Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #31
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
bind a key to turn off the touch screen instead
Which is completely pointless - just close the cover and it will put itself to sleep without further intervention.

You don't need to install PRS+ to minimise the use of the power switch!
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Which is completely pointless - just close the cover and it will put itself to sleep without further intervention.

You don't need to install PRS+ to minimise the use of the power switch!
Wow. How are you not getting it?

To reduce use of the power-button to a minimum, do the following (assuming you have prs+):

Stop using sleep-mode totally. Instead, bind a key to turn the touch screen off. This way you need only use the power button once a day (i.e. to turn it on in the morning).

It's a personal choice, but I've lost one 650 to the flaky power-button, and I don't want to lose another one. Battery power saving in sleep-mode seems pretty marginal, and anyway, it's better to charge the battery more often than to have a broken device. Each to their own and goodbye!
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #33
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Amalthia, my name is Scott Fuentes and I work for SonySupportUSA. There are no menu settings that will change the actual way the switch works. If the Reader is on, simply sliding the switch to the right and immediately releasing will put it in Sleep mode. If the button is held to the right for more than 3 seconds, the prompt will appear asking if you really want to power it off.

For further assistance you can find contact information for customer support @ http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/93

Thanks, Scott Fuentes
SonySupportUSA
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #34
raspberry
raspberry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Hello rizla or anybody who experienced the same problem:

As my prs 650 now shows the well-known symptoms (without me touching any button, suddenly asking "Do you really want to switch off completely?"; going into standby out of a sudden; not going into sleep mode, but asking whether to switch off completely after only short push of the power switch, ultrafast battery drainage; etc):

Has anybody found a solution to this problem , except than avoiding the use of the power switch completely, or by exchanging the reader for a refurbished one?

I am really disappointed: the reader was not cheap, and looked quite sturdy. Now it merely lasted 18 months only, the device's life time as projected by Sony, it seems .

I do not think it is wise to look for a used one: the problem seems to be quite common, and I fear a used reader will show the same defect sooner or later, won't it?
At least from the outside, the power switch of the prs-t1 looks similar; so there might be the same design flaw with it. Any experience?
raspberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #35
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry View Post
At least from the outside, the power switch of the prs-t1 looks similar; so there might be the same design flaw with it. Any experience?
No, I think the switches are totally different.

What I did was buy used Sony devices from ebay. I bought a 650 and a T1. The 650 is just fine, but I use the method I describe above to avoid using the power-switch.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I know how it feels. But honestly, it's a piece of plastic and silicon. I was dissapointed because paid so much over the going price for quality. I won't make that mistake again. Buy used. Buy cheap. Buy smart. These devices are disposable. Check you pm's.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #36
Frabjous2001
Frabjous2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Book Reader PRS-650
Sony ereader PRS-650 constantly turns itself on and depletes batteries

I've read several postings on this site about the Sony ereader PRS-650 turning itself on and here is my sad tale of woe:

I have had a PRS-650 for approximately 20 months. After using it pretty regularly over the past year and a half, I left it unused for about two months. When I picked it up again, the battery was dead and the reader would work only when plugged in to the computer. I had had one problem before - a big freeze. But a simple reset by the little reset button (marked "Reset"), fixed that. So I got a battery from www.newpower99.com/Sony and followed the instructions to open it up, replace the battery and close back up again that can be found on youtube. At this point the battery recharged completely but the reader started turning itself on all the time, depleating the battery overnight in the process. So I came here. Here I learned that:
a) It is best to completely turn off the machine when I am no longer using it [Settings -> Device Shutdown] because there are/may be memory resident apps that burn battery time. I do this but it still turns itself on, and still depletes the battery overnight.
b) Some people complained having had problems since the last firmware upgrade. Since seeing Sony's support website, I almost believe this except that when I reset everything to factory defaults [Settings-> Initialization -> Restore defaults], and I would think this involved resetting it to the original firmware installed on my machine, it did nothing to ameliorate the problem.
c) Others suggested that I completely reformat the memory (which would remove everythign I had on the machine) [Settings-> Initialization -> Format Memory] . I did this and it still restarts at will.
d) Some suggested that the reader was having a problem with one of the books that I had downloaded. I have bought some and downloaded some free ones from Google and Gutenberg. Reformatting the memory (step c listed above) removed all my old books. Yet the problem persists.

Today after once again doing a complete device shutdown, I started pressing all the keys at the bottom of the unit. I discovered that pressing almost all keys starts it. The volume plus key starts it. The volumn minus key, the page back key, the page forward key, the home key - Everything.

Can other people confirm this. And does anyone know what to do about this?
Frabjous2001 is offline   Reply With Quote