Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #211
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
I didn't edit it, copied straight from the original.

As said the space is present in the original post, post #145 by twobob on page 10, which is in code blocks BUT also within spoilers, which may have resulted in the space being added, as is the case when used with quote blocks.

But it's really no big deal. I was just pointing out in case another newbie such as me uses the script and wonders what is going on with the funky keys.
Actually, it is a big deal. I just did some testing, and there is a new bug in the MobileRead code block Web page code.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #212
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the "broken code block in a spoiler" part of twobob's post #145:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Spoiler:
Code:
KN="1234567890____qwertyuiop____asdfghjkl_____zxcv bnm_."
KS="1234567890____QWERTYUIOP____ASDFGHJKL_____ZXCV BNM_,"
KP="1234567890____~@#$%^&*()____<>[]{}?/\_____;:'|-+=_?"
And here is a portion of my original post that used a php block:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
PHP Code:
KN="1234567890____qwertyuiop____asdfghjkl_____zxcvbnm_."
KS="1234567890____QWERTYUIOP____ASDFGHJKL_____ZXCVBNM_,"
If you press the "quote" button on twobob's post, you will see that those strings actually DO contain spaces that should NOT be there.

Here is a corrected version of the portion of twobob's post shown above:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Code:
KN="1234567890____qwertyuiop____asdfghjkl_____zxcvbnm_."
KS="1234567890____QWERTYUIOP____ASDFGHJKL_____ZXCVBNM_,"
Conclusion: The problem is with twobob's corrupted copy of my code, not in the way MobileRead renders the code blocks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-09-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #213
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
yup. that was my take on that too. cheers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #214
geekmaster

Quote:
yup. that was my take on that too. cheers
So if you knew it was a problem, then why are the incorrect spaces still in your old post? I just checked. You can edit it, you know...

Leaving those incorrect spaces there has caused recent confusion, and also wasted some of my limited time investigating a possible MobileRead "code block in a spoiler" bug. It could cause problems in the future too, until it gets fixed...

You may want to see if your attached .tar.gz file needs repair while you are at it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-09-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #215
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
Oh boy, what have I started. Jezz, sorry guys, I was just trying to help.
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #216
geekmaster

Quote:
Oh boy, what have I started. Jezz, sorry guys, I was just trying to help.
No problem. Twobob and I are buddies. Just chewing his behind a little, which I think he needs at the moment. No harm in that, right?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #217
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I was several hundred miles away on someone else's computer..

and now I am back. So I will go fix it up. thanks for the reminder.

EDIT: Okay fixed up the two quotes of the original broken quote (mine) -
so three fixed in total YAY

lol

Last edited by twobob; 12-09-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #218
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

All's well that ends well.

Hey am I the first to have performed a hadouken on a Kindle?!

I've noticed some intermittent slow down during play. I thought perhaps this may be due to the roms in question (e.g. Choplifter II, Race Days) but it's happening with games previous posters has said run fine, such as Zelda. Have any of you experienced slowdown too?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #219
twobob

Not really - iirc - but I didn't "play it to death" that much.

Play much more solidly on the 5 - I did notice that.

Best bet would be to just have something monitoring resources as you play
(htop in another shell at worst?)

If I had to guess it would be something "in the background" muscling around, but it could be memory related perhaps. Testing would tell.

I think there were about 20 titles that I played that didn't suffer from eink artefacting and played quite nicely.

Last edited by twobob; 12-09-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #220
jackhulk
Connoisseur

It's strange because slowdown only happens sometimes with the same game. First time I played Race Days, there was slow down. Played again last night and it seemed fine. I'll checkout htop as suggested.

Do you think this app will ever be on par with the Nook efforts? I read GeekMaster mention it should be possible, although more difficult.

Can you list those 20 titles please twobob? I'm trying to come up with a list of my own but it's taking longer than expected, as whenever I come across a game that works well, testing then becomes a little extended shall we say. Maybe I should have avoided this app, as I'll be gaming more than reading (again!).

Here's what I have so far.

By golly, it works!
Spoiler:

Asteroids
Baseball
Battleship
Bomberman
Chase HQ
Choplifter II
F1 Pole Position
Harvest Moon
Kwirk
Legend of Zelda TLA
Mario Golf
Race Days
Street Fighter II
Tetris

As we all know, games the scroll sideways is a no no for the e-ink, so you can practically rule all of them out. Surprisingly though, racing games work quite well. I first thought that they wouldn't because of the fast moving environment, but because the road is white, there is nothing for the e-ink to update, and of course your vehicle only moves left and right from time to time over a small amount of the screen.

Any racing games where you see the vehicle from behind should play well (if road is white), and that should be the same for any top down racers, although Micro Machines is a mess, very blurry due to the business of the graphics.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #221
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Another problem to keep in mind,
the e-ink screens are vertical and other computer displays are horizontal in their largest dimension:
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #222
jackhulk
Connoisseur

This is brilliant!

'It's not crack or nothin', but it's still really bad'.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #223
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
This is brilliant!

'It's not crack or nothin', but it's still really bad'.
Well, there is usually a work-around for anything.

Click around a bit in the above and you will find the Photoshop Tutorial that includes how to work-around when Gorilla eats the cursor.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #224
twobob

xgnuboy.

Got this built now.

Will look at sound next.

Thinking how to implement best on the 5.

running on 3. in 16 colours. dithered.
keys work and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_051.png
Views:	286
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	97742  
Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #225
jackhulk
Connoisseur

For Kindle 3? What's the screenshot of, ie what's it running on as it's in colour?

Does the 'dithered' mean improved motion, like that of the Nook?

Sound would be awesome! When can I get my hands on compiled version please?