Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
plugh
plugh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color and Sony Reader
Nook Color, Calibre and Gallery

I bought a Nook Color to give my wife for Christmas and loaded a bunch of books I have on Calibre. Problem is I also want to put a bunch of photos for her in the NC gallery and all the cover art from the books is there. Is there a way to move them someplace else or have a different page for photos other than the gallery?
plugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugh View Post
I bought a Nook Color to give my wife for Christmas and loaded a bunch of books I have on Calibre. Problem is I also want to put a bunch of photos for her in the NC gallery and all the cover art from the books is there. Is there a way to move them someplace else or have a different page for photos other than the gallery?
At this time the only way to get rid of the book covers is to manually delete via computer. Not really practical if you don't have a small library.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Unfortunately the photo gallery previews all of the images in any of the folders on your NC. Therefore I've only been transferring a few books at a time via calbre and then manually deleting the cover art before I disconnect the USB. You don't need the cover art *.jpgs in order for the covers to show on the NC. The other option is to drag-and-drop individual books from your calibre library folders to the NC Books folder rather than to use calibre's "Send to Device" option. Again, not a good option if you have a large library.

Also I don't believe anybody has figured out yet how to delete the stock photos from the gallery either. There is a delete option. However, the next time you cycle the power off / on to your NC it will restore what has been deleted. It seems to be a bug of some sort. It's annoying. I like to be organized too, and I just want to see my photos.

My post sounds a bit negative. Really the NC is a great device! I am thoroughly enjoying it, and I think your wife will be very happy with her gift. Merry Christmas!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
If there were any way to install the stock Android Gallery app, it will allow you to just browse files/folders on the SD card, and it has a fairly efficient method of not seeing everything at once.

The more I think about it, I suppose you'd have to be rooted to install that apk.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if you could create subfolders in the Pictures directory and then it turned the names of the subfolders into albums in the Gallery. Or, if you could create albums on the go like you can create collections / shelves for your books. Right now the Gallery seems to recognize all pictures in any folder.
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Unfortunately the photo gallery previews all of the images in any of the folders on your NC.
Try placing a file named ".nomedia" in specific folders that you don't want to include when the Gallery displays your pictures. Those folders should become effectively invisible to previews.

Last edited by RoboRay; 12-20-2010 at 11:51 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I wanted to solve this same issue recently. What I ended up doing was, after transferring books to the Nook Color, I used Windows Explorer to search my Books directory for *.jpg. This found every book cover thumbnail and it was a simple matter to select them all and delete them.

It doesn't look to me like the Nook Color needs the thumbnail .jpg's to display little thumbnail covers when browsing books. After deleting my .jpgs, most of my books still displayed covers. The ones that didn't display covers were ones that weren't displaying them anyway.

On a somewhat related note, there's apparently a known issue that causes some books not to display their covers. Some people have had some success fixing such books by messing around with Sigil and reconverting them and so on. I prefer to wait until B&N fixes it, since it seems to be a bug with how their firmware handles book covers.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
Try placing a file named ".nomedia" in specific folders that you don't want to include when the Gallery displays your pictures. Those folders should become effectively invisible to previews.
That's interesting...I might have to try that. I'm not sure I want my videos to show up in the picture gallery.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
plugh

I tried this as well, even deleted everything in the .thumbnail directory but the images are remade. It seems as if they're being drawn from the epub files. Also tried the .nomedia idea but it didn't work for me.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
plugh

I couldn't get this to work... I went through and deleted all jpgs. The thumbnails are redrawn. I see you have a rooted NC ... I wonder if there are any Android gallery aps for 2.1.... maybe B&N will have a fix for this when they come out with 2.2. I use a Droid-2 with 2.3 and know there are gallery apps in the marketplace.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
plugh

What folder do you delete the cover art from?... I tried deleting all the jpgs but they keep coming back.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Ozric
Zealot

Strange. I no longer see book cover images when I browse the Gallery on my Nook Color--just the photos I put on it, a few of my videos, and the stock photos and video that came with the device.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
What folder do you delete the cover art from?... I tried deleting all the jpgs but they keep coming back.
If you have transferred your books using calibre, then you should see a folder something like My Files > Books > Author Name > Book Title. In that subfolder you should see EPUB and JPG files. That's where I delete the JPG's from to remove the cover art. I can still see the covers ok on my NC even if I delete the JPG files.

If you have transferred your books using Adobe Digital Editions, then you should see a folder something like Digital Editions > Thumbnails. You need to delete the various images from these folders to remove the JPG's. At least I think that's what I did. Mine is clean since I have been using mostly calibre.

Or, you could just do a search on your NC drive for the JPG files to find them all at once.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #14
plugh

What happens to me now is I still see the thumbnails for all the Epub books in my Gallery but there are no associated jpegs. I searched the drive using the Win 7 search engine and went through each directory manually to be sure. The only jpgs are the pictures I moved into the "Picture" folder and the stock photos that I can't get rid of. The Gallery must be getting the images from the epub files as far as I can tell. It does take time for them to load and before they load there are blank spaces already drawn for them. Maybe I need to to a reset and move the epubs over manually without the associated jpgs unless anyone else has another suggestion. As it is the gallery is useless and is a deal breaker for this unit if I can't get this to work.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #15
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
I tried this as well, even deleted everything in the .thumbnail directory but the images are remade. It seems as if they're being drawn from the epub files. Also tried the .nomedia idea but it didn't work for me.
You may have to reboot for the Gallery to notice the .nomedia file and stop displaying that folder.

You might also consider replacing the Gallery with JustPictures. JP has a toggle setting in the menus for whether or not you want it to honor the .nomedia file. I use JP on my phone because it performs better than the built in Gallery and I also prefer the layout.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote