problem. When I copy the text in any of the programs it separates the text lines. A whole paragraph will be broken up into each line. How do I fix this?
pcrewlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way to fix that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert