Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Video on the Max2

I posted on YouTube a video that demonstrates the capabilities of the Max2 (but similar was quality and not bad the performance of the MaxCarta) while playing video.

Information was scattered in more parts of the Forum, but we never had a specific topical thread. It is best to have one also to enhance the current only partial awareness.

The online description:
Quote:
Demonstration of the Onyx Boox Max2 playing video (using A2 mode and dithering).

00:07 - classroom lesson from Prof. Patrick Winston at the MIT;
00:52 - distance learning course from Prof. Andrew Ng (then Stanford);
01:51 - TED conference from Blaise Agüera y Arcas (Google);
02:52 - interview with Ray Kurzweil.

The recording was performed indoors in non optimal conditions.
https://youtu.be/D3ooHNrkKu8

mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
That's impressive for eInk. I imagine the brain auto-adjusts and the choppiness eventually becomes unnoticeable.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
It seems there is less ghosting than in the N96ML+. Maybe the fast processor it's the responsible of that fine work. It's a pitty that it doesn't have frontlight (I assume it doesn't have it because there will be a dark zone in the center or somewhere).

How goes the android 6?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:06 AM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReader fan View Post
It's a pitty that it doesn't have frontlight (I assume it doesn't have it because there will be a dark zone in the center or somewhere).
Right, there is of course the difficulty of making an even effect on a big device.
Then, there may be something related to the plastic-based structure instead of glass-based, but I don't know.

Quote:
How goes the android 6?
I had the sensation of the better CPU doing somehow a better job than the respectable old SoloLite, but I have not made a purposely set test (not that useful to try them side by side, agreed)?

Though I do not understand what you mean literally mentioning the «android 6».
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Quote:
I had the sensation of the better CPU doing...
At least now you can use the NoMachine client.with a big Onyx eReader. And how is the web surfing? With the Onyx firmwares with android 4.x provided with diferent eReaders it was a torture. I hope they are achieving a more stable OS.

Quote:
Though I do not understand what you mean literally mentioning the «android 6»
Doesn't It have android marshmallow?
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
At least now you can use the NoMachine client.with a big Onyx eReader. And how is the web surfing? With the Onyx firmwares with android 4.x provided with diferent eReaders it was a torture. I hope they are achieving a more stable OS.
Doesn't It have android marshmallow?
Remote desktop technologies work well, but there is no tethering option in the original firmware, so you would be forced to a wi-fi connection - or an ethernet adapter.
Web surfing is very good, very fast.
It does have Marshmallow, and it works well - but I thought you mentioned it with reference to video.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:39 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I posted on YouTube a video that demonstrates the capabilities of the Max2 (but similar was quality and not bad the performance of the MaxCarta) while playing video.
Hi Mdp,

About the audio ? Have you check the audio quality with the audio jack output ? Have you some distortion ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
About the audio ? Have you check the audio quality with the audio jack output ? Have you some distortion ?
I found it perfectly satisfactory, though I have not tried with an uncompressed copy of Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden...
Old 02-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #9
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

But, I have not post the good question : what's about the audio output if you have video and audio together ?

Thanks for the music reference
Old 02-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
what's about the audio output if you have video and audio together ?
I do not remember having ever noticed any problem, of sync or other...
I will pay specific attention

Quote:
Thanks for the music reference
Well (I know this is a forum bomb but) not only that is known as the best album of the eighties, it is also the parameter record to verify the quality of audio reproduction... At least in the practice of Tim Friese-Greene, who acted sound engineer and approved his own result...
Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard

Mdp, I have an other question for you.

Do you have put the files in the Max2 or have you used the HDMI port ?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:56 AM   #12
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
And how is the web surfing? With the Onyx firmwares with android 4.x provided with diferent eReaders it was a torture. I hope they are achieving a more stable OS.
Web browsing works nice and actually now I read my favorite blogs and daily news on Max2. Unfortunately you have to use the built in browser which always transforms the fonts to B&W. With other browsers you got washed out experience. I'm tempted to fork Chromium to apply the same auto web style adjustments for e-ink.

Oh, by the way, let me add more info. I have just went to the thread out of boredom and curiosity what the Max enthusiasts are up to. I like the device but I'm rather critical user. IMHO, watching video, remote desktop or even the new HDMI monitor feature are still early beta for very desperate. I was thrilled to try the HDMI when I got mine boox but I can tell you that the experience is rather disappointing. Refresh rate is too slow to follow normal mouse movements or rapid app changes like traversing the menu. It is possible to compensate for that, i.e. learn to be a little slow... There is screen ghosting. Very quickly the white becomes gray on the screen reducing the contrast significantly. In my opinion it is impossible to work with standard Macbook resolution. I had to lower it to 1024x768 to compensate for the lost contrast which leave very small real working area, rather not suitable for reading documentation side by side my development work which I was hoping for.

On the positive side, if you are getting disappointed by my remark above, this is a really good versatile ereader. You can install almost any app. Writing with the pen is a pleasant experience. It slide very smooth on the surface and the reaction is instantaneous. The difference in feeling of the pen between Max and Max2 is like switching from normal pen to a ball-pen (different tip material). I handed my Max2 to a guy why had reMarkable and he was very jealous as he said writing on the reMarkable is slow and unnatural so he was very disappointed by their advertisement. I did not had a chance to try reMarkable myself unfortunately as he did not have it in his bag.

Last edited by plusz; 02-23-2018 at 04:24 AM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #13
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Do you have put the files in the Max2 or have you used the HDMI port ?
Fully native: I used VLC (for Android), as you see in the video.
The files (mp4) are on the tablet. The tablet is not connected to anything.

BTW: I watched a video after your post, and the audio and video happened to become out of sync. It may happen. I should check more (I do not use much EPD in winter).
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #14
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Web browsing works nice and actually now I read my favorite blogs and daily news on Max2. Unfortunately you have to use the built in browser which always transforms the fonts to B&W. With other browsers you got washed out experience.
No, not really. You missed the Web browsers thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291010
Where for example, I noted that
Quote:
So, on Lighting, you have a miraculous option on
Settings > Advanced > Rendering Mode: ( Normal | Inverted | ... | Increase Contrast )

On Firefox, you can use an add-on named Blacken.
You should come for hints, not just out of boredom ; )

Quote:
IMHO, watching video, remote desktop or even the new HDMI monitor feature are still early beta for very desperate. I was thrilled to try the HDMI when I got mine boox but I can tell you that the experience is rather disappointing. Refresh rate is too slow to follow normal mouse movements or rapid app changes like traversing the menu. It is possible to compensate for that, i.e. learn to be a little slow... There is screen ghosting. Very quickly the white becomes gray on the screen reducing the contrast significantly. In my opinion it is impossible to work with standard Macbook resolution. I had to lower it to 1024x768 to compensate for the lost contrast which leave very small real working area, rather not suitable for reading documentation side by side my development work which I was hoping for.
Well, all of that was expected, right? Partly because we are pushing a technology beyond the normal boundaries of its "comfort zone", partly because all of that was experienced or confirmed and reported.
Nonetheless, I would not say 'very desperate'. Surely, not for what video is concerned - video works pretty well for me (at least at this stage of experimentation before real use). There is one thing though they should really work on: a "stabilizer" - the Floyd-Steinberg algorithm implemented for A2 is not optimized in the dimension of time; too many pixels change frame by frame, in a stateless model, regardless of what was rendered before, and this is bad for the battery. A dithering algorithm is needed that changes dots as little as possible as frames change. Also, and possibly more importantly, because I sometimes perceive the video flashing, which is bad (very bad as a visual impact). Confusingly, though: this "flashing" did not appear in the video I posted, right?
Nonetheless 2, I subscribe to calling the Onyx 'Monitor' software beta, incomplete: it lacks features. You cannot, for example, be bound to A2. Also, there is no quick refresh tap.

Quote:
On the positive side, if you are getting disappointed by my remark above, this is a really good versatile ereader. You can install almost any app. Writing with the pen is a pleasant experience. It slide very smooth on the surface and the reaction is instantaneous. The difference in feeling of the pen between Max and Max2 is like switching from normal pen to a ball-pen (different tip material). I handed my Max2 to a guy why had reMarkable and he was very jealous as he said writing on the reMarkable is slow and unnatural so he was very disappointed by their advertisement. I did not had a chance to try reMarkable myself unfortunately as he did not have it in his bag.
Also, I suppose that the different performance of the various software applications, noted in the past weeks, when using the pen, could be assessed and overcome. We will see.

Last edited by mdp; 02-23-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #15
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Fully native: I used VLC (for Android), as you see in the video.
The files (mp4) are on the tablet. The tablet is not connected to anything.

BTW: I watched a video after your post, and the audio and video happened to become out of sync. It may happen. I should check more (I do not use much EPD in winter).
Good news !

I think to use it for video lessons ... The performances are enough good for this.

With VLC it could be possible to resynchronize audio and video, but I prefer that you make more tests