Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #16
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
If you're a Fictionwise member you can get Eon and Legacy from there library here I did
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I've just had a peek at the library.......everything seems to be in secure Mobi (which I suppose is essential to make the books 'expire'). Do you change the format to read on your device? I have a Sony so might have problems.....
Thanks
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Any new recommendations? I bought Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy and I would like to discover new titles now that they are 40% off, but I find that website a little bit confusing to navigate.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #19
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I enjoyed:

Elizabeth Dearl's Taylor Madison series (mystery)
some of Roberta Olsen Major's Royal Pains series (YA)
Even Dead Men Play Chess by Michael Weisz (mystery)
some of Darrell Bain's Sex Gates series (sci-fi)
Liz Sullivan series by Lora Roberts (mystery; very highly rec'd)
anything by Jeff Strand (comic mystery)
some of RX series by Renne Horowitz (mystery)
anything by Karen Leabo

Did not enjoy:

Calling (previously rec'd on this thread, but I thought it was terrible)
Bad Hair Day series by Nancy J. Cohen (very poorly copy-edited, numerous mistakes)
Time and Again by Nancy Fraser (very implausible premise)
Crux by Moira Rogers (too rushed, the main chars fall in love on around page 2)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #20
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
There's a couple of Lucius Shepard stories and a novella multiformat on Fictionwise. I think Shepard is one of the finest writers alive. Fictionwise's selection of his stuff is pretty narrow, though I think I've seen The Jaguar Hunter available as an ebook somewhere - possibly from electricstory.com.

I grew up reading Harlan Ellison, one of the predominant 'characters' of the sf field, and a lot of his books are available on FW. I don't even know where to begin in terms of what to buy, since so many are to mind stone-cold classics. If you're not familiar with him, buy one or two of his short stories; he rarely writes novels, and has built his reputation on his huge number of short stories. Star Trek fans are familiar with him as the author of the OS episode 'City on the Edge of Forever'.

Chris Beckett is a UK sf author who writes in a style not dissimilar to that of Christopher Priest (The Prestige), Eric Brown (Meridian Days) and other distinctly English authors. He's won awards for his short and long fiction, which might be described as literary sf. I highly recommend his novel The Holy Machine, multiformat on FW, as is his collection of shorts The Turing Test.

Paul Di Filippo has a nice little short novel up, 'Linear City' or something like that. Set in a city only a few hundred metres wide and possibly infinite in length, with Hell on one side of a river and Heaven on the far side of a rail track that define the world's parameters. Good stuff.

Fritz Leiber's The Wanderer won the Hugo in the mid-Sixties. I've read and reread it several times. He has other stuff available in multiformat too.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #21
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
The Complete Memoirs of Casanova may not be what people typically think. Casanova was an essayist who traveled extensively throughout 18th Century Europe. His observations on manners and customs are enlightening. The Multiformat books are quite inexpensive too.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #22
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Clickers by J. F. Gonzalez & Mark Williams

A lot of fun to read, especially if you're a fan of the old Roger Corman B monster movies.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 AM   #23
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
It would also be worth checking out Lavie Tidhar's new (2009) anthology The Apex Book of World SF, available in multiformat and ridiculously cheap with the sale that's on at the time of writing.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #24
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
This is a publisher:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/p1...diobooks-LLC/?

Wonder Audiobooks has 78 multiformat ebooks on fictionwise right now. Philip K. Dick and Frederik Pohl, among others!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #25
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Another one

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/p1...ance-E-Books/?

Renaissance E-Books has a lot of titles available, some omnibus editions, pulp serials and so on! Lots of fun to be had for not a lot of money!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote