Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
boook
Banned
boook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle, iPhone
How can I read a book past the due date?

I got a book, but it expired earlier today, and I only have 1 chapter left. How can I finish it? Can someone make me a patch or something to do this?
boook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
No.....that's not happening.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
NlLuJe
Banned
NlLuJe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O
BLAM!
NlLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Library book? turn the wifi off till your done
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:47 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Library book? turn the wifi off till your done
Kobo doesn't work that way. Turn the WiFi off and the ereader clock is still running and your book will expire on schedule. You'd need to turn WiFi off AND set the clock back before the book expires.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2018, 02:35 AM   #6
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I remember that on Sony readers if the book was open you could read it indefinitely as the expiration was seemingly only checked on opening. Is Kobo different in that regard?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I remember that on Sony readers if the book was open you could read it indefinitely as the expiration was seemingly only checked on opening. Is Kobo different in that regard?
Kobo works much he same way. As long as you keep the book open you can read it for as long as you want past the expiry date.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Stealing library books is not cool.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
David0226
David0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watch

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Aura One
Have you investigated whether you can just check the book out again? This would seem to be the most straight forward solution. Of course if it is a popular book that has many "holds" on it, you might have to wait quite a while.
David0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Stealing books period is not cool.

Does any one know if the warning messages for an expiring library book show up on the current firmware if you have "Show Title" unselected in the reading settings? At least on older firmware that is where the warning messages would display, though only until you went to the next page if I recall correctly. I haven't run into this myself since installing the latest firmware that has the "Show Title" option.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I don't think anyone here is advocating stealing library books. With physical books, you can choose to pay a small fine and turn a book in a day or two late. People don't have that option with ebooks, but have found there is sometimes a "workaround" that gives them the time to finish that last chapter or two.

And yes, the first option should be to check to see if you can simply renew - but most ebooks I borrow have long waiting lists and I can understand the frustration of being sooo-close to finishing when the book comes up due.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 PM   #12
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kobo doesn't work that way. Turn the WiFi off and the ereader clock is still running and your book will expire on schedule. You'd need to turn WiFi off AND set the clock back before the book expires.
Odd. I would think if no internet connection they can not zap it off your device. I tried it on my kindle, I was like 2 chapters away from done and I turned the wifi off and it seems to work on kindles at least
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Noone is stealing for you rent and then return, he just needs to hold onto it till hes done reading. My library has a 21 day check out time. I almost never can finish by then
Old 11-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Odd. I would think if no internet connection they can not zap it off your device. I tried it on my kindle, I was like 2 chapters away from done and I turned the wifi off and it seems to work on kindles at least
That really depends on how the checking is implemented. It could be done by checking the time on the device and no longer allowing the book to be read if the loan has expired. Or it could be checking with the server to validate the expiry as you might have extended it. And as Kobo has two library methods, Adobe and via the store, they could be handled differently.

I would expect that if the clock on the device was changed before the loan expired, you would be able to keep reading. That isn't going to work for long as you won't be able to sync the device to get more books from Kobo. It might work with books sideloaded by ADE, but it would quickly become a pain.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote