Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2018, 02:59 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The OP said "just a tap", nothing about automated page turning.
True, but John wants automatic page turning.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #32
moonmuse
moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.moonmuse knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: kindle
Been lurking here for years (awesome place!), but saw this topic and decided to delurk for a bit. I'm a long-time amateur pianist, and when I got my kindle, very soon afterwards I was thinking how nice it'd be to have something similar for sheet music.

Only took 7.5 years for it to become reality, but to me it was certainly worth the wait. Not in the least because I have a few bookcases with lots of old pianobooks that are falling apart, and piles of printed sheet music of which I have the original digital files... and digital sheet music looks so good on these screens! Early Spring cleaning. ;-)

I very seldom perform in public, so am not too worried about the Gvido suddenly dying on me during a performance. In fact, when I got the device, I found it a bit buggy, but after a software update, it's been smooth sailing all the way.

It does have a few flaws:
- No wireless transfer of sheets straight from the computer to the device, but it does work via the cloud (personal library) or via USB. My Mac didn’t much care for the USB solution (with some Android file transfer software) at first.
- The touch screen only responds to the stylus pen, so adding/changing information to the tags (Title, Composer etc.) means inputting the text via an on-screen keyboard by tapping on the letters with the pen. It's slow, even though you can save words like names of composers so it recognizes the word after adding the first few letters of the name, making it slightly less time-consuming.

Once you've got the sheets on the device and added any information, you don't ever need to do it again, though. And you can upload the sheets (including any notes you added) to your personal library, so you do have a backup in the cloud.

The Gvido is not smart enough to know when I want it to turn the pages, but the switches on the sides work fine. It took a bit of adjusting for me, because with real books, you almost blindly reach to turn the page, and here you do have to pay a bit more attention at first, otherwise you can miss the switch.

I did put a few non-sheet music pdf files onto the device, just for the heck of it. And quickly deleted them again. I don't think anybody would like to read a novel this way, and for large-size pages, a one-screen device is much better.

Last edited by moonmuse; 01-31-2018 at 04:44 PM.
moonmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Thanks, moonmuse, it's great to have a report from someone who has actually used the device.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #34
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
My fear of using an electronic device would be that it wiuld lock up in the middle of a performance.
My biggest fear is ME locking up in the middle of a performance, when playing from memory!

Actually, you do play much better from memory than when using printed music. But memorization is more difficult for some of us than for others.

Another question: Why is it that the soloist in a concerto with the symphony has to play from memory, when everybody ELSE in the orchestra has music in front of them?! It's just not fair I tell you, not fair!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #35
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
My biggest fear is ME locking up in the middle of a performance, when playing from memory!

Actually, you do play much better from memory than when using printed music. But memorization is more difficult for some of us than for others.

Another question: Why is it that the soloist in a concerto with the symphony has to play from memory, when everybody ELSE in the orchestra has music in front of them?! It's just not fair I tell you, not fair!
I've never understood why solo performers are supposed to play from memory. I've known otherwise excellent musicians who just don't happen to have a good memory. I would much prefer to watch & listen to a confident performance using the music than a performance with memory glitches and restarts.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #36
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've never understood why solo performers are supposed to play from memory. I've known otherwise excellent musicians who just don't happen to have a good memory. I would much prefer to watch & listen to a confident performance using the music than a performance with memory glitches and restarts.
Probably because by the time you are ready to perform as a solo performer, you have already practised the given piece so many times it would be surprising if you didn't know it by heart. Or rather, "by your fingers", since as the story goes, if you cut off a musician's head during the performance, his fingers will still continue playing for quite a while. I am an amateur musician myself, but I already reached a level with quite a few pieces that my fingers can automatically play the music and I can be reading a book at the same time.

Nonetheless, I don't think this particular device is up to its intended purpose. There are too many flaws already mentioned in this thread, to which I'll add just one. This is the same flaw that many e-learning textbooks share. They are laid out and devised by people who have experience mostly with paper textbooks, so they actually replicate in digital all the limitations of the "analogue" world. One example would be the idea of "repeats", "codas" etc. While on paper they need to be marked with special signs and the artist has to flip pages to and fro, in digital they should be treated more or less as "shadow copies" (as they are calles in some DAW apps) so no returns or flipping back should ever be needed.

But this won't happen unless music publishing houses completely revise their philosophy (perceiving sheet music as a logical structure, not as a visual approximation of music). And I don't believe this is going to happen in any foreseeable future.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
Nonetheless, I don't think this particular device is up to its intended purpose. There are too many flaws already mentioned in this thread, to which I'll add just one. This is the same flaw that many e-learning textbooks share. They are laid out and devised by people who have experience mostly with paper textbooks, so they actually replicate in digital all the limitations of the "analogue" world. One example would be the idea of "repeats", "codas" etc. While on paper they need to be marked with special signs and the artist has to flip pages to and fro, in digital they should be treated more or less as "shadow copies" (as they are calles in some DAW apps) so no returns or flipping back should ever be needed.
From the web site, it looks like they have made some attempt to do this. There are some details about organising the pages of the score so that only paging forward is used. It doesn't appear to be automatic, but the user of the device has to organise what they need, but it looks like they can order the pages so that a group of pages will be repeated however many times it is needed. The "shadow copies" sounds like a good description to me.

Of course, it would be better if the digitisation of the score and the software displaying it handled this automatically. Some of these are up to the interpretation of the performer, and what is done while learning a new piece is different, so something like this would need to be customisable. My experience with this is fairly low (turning pages for other family members) and I've never really looked at the software available, so maybe something is already available to do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I was reading the spec on the new Onyx stuff, and the Boox e-Music Score says: "Auto page turning with piano score".

Inconceivable!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #39
fefcas
Felipe Castro
fefcas began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Paper
Back and forth reading music scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From the web site, it looks like they have made some attempt to do this. There are some details about organising the pages of the score so that only paging forward is used. It doesn't appear to be automatic, but the user of the device has to organise what they need, but it looks like they can order the pages so that a group of pages will be repeated however many times it is needed. The "shadow copies" sounds like a good description to me.

Of course, it would be better if the digitisation of the score and the software displaying it handled this automatically. Some of these are up to the interpretation of the performer, and what is done while learning a new piece is different, so something like this would need to be customisable. My experience with this is fairly low (turning pages for other family members) and I've never really looked at the software available, so maybe something is already available to do this.
Something that I've been trying to do, see this software specification:
E-Part Spec

Lilypond music editor has the option to roll off the repeats in the generated PDF, but it does not work for other jumps like Da Capo, Segno, Coda, etc.
fefcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #40
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
I use the app forScore with a 9.7" iPad Pro (doesn't have to be a Pro model, any iPad can handle it. Digital scores can be downloaded to the app, or scanned in using the iPad camera, or a separate scanner. I use a flatbed scanner which I already had and am gradually scanning in sheet music and fakebooks etc. from my existing collection. Page turns are accomplished by a simple tap at the side of the screen, which is no more demanding than momentarily removing a hand from the keyboard to access one of the many button controls. Nevertheless, the app will also work with bluetooth page turner pedals.
Looking at the price of digital music dedicated devices, it would probably be cheaper to buy an iPad with all its other possibilities and pay for the app!
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote