Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #121
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
My Kindle cost me $35 including shipping, $29 without; and yes, it was brand new from Amazon. I take advantage of lots of ebook sales, discounts, and deals.

I've managed a bookstore in Canada, I know the cost of reading in the Great White North. Trust me, going Kindle saved me money.
For middle class people, $35 for an e-ink reader. However, there are still people who can't afford that. E-readers weren't really around when I was a kid but I didn't buy new books often as a child. My family was part of the working poor. I often got books from the thrift store. More often than not, I borrowed books from the library. Buying new books or e-readers obviously isn't an issue for me now (or my family for that matter). Still, I know that for a lot of people a $35 e-reader can still be a lot. Thank God paper books, used book stores, thrift stores and libraries exist for them!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #122
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
American Express worked for me. I have found that a lot of Visa/MC do not work for overseas online sales.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 AM   #123
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I'm going to be really specific on this one: the uncut version of Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. The as-originally-published version is available, but not the full text.

For that matter, I'd like to see the rest of his back catalog get digitized, and I'd like to see more of these e-publishers that specialize in backlist classics release them somewhere besides Amazon! I love Spider Robinson's "Callahan" books, but only two of them are available as non-Kindle ebooks. In fact, when I first saw those and their clip-art-tastic covers, I was actually concerned that they might be pirated ebooks...but no, that publisher just doesn't seem to see a need for decent covers or non-Amazon sales.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #124
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I too, would love to get the Rowan series (besides the last one: Tower & Hive) in ebook. Can't do the open a UK Amazon account because I already have one. When I go to the kindle version, I get a message that kindle books can only be purchased thru Amazon USA. Bummer.
Also, would love to get Enid Blyton's Famous Five and St. Clair's series on ebook.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #125
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I only have 2 and thanks to Darkscribe, I'm going to get them OCr'd this year so that I can read them. They are "The Mouse That Roared" by Leonard Wibberly, Cyrion by Tanith Lee. Everything else I would have wanted has been gradually coming into ebook form (such as Eric Frank Russell).

Oh, yes, I haven't been able to find the Harper Hall series (Anne McCaffrey) either in ebook. It's listed, but not for sale. My sister prefers to read. I already have them in audiobook at Audible. I thought it might be available as an omnibus, but no such luck yet.

BTW, for those who are buying the original Pern series, buy the individual books. The Omnibus off the first 3 books was edited for the YA market and I'm sure an ebook version would be no different.
I loved The Mouse That Roared and other Wibberley books as a child. I think defenestration was one of the first words I was compelled to look up in a dictionary.

I'd love to see his mouse books become ebooks as I am sure I missed two of them and would certainly like to read them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert