Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
rckmnr
rckmnr began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Calibre won't open in Windows 10

I tried to open Calibre from an ebook, and it would not open. I tried several more, tried from the she shortcut on my desktop, tried from the start menu, and tried from the executable with no luck.

I uninstalled Calibre, and reinstalled with a fresh copy. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove the previous version so everything was removed. No luck.

I have no plug-ins and I turned off my anti-virus. Again, no luck.

Help!
rckmnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If it's the 64bit edition of calibre, can you try installing the 32bit edition? The 32bit edition will use existing configuration and libraries.

The 64bit and 32 bit editions can coexist - no need to reinstall the 64bit first.

Added : which release of Windows 10

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-16-2017 at 04:37 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried booting into safe mode and then running Calibre? If it then runs, something you have running at startup is the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
rckmnr
rckmnr began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
If it's the 64bit edition of calibre, can you try installing the 32bit edition? The 32bit edition will use existing configuration and libraries.

The 64bit and 32 bit editions can coexist - no need to reinstall the 64bit first.

Added : which release of Windows 10

BR
Maybe I'm missing something, but I installed from the msi file and there is no 32/64 bit option in installation. My OS Build is 15063.608 and my latest update was KB4038788 dated 9/12.
rckmnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckmnr View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I installed from the msi file and there is no 32/64 bit option in installation. My OS Build is 15063.608 and my latest update was KB4038788 dated 9/12.
From where are you downloading calibre - should be https://calibre-ebook.com/download - which should look like this,

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	159058

The one in the red box is 32 bit

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-17-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
and how did you download it- some methods will give you a file with the property" blocked" which you have to untick via right click =- properties.
Annoying little windows security "feature" - which you can get rid off, if you google ho to
If you install from a "blocked" installer i;s not going to work

https://www.howtogeek.com/70012/what...ily-remove-it/
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know I said this before, but you don't seem to have read.

Try safe mode.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
CrazyDutchwoman
CrazyDutchwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi there. Glad I decided to search first because I am having the exact problem. Last week nothing the matter. I was using calibre 64 a lot. Yesterday I wanted to run and my pc gave me the message that this app can't be executed on this pc (translated from Dutch)

So I tried in admin mode and will now try in safemode but I think this happened because of a windows update or so because I did nothing to have this occur. Windows 10 and I have a 64 based windows and my calibre which I can't open is 64 bit.
CrazyDutchwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDutchwoman View Post
Hi there. Glad I decided to search first because I am having the exact problem. Last week nothing the matter. I was using calibre 64 a lot. Yesterday I wanted to run and my pc gave me the message that this app can't be executed on this pc (translated from Dutch)

So I tried in admin mode and will now try in safemode but I think this happened because of a windows update or so because I did nothing to have this occur. Windows 10 and I have a 64 based windows and my calibre which I can't open is 64 bit.
As JSWolf suggests, try safe mode.

If that doesn't work install and try the 32bit version as per my posts - #2 & #6.

BR
Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
CrazyDutchwoman

Quote:

If that doesn't work install and try the 32bit version as per my posts - #2 & #6.

BR
Thanks. I tried and it did not work. Received the same message. So I install this one in a different folder I assume? Sorry for being a pest.

Eta i see you say they can co exist.

Last edited by CrazyDutchwoman; 09-17-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

BR
If that doesn't work, installing the 32-bit version is not going to fix whatever is wrong. Whatever is wrong needs to be fixed. Trying the 32-bit version is not a good idea. Fixing the problem is a good idea.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #13
CrazyDutchwoman

Thank you BetterRed. This helped a lot. To my surprise it all installed itself and here I thought I had to organise everything I did not. All my books are there. Have a nice Sunday.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #14
CrazyDutchwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If that doesn't work, installing the 32-bit version is not going to fix whatever is wrong. Whatever is wrong needs to be fixed. Trying the 32-bit version is not a good idea. Fixing the problem is a good idea.
Well true but I am quite happy that I can use my calibre again. I think it has to do with a windows update because why was there no problem and then all of a sudden there was? Happy to help trying to figure out.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDutchwoman View Post
Well true but I am quite happy that I can use my calibre again. I think it has to do with a windows update because why was there no problem and then all of a sudden there was? Happy to help trying to figure out.
It's not a Windows Update. I have a fully updated Windows 10 and I don't have any issue with Calibre 64-bit. It's something else. Have you tried safe mode?

Installing and using the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit doesn't help with whatever the problem is. The problem could just end up getting worse if you don't fix it.

Tags
calibre, windows 10