Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #226
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Whats next:

I am was working on getting the 3 version to not suck when emulating X.

a pointless task as the FB version is fine. but it got my head into the code
Spoiler:

When we have a version of x for the 3 that can manage native e-ink updates it will work better. The above screenshot suffers from lag as I am running it via an vnc yoke.

Let me have a look at getting this solid on the 5 then i will go back.

Sound is indeed on the list. having a think about that next

actually the dithering does work better on side scrolling adventures for some reason via the vnc. I should figure out why.

there is an issue where long pressed keys are unpressed.
this needs fixing for driving games etc. doable no doubt.

Touchscreen support has also been added to the FB version of the fbgnuboy build on the touch. to give us options going forward. But I will be focusing on the X version on the touch from now on for a while I think.

Last edited by twobob; 12-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #227
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Xgnuboy builds okay now:

which means we can start to use some of the flags from
http://gnuboy.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/CONFIG

Spoiler:
humph. well, Failed again to get my head around the dithering code. How one might port the current fb info based dithering into the X implementation is out of my brain price range today.

I could post the code that builds for the xgnuboy.
see if someone else wants to sort out the dithering.

Not much point posting the binary till it's gets sorted.
I may handle the dither in Xephyr though...

However at least the xgnuboy makefiles includes and alsa implementations are in place.

Last edited by twobob; 12-16-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #228
twobob

Some sound support:

on the plus side I added sound support the xgnuboy that seems to work great work most of the time on the Touch heh. shocking sound support on these kindles.

Yay me. perhaps a prod with aplay at startup will make it a bit more solid. or a double init. or more error handling ;P

Spoiler:
EDIT:
however not so for the 3.
since cvm seems to want to be active for playback on the 3 and that is currently nerfed this is a problem. plus just to be extra awkward for some reason the sound does nothing despite initialising fine.

I think sound will be a touch only feature. I will rip it out of the 3 build. I will also restore the original kindle input configuration for the 3 since the touch version will use the xinputs.

I am deciding if I should wrap it in a Xephyr as the -title or even direct injected Xnaming is not playing ball : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_058.png
Views:	450
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	97791   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_059.png
Views:	351
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	97792   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_060.png
Views:	359
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	97793   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_061.png
Views:	342
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	97794   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_062.png
Views:	305
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	97795   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_063.png
Views:	337
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	97796   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_064.png
Views:	330
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	97797   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_067.png
Views:	345
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	97798  

Last edited by twobob; 12-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #229
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
This is awesome! Where can I find the download link for the version with audio support, and how do I install it?

Could we put the code for the Kindle gnuboy port on Google Code or GitHub?
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #230
clach04
clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.clach04 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: n810
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post
This is awesome! Where can I find the download link for the version with audio support, and how do I install it?

Could we put the code for the Kindle gnuboy port on Google Code or GitHub?
Thank you to Andrew Pennebaker for dropping me a note about this thread.

I'm happy to accept (clean) patches to http://code.google.com/p/gnuboy/ . I've not read the complete thread so it looks like you may be using a slightly older gnuboy version so this may require some effort.

You may also want to check out one of the gnuboy (SDL based) front ends like OhBoy.

If you do fork this for the Kindle rather than moving changes upstream, drop me an email with the url so I can link to it in the ports section http://code.google.com/p/gnuboy/wiki/Ports
clach04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #231
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Will do so! It seems this is a little experiment that got greater attention than I envisioned. I still consider it quick 'n dirty, but I'll see what I can do to push it upstream.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #232
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Could someone wrap this in a Kindlet that appears on the home screen and displays a rom file browser?

Last edited by mcandre; 12-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #233
twobob

hmm. probably so.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:18 AM   #234
mcandre
Connoisseur

Woah. I finally understood the jailbreak -> root shell process and got Pokemon Yellow working.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8wafy7mro...222_020001.jpg

The keyboard keys work exactly as described. The only issue is the game runs with no sound. Anyone know where I can download an fbgnuboy binary that has sound working for Kindle?

I'm using Kindle 3.4, with 3G, USA edition.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #235
twobob

Short answer would be not really.

I can make the sound initialise on the 3 but have had no joy getting output.

(FWIW IIRC pokemon was tough on the eyes.)

The "Could someone wrap this in a Kindlet that appears on the home screen and displays a rom file browser?" is closer to fruition however. As the OLD code from the SoundKloud project (The unreleased kindlet version) can actually probably be re-purposed "AS IS" (with a few tweaks) to do that job. May do that. Or maybe in gtk.

Invoking the alsa lib (ie. sound) is not the issue. perhaps the onboard sound is in the way. Needs more investigation
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #236
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
"Could someone wrap this in a Kindlet that appears on the home screen and displays a rom file browser?" is closer to fruition however. As the OLD code from the SoundKloud project (The unreleased kindlet version) can actually probably be re-purposed "AS IS" (with a few tweaks) to do that job. May do that. Or maybe in gtk.

Had a play doing this via a kindlet... However pausing cvm via the kindlet and safely returning via a callback (or something) is hurting my head.

Will think about another solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_053.png
Views:	321
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	98499  

Last edited by twobob; 12-30-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #237
jmdlo
jmdlo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
this works on kindle paperwhite?
jmdlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #238
mcandre
Connoisseur

Yes, tested on my own.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #239
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
i managed to get it working on my K3 w/ lil effort (just a script run from mytsonce emu started up hit the exit key for the term
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #240
twobob

I keep meaning to make a games launcher for this, then get disheartened when I remember the xgnuboy version isn't dithered.

Glad you got it going. excellent app.