Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
lindylex
lindylex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2013
Kindle Not Showing Sideloaded Content

Kindle PaperWhite Version:
Serial Num: G090 G105 .... ....
Firmware Version 5.8.9.0.1

I tried Calibre to copy book to the device and they are not listed when I try to list them via clicking the "My Library" / Downloaded. I even tried "All". I see nothing.

I tried to manually copy the books to the Kindle's PaperWhite mount point / documents and nothing is showing up. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Last edited by lindylex; 07-30-2017 at 10:58 PM.
lindylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
What format (file extension) are your books?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Once side loaded did you use you pc to put them into the Documents file on the PW?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #4
lindylex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
What format (file extension) are your books?
.mobi, .txt, .azw and .azw3 are the formats and I am using Debian Linux as the conduit.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
lindylex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Once side loaded did you use you pc to put them into the Documents file on the PW?
.mobi, .txt, .azw and .azw3 are the formats and I am using Debian Linux as the conduit. I copied the files to the PaperWhite documents folder manually and that failed. I then tried Calibre and that copied to the same location and nothing showed up.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylex View Post
.mobi, .txt, .azw and .azw3 are the formats and I am using Debian Linux as the conduit. I copied the files to the PaperWhite documents folder manually and that failed. I then tried Calibre and that copied to the same location and nothing showed up.

Thanks
Does the PW have the correct time?

If you do ls -l with the PW mounted on linux, what is the date for the files compared to actual time and PW time?

Files int the "future" may not show up, and files in the far past are not "new".
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:28 AM   #7
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylex View Post
Kindle PaperWhite Version:

I tried to manually copy the books to the Kindle's PaperWhite mount point / documents and nothing is showing up. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks

1. Change the view from "Book" to "All item" or "Docs" (See the picture below). Your documents are still not there?

2. If you open the mounted folder [KINDLE]/documents from PC in it there are your files?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	158180  
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do the books show up in a search? Have you got any books that have got stuck indexing?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing to do is to make sure you are running the latest firmware. Depending on which PW you have, 5.8.9.10 could be current version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
ayangr
ayangr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,

when converting a book from any other format use .mobi (not .azw3) and make sure that you have selected the OLD file type, not NEW or BOTH (that's under Calibre conversion setting "mobi output")

A good test is to send the file to your kindle's email address. Any error in the format will result in Amazon sending you back an error response instead of placing the file in your personal documents space.

Once you are successful with the above settings you may further experiment with changing some settings and sending via Calibre. Note that sideloaded books are not considered "Books" but "Docs" (personal documents) and may lack some proper ebook features.
ayangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayangr View Post
Hi,

when converting a book from any other format use .mobi (not .azw3) and make sure that you have selected the OLD file type, not NEW or BOTH (that's under Calibre conversion setting "mobi output")

A good test is to send the file to your kindle's email address. Any error in the format will result in Amazon sending you back an error response instead of placing the file in your personal documents space.

Once you are successful with the above settings you may further experiment with changing some settings and sending via Calibre. Note that sideloaded books are not considered "Books" but "Docs" (personal documents) and may lack some proper ebook features.
Sorry, but no. That's not good advice.The OP has a PW and all PW models support KF8 (AZW3). KF8 is a better format. Mobi needs to die. So suggesting to use Mobi with a Kindle that supports KF8 is a rather bad idea.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayangr View Post
Hi,

I must respectfully disagree. Unless you intend to email files to your Kindle, AZW3 is a much better choice than Mobi when converting from other formats. It's a richer format, and hence will preserve more features of the original.

However, given that none of the OP's books are appearing on the Kindle, this doesn't seem likely to be a consequence of conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I suggest the OP update the firmware and then see what happens.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #14
lindylex

[ SOLUTION SOLVED ]

I updated to the latest firmware. Set the Kindle to reload to factory settings and this took care of everything. Now the file system has way more default files. Something went wrong during the first setup, I guess.

Thanks for the help all.