bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Please check this pdf file - it's too slow

Hello,
this is a Korean pdf file with no font.
It's so slow to open.
I made much effort to make it fast but it is still slow.
You can see it with this file.
Somebody knows the reason for it or can make it as fast as other pdf files?
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (4.14 MB, 472 views)
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Maybe saving it to PDF1.4 (Acrobat 5) format helps. It is an older format, which has less compression posibilities. So the file might become larger, but less/easier decompression is needed.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Try this. I ran OCR on it. I was a graphic file.

td
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (3.24 MB, 429 views)
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Maybe saving it to PDF1.4 (Acrobat 5) format helps. It is an older format, which has less compression posibilities. So the file might become larger, but less/easier decompression is needed.
I already tried it and other options(most of all options I can change) but it made no difference.. You can see it with this file on the device..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
Try this. I ran OCR on it. I was a graphic file.

td
Thanks for your effort for it. But it seems to have become slower.. How did it work on your device?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
As an alternative try its .cbz version. I'm quite sure you know the plugin (and have it installed). Get the file and rename it to *.cbz

ImageMagick does the trick on my Ubuntu:
ubuntu> convert -density 300 test.pdf -quality 10 test.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: zip testpdf.zip (6.28 MB, 245 views)
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
As an alternative try its .cbz version. I'm quite sure you know the plugin (and have it installed). Get the file and rename it to *.cbz

ImageMagick does the trick on my Ubuntu:
ubuntu> convert -density 300 test.pdf -quality 10 test.jpg

Thanks for your advice. I've already tried this method too but it removed margin information or made little difference for loading time with enlarged file size..
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Another alternative I use when a PDF is too slow is converting the file to .djvu. There is a DR1000S plugin that works very well. Use this link to convert the pdf
http://djvu.org/any2djvu/

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
Another alternative I use when a PDF is too slow is converting the file to .djvu. There is a DR1000S plugin that works very well. Use this link to convert the pdf
http://djvu.org/any2djvu/

td

td, thanks for your advice and the link.
I've tried this solution after downloading the djvu plugin v0.3 for DR1000S in this forum.
But the djvu converted file wasn't opened on DR1000S - freezed 'Please wait...' loading message box. And the marginal data was lost too while converting from pdf to djvu, when opened on PC. I attach the djvu file and you can see what I said, on your device..

Originally, this pdf file was slower than it is. I've changed its compression as much as possible to make it faster and the result is this file but it is still slow;; Maybe is it the limitation for loading speed of this pdf file..?
Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (1.12 MB, 255 views)
Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

The working djvu plugin is available here, in FB2 plugin thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100445

Remove the other one and try this.

P.S. the test.djvu has been opened just fine on my DR800, it took about 0.5 sec to load.

Erm, there're some issue when you have both CBZ and DJVU plugins installed ... I think the proper way is to remove both, then install CBZ and then DJVU. Somebody has reported it worked this way, I'm checking it now.

Last edited by dima_tr; 03-05-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
in the end I was not able to have both working at the same time, so I have both on the DR, but only the djvu plugin "active" ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
dima_tr
Groupie

Well, probably it's time for me to take a close look at the CBZ plugin development.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
I can confirm that the djvu is a lot faster than the pdf on the DR1000.

Thanks for the tip, td.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
The working djvu plugin is available here, in FB2 plugin thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100445

Remove the other one and try this.

P.S. the test.djvu has been opened just fine on my DR800, it took about 0.5 sec to load.

Erm, there're some issue when you have both CBZ and DJVU plugins installed ... I think the proper way is to remove both, then install CBZ and then DJVU. Somebody has reported it worked this way, I'm checking it now.

I tried the plugin at the link but the same freezed loading message box problem occurred.. Should I deactivate CBZ plugin to solve this problem?
And couldn't we draw with stylus pen(a great forte of DR1000S) on djvu documents, could we? The original margin(top, bottom, left and right) data of pdf file was removed too while it is converted to a djvu file.
Anyway, thank you, dima..
Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #14
dima_tr
Groupie

At the very moment you have to uninstall CBZ to have DJVU working. I'll devote some time to clean this up, at least from cbz part.

And yes, you can make notes on any page of djvu document same way as you do it on pdf/txt/cbz etc. (any document opened through a uds plugin).
Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #15
bokjeid
Addict

Quote:
At the very moment you have to uninstall CBZ to have DJVU working. I'll devote some time to clean this up, at least from cbz part.

And yes, you can make notes on any page of djvu document same way as you do it on pdf/txt/cbz etc. (any document opened through a uds plugin).

Wow~~~ it's so amazing! After I deactivated cbz plugin, it worked very well. Thank you, dima! This solution seems very revolutionary because most of my pdf files are so slow now.

By the way, we can't merge scribbles with djvu or cbz files, can we?

Now the last one problem is the margin data of the original pdf file. The djvu file converted at 'Any2Djvu' site lost all of the original margin data. So I searched for another way to convert pdf to djvu and found out the below site - Pdf To Djvu GUI v. 2.1.

http://www.trustfm.net/GeneralTools/...fToDjvuGUI.php

But when converted, this djvu file is so slow while the margin data was reserved. I attach the djvu file converted by Pdf To Djvu GUI v. 2.1

How could we convert pdf to djvu with the original margin data and without loading time?
Attached Files
File Type: zip test (2).zip (5.03 MB, 220 views)