Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #91
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
From what Others are saying you won't be able to access the entire Android APP Market. This will be more like the Fire where Kobo is controlling the ecosystem. So unless you want to root it and load a custom ROM on it you are going to be limited by what Kobo will allow you to do. My guess is you are not going to be able to install the Kindle App in the stock form.

Read some of the comments here to see what they are saying about the App Store.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/k...ch-display-gi/
The article says "naturally you'll have access to Android Market as well." Where do people get the impression that the market is limited like the Fire which from what I read is really locked down?

(And even if it is GetJar and not Google Market the kindle app is still there.)

Last edited by p_a_smith; 10-19-2011 at 07:01 PM.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #92
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Looks like the market is GetJar, not Google's. So free apps only. However, there are other markets around as well.
The following book apps are available at GetJar:

Adobe Reader, Aldiko, Cool Reader, FBReader, Google Books, Kindle, Kobo, Moon+ Reader, Nook, OverDrive Media Console, Sony Reader.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #93
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Wonder why people are complaining about the 7h battery life - it's the same as the Fire and the Nook Color and better than most sub-$200 7" tablets with lesser specs...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #94
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
Well this is some very welcome news. I actually had my passport picture taken today so that I could go down to the states and pick up a Nook Color. (and also to travel but the NC was the motivating factor.)

Guess I'll be waiting to see how the Vox is but unless it's got some fatal flaw I can't imagine that I won't be getting one.

The whole reason I wanted the NC was to sd-root it so I could run the kobo app anyway. I use it on my phone already and I'm very happy with it. My phone runs Android 2.3 and it seems to offer everything I'll want in an ereader OS.

Now my only question is... can you turn off the little green light at the top?
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #95
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Will they block the Kindle app?

If it will have access to the full Android Market that would be awesome, especially with the new Video rent/purchase feature (doesn't work for me because I don't have flash )

I checked for and update for how many Apps Android has, officially they have 250,000 but Non-official announcement they have around 540,000 Apps. So either it was a typo or the full Market is not open to the Kobo Vox because at least 57% of their Apps are free so that makes around 148,500 officially free apps. But considering the price and most likely flash? (800mhz processor so probably). I think it's a great device.

Here's a Wikipedia page for Android.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #96
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
FROM CBC.CA interview with Micheal Serbinis (highlight is mine) -- answers a couple of questions from the horses mouth so to speak:

Some users will be disappointed that the Vox runs on an older version of the Android platform, known as 2.3 or Gingerbread, and that Kobo isn't allowing full access to the Android's marketplace of apps. Kobo will have a selection of 15,000 free apps to download —including an app to read Amazon Kindle ebooks — and Serbinis insists some of the world's most popular apps, including Angry Birds, will be available for free.

Some apps that cost money to download off the Android Market will be free to Kobo users, he added.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #97
Paulc15
Paulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura aboutPaulc15 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle DX , iPad 1, Kobo Vox
Is the screen flush with the bezel?

Hi all

Has anyone seen/does anybody know if the touchscreen is flush with the surrond on the Kobo Vox?

I've noticed in pictures that the Kindle Fire is flush, but can't determine with the Vox - I'd appreciate your comments.

Regards

Paul

Kobo Touch (replaced Kobo Wifi), Kindle DX (replaced Kindle Keyboard), iPad 1
Paulc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #98
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Gingerbread isn't all that old really, I wonder if it will get an update for Ice Cream Sandwich.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #99
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Well, I just watched the promo video for the Vox, and I must say - it looks pretty snazzy! I love how it's being marketed as a 'social e-reader'. That 'pulse' thing is a big draw for me!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #100
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Some users will be disappointed that the Vox runs on an older version of the Android platform, known as 2.3 or Gingerbread, and that Kobo isn't allowing full access to the Android's marketplace of apps.
The full article is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...bo-tablet.html

I'm pretty sure that it isn't that Kobo isn't allowing access to Android market, but rather that the device does not meet the requirements for Market access. Google has not been allowing access to devices without cameras. I wonder if the CBC got it wrong, or if Serbinis said it this way.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #101
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Question

I'm getting quite confused by the ever greater number of LCD e-readers - the iPad, the Nook, the Kindle Fire and now the Vox. What about the eyestrain issue? I though the whole point of e-ink was that it is difficult to read for long periods on a backlit screen without eyestrain?? I notice the Vox press release mentions a screen technology called 'AFFS+' but I have no idea what difference, if any, this will make
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #102
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
I'm not entirely sold on $199

I know that that the Kindle isn't available up here in Canada, and this is Kobo's primary Market, being they're canadian,

But the Kindle specs far outweigh those of the Vox, and priced identically. I'm not entirely sure that $199 is the right price.

unless the tech spec's that have been reported by tech sites are wrong, it's only a single core, 800mhz cpu with 512mb ram. While the Kindle is sporting a dual core CPU, a bit more ram, custom UI and a much larger "marketplace" with videos, music, and books.

I think this HAS to be $20-30 cheaper. if you put both on the same storefront shelf for $199, the Kindle is a far greater deal. the "soft" backing, and bare bones Android aren't enough to justify the same cost for significantly lower hardware.
Based on Amazons BOM estimates for the Fire (which look like they will be sold at a loss - at least initially), I just can't see Kobo being able to compete on that front - spec for spec. Due to the ecosystem Amazon have a lot of ways to extract money from Fire owners, unlike Kobo who currently only sell digital text (ebooks/mags etc..). I actually think the $199 is very reasonable, even with its slower processor.

I'll personally reserve judgement until I see some reviews, but all up it looks like a neat device for what it is. I think the 7" size will appeal to many, and while there are other similar devices from Lenovo, Acer etc.. I think Kobo have a unique market and story to bring. I also don't see Gingerbread being a big issue. I still feel like the general audience/consumer won’t care as long it has enough of the apps they want, which it will. The real challenge to these devices will be if Apple decides upon releasing a ~7" ipad (or upsized touch) variant - which has seen some more rumour rumbling of late.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #103
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The full article is here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...bo-tablet.html

I'm pretty sure that it isn't that Kobo isn't allowing access to Android market, but rather that the device does not meet the requirements for Market access. Google has not been allowing access to devices without cameras. I wonder if the CBC got it wrong, or if Serbinis said it this way.

I can't find any reason that the Vox wouldn't have access to the Market. Cameras are not a requirement for Android 2.3.3. (3.0 and up may be different).

According to the Compatibility Definition Document (what software and hardware are required) it only says "Device implementations SHOULD include a rear-facing camera, and MAY include a front-facing camera...."
http://static.googleusercontent.com/...-2.3.3-cdd.pdf (the suff that is required is a MUST not a SHOULD)

Now that doesn't mean that Vox will have it installed out of the box since with Market you need a google account. Yes, I know it is free but not everyone has one and the latest revision of the Market makes it a bit harder to find the free apps- they don't appear on the front page anymore while the pay ones are very prominent. They may have Getjar installed to highlight the free apps.

Last edited by p_a_smith; 10-20-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: corrected speeling mistakes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #104
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronpaterson View Post
I'm getting quite confused by the ever greater number of LCD e-readers - the iPad, the Nook, the Kindle Fire and now the Vox. What about the eyestrain issue? I though the whole point of e-ink was that it is difficult to read for long periods on a backlit screen without eyestrain?? I notice the Vox press release mentions a screen technology called 'AFFS+' but I have no idea what difference, if any, this will make
I have both an eInk eReader (Kindle 3) and an LCD eReader (Nook Color). I read novels on my Kindle and use my Color as a tablet (internet, videos, music, magazines, news, etc). Reading for long periods of time on an LCD screen bothers my eyes; so I don't. Besides, there's no way I'm going to read a novel on a heavy, back lit device with short battery life when devices with the opposite specs are readily available.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #105
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Based on Amazons BOM estimates for the Fire (which look like they will be sold at a loss - at least initially), I just can't see Kobo being able to compete on that front.
In the USA I think you're analysis is correct. But since the Fire is only sold there it is really a non-issue for the rest of the world which gives Kobo a head start on this market demographic.