Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
(Probably a) Really stupid question about Nook/NookColor

I have a Nook and a rooted Nook Color.

I loaded Aldiko to the rooted Nook Color and used this method (http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...-opds-dropbox/) to load my eBooks to a private Dropbox address with a browse-able catalog that Aldiko can utilize.

I LOVE this functionality on my NookColor - means I don't have to sideload my NookColor to the computer to load books from my library.

I've heard about rooting the Nook classic, but I can't find much information on loading apps to a rooted Nook Classic. I ASSUME it doesn't just come with Android Market installed (unlike the NookColor autonooter package I used).

Has anyone rooted their Nook Classic and loaded Aldiko to it? Is that even possible? Thanks for the help - I'm aware that this may be a startlingly ignorant question.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You can't load any reading apps on a rooted NOOK classic. I don't have any experience with one so I can't provide details on what rooting specifically does for that device. I do know that better library management is possible.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
Well, you can load most apps on a nook classic - but probably can't use most of them due to the lack of buttons/touch screen on most of the interface. Also the standard android market isn't there just the nookdevs market with apps created just for the nook classic.

Having both a classic and a color now and both rooted I'm not sure the benefits of rooting the classic outweigh the downsides (registration mysterious gets lost and battery life seems worse than my wifes non-rooted classic.) Due to the limitations of the classic's form factor there's just not that much you can do with it beyond what it's designed for. Which isn't meant to sound negative because the classic is an outstanding reader IMHO and exceeded my expectations. But it's not really going to become a full featured device after rooting like the color.

That being said trook and the improved library are VERY nice and may well offset the negatives of rooting for most users. If you remember to make sure adb is really shutdown then the battery life issues seem to go away, and if you don't disable automatic updates the random lost registrations seem to go away (though I still loose registration after a full reboot.)

I'm not familiar with Aldiko but I suspect Trook may give you much of the same functionality you're looking for. Not sure if it will work with dropbox like you described but it does read OPDS/Calibre/Stanza libraries so you may be able to find a happy solution with that.
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SCION and jhitesma,

Thank you so much for your answers.

It makes sense that the Nook Classic (which - I agree - is a wonderful ereader!) wouldn't be able to load/use the same apps as the Color.

However, I'm terribly intrigued by this "Trook". I haven't used it before but it sounds like it does the same thing I'm using Aldiko for.

Can anyone point me to some coherent Nook Classic rooting + Trook loading instructions, maybe? I've been through the Nook Devs site and was... a little overwhelmed. I'm tech-y enough to root my Nook Color and follow instructions, but the Nook Dev instructions for the Nook Classic root process seemed fragmented and spread out over several pages.

Any links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

EDIT: And a VIDEO of the process would be even better.

Last edited by anamardoll; 03-09-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
Rooting the classic is a bit tricky. And yes the information is fairly fractured and especially hard to follow for the newer nooks. The thread in there about rooting SN 10101 nook's is probably the most comprehensive all in one source:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121655

And even that is somewhat hard to follow.

Basically though the procedure is to find a way to configure your network so the DNS for the update server resolves to a site hosting the hack instead of B&N's real servers. Then you just let the nook update and it will hack itself. (Of course it's a bit tricky even then since getting ADB up and going isn't always smooth.) If you use one of the installer packages with the root then it will auto-install the nook market which will let you install trook really easily.

But - rooting the classic really isn't for the faint of heart right now. Even once it's hacked there are some things that needs to be tweaked through ADB to keep the battery life from being affected and keep it from doing B&N updates while not loosing it's registration.

Best advice I can give is to spend a week or so reading all the info you can about rooting and the various issues involved before jumping in.
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

jhitesma,

Thank you so much for your quick and frank reply. I think you've convinced me to hold off for the moment.

The biggest reason I wanted to setup my Nook Classic with the Aldiko/Stanza/Trook-style catalog was that (a) it would be nice to be able to access my books via 3G and not be limited to the Nook Color Wi-Fi, and (b) the Nook Classic's longer battery life makes it the "go to" reader in the house for planning long trips.

Since I've since read that Trook only works over Wi-Fi (unless you do clever things to your SIM card) and you've informed me that mindfulness to detail (not a strong point for me) is required to prevent battery drain on a rooted Nook Classic, then that really changes the layout of the land a bit.

After all, it's not the end of the world to have to remember to sideload my Nook prior to a trip; I'm just the leading expert on spending hours (rooting) to save minutes (sideloading).

Thank you so much for all your help - you've really clarified a lot about Nook Classic rooting, and I feel a lot more informed now. Thank you!

Tags
aldiko, nook, root