Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Fanfic Archive Adds Download Options

The Archive of Our Own (a fan-owned and run fanfic archive) had added downloadable options -- you can download any story as .html, .mobi, .pdf or .epub format.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Nice.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Cool...thanks for mentioning this site...hadn't visited it in quite a while.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Finally, I can fill my need for Gandolf the Grey/Hermione Granger slash fiction!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Finally, I can fill my need for Gandolf the Grey/Hermione Granger slash fiction!
Technically I don't think Gandalf/Hermione would be slash

But you can find fanfic about NPR game shows during the zombie apocalypse!

Wait Wait, Don't Eat Me
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Good grief! Cant say I've ever really looked at fanfic before so this is a bit of an eye opener. Some 'normal' fiction but the rest of it's like a train wreck - you don't want to look but can't help yourself.
I guess it's an insight into what people really want to read?
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
It is if Hermione's taken a Polyjuice potion to have Aragorn's body!

::runs off to suggest to friends::

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakulos View Post
Good grief! Cant say I've ever really looked at fanfic before so this is a bit of an eye opener. Some 'normal' fiction but the rest of it's like a train wreck - you don't want to look but can't help yourself.
I guess it's an insight into what people really want to read?
If you're looking for a good (i.e. not brainbleach-inspiring) place to start, last year's Yuletide Collection is a reasonable list. Yuletide is a fanfic gift exchange focused on "small fandoms," meaning those that don't already have huge collections of fanfic. This includes literary fandoms like the Vorkosigan Saga, and has extended into "fandoms that don't actually exist until someone writes for them at Yuletide"--like the song "What's Your Mama's Name, Child?"

If you don't want to need mental floss, skip anything marked "E", and especially anything tagged "crack." And anything with the letters "RPF" -- that stands for "Real People Fic." (And although the Wait Wait Don't Eat Me story is *excellent*--and got reported on the NPR website--I don't recommend that people new to fanfic just wander around looking at RPF stories; that way lies madness, possibly involving Stephen Colbert and tentacles.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I was thinking that slash was for any sexual crossings-- didn't realize it was m/m or f/f only. I only wrote Gandolf because-- not being a Tolkien fan-- I couldn't remember the name of the character played by Liv Tyler in the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakulos View Post
And this is the truth faced by people who have to plow through slush piles. Most people who think that they can write-- can't. Most self-published writing is very, very, very, very bad.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I was thinking that slash was for any sexual crossings-- didn't realize it was m/m or f/f only. I only wrote Gandolf because-- not being a Tolkien fan-- I couldn't remember the name of the character played by Liv Tyler in the movies.
Arwen. Yeah, there's a great shortage of Hermione/Arwen. (The m/f stuff is called "het." Fanfic not focused around the romantic elements is called "gen.")

Quote:
And this is the truth faced by people who have to plow through slush piles. Most people who think that they can write-- can't. Most self-published writing is very, very, very, very bad.
Archiveofourown tends to be high-quality as fanfic goes, because it's fairly new, and founded by people who are long-time fanficcers. It hasn't had time to collect the schlock that clutters up fanfiction.net. (There's some good stuff at ff.net... but there's also a whole lot of teenage first writing, twitch shudder.) AO3 (Archive Of Our Own) has limited membership for now, and the writing quality tends to be high.

The writing *subject matter* ranges from "missing episodes" of tv series to bizarre erotica.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
bridgetostars
bridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with others

Device: Nook
Aaah, that is awesome! Sometimes I feel the need to revisit my mis-spent youth and peruse fanfic again. Now it's even easier!

I'm kinda sad that this didn't exist when I was around 12-15... it's a shame how many more hours I could have wasted reading wonderfully terrible, perverted dreck that I missed out on. And portably, and without people being able to tell what I was reading! My formative years could have been more more interesting. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to savor it now! What? I have no shame!

Last edited by bridgetostars; 09-16-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: misspell!
bridgetostars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
For anyone reading fan fiction on portable devices this new feature at the Archive of Our Own is rather awesome.

To find good fan fiction it doesn't hurt to find rec lists.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

Help!!

I can't stop laughing.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think the two worst fanfics I ever saw were:

1) A Harry Potter fic that was Weasley twin slash. As in, slash---with each other. With your identical twin. Ewwww.

2) A Joan of Arcadia fic that was Joan/G-d slash. So, the Almighty One not only chooses to manifest on the earthly plane for the purposes of sex, but a) chooses underage girls as their partner and b) chooses underage girls who are their employee. God as the lesbian sexual harassing pedophile. Great fanfic idea! Not.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #14
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetostars View Post
Aaah, that is awesome! Sometimes I feel the need to revisit my mis-spent use and peruse fanfic again. Now it's even easier!

+1 bridgetostars' entire post. I spent a lot of time when I was younger reading fanfic, and some of it was actually good. I'm glad I can revisit old fandoms, like welcoming back old friends.

The actual ePUBs are decently formatted too.

Second the idea to avoid 'crack'. Well, some crack is rather addictive to read (hence the term), and they don't make any pretensions to be high-brow writing a lot of times.

The worst fanfic I've ever read was Frodo/Nazgul slash. It became rather notorious when I was still involved in a little corner of the Middle-earth fandom. (That said, some of the best fanfic I've read was also in the same fandom.)
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
2) A Joan of Arcadia fic that was Joan/G-d slash. So, the Almighty One not only chooses to manifest on the earthly plane for the purposes of sex, but a) chooses underage girls as their partner
I can top that-- I read this book where God gets some teenage girl pregnant! And she was already betrothed to someone else!

Tags
fanfiction