Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #3241
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Huh. That's the basic "I failed to run kindletool" error message, which is definitely weird.

You could try reinstalling MRPI from the snapshots, maybe?
mrinstaller.log from my PW2 (5.10.1.1) with the latest MRPI snapshot:

Spoiler:

[2018-10-17 @ 15:00:27 -0400] :: [MRPI r15378] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_python_0.15.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3_koa2.bin' (python 0.15.N I WARIO+ZELDA) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_python_0.15.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3_koa2.bin' (python 0.15.N I WARIO+ZELDA), skipping . . .

[2018-10-17 @ 15:00:29 -0400] :: [MRPI r15378] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_linkfonts_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_ko a_kt3_koa2.bin' (linkfonts 0.14.N I WARIO+ZELDA) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_linkfonts_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_ko a_kt3_koa2.bin' (linkfonts 0.14.N I WARIO+ZELDA), skipping . . .

[2018-10-17 @ 15:00:32 -0400] :: [MRPI r15378] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_linkss_0.25.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3_koa2.bin' (linkss 0.25.N I WARIO+ZELDA) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_linkss_0.25.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_k t3_koa2.bin' (linkss 0.25.N I WARIO+ZELDA), skipping . . .

Last edited by JimmyR; 10-17-2018 at 03:54 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #3242
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Which fw version?

Gesendet von meinem KIW-L21 mit Tapatalk
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #3243
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Which fw version?
Old 10-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #3244
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Huh, could one of you try with the version attached to this post?

It won't work any better, but it'll dump detailed logging in mrpi.log at the root of your device (i.e., /mnt/us/mrpi.log), which should hopefully shed a bit more light on this .

(This is probably failing on a bit of shell hackery that was simply begging to crap out).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-28-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Fix released ;)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #3245
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Huh, could one of you try with the version attached to this post?

(This is probably failing on a bit of shell hackery that was simply begging to crap out).
When I used ;log mrpi, I got the same results with the same mrinstaller.log-- screen blank, reboot, etc. No log file at /mnt/us/

When I launched mrinstaller from KUAL, nothing happened, and this was the contents of /mnt/us/mrpi.log:
Code:
/tmp/klauncher_background-3468370758876805001.sh: line 2: ./bin/mrinstaller.sh: Permission denied

Last edited by JimmyR; 10-17-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #3246
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JimmyR: Okay, that narrows it down.

This version wouldn't have changed anything when launched via ;log mrpi, because the gist of the changes lied in the KUAL call.

That you get such a failure in KUAL may point towards a bit of FW fuckery: we relied on an obscure undocumented feature to restore an exec'able mount of the userstore, and that feature may have been flushed down the drain.

I'll double-check...

EDIT: Nope, still there, at least in spirit. Will keep digging.
Random tidbit: It's probably going to be the PW4 base FW (codename: Moonshine, on the Rex platform).

EDIT²: Nope, looks sane. In case no-one did this already, try after a clean reboot?

EDIT³: Err, stupid question, @JimmyR: Did the "normal" MPRI version actually run via KUAL?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #3247
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
EDIT²: Nope, looks sane. In case no-one did this already, try after a clean reboot?
Yeah, I did a reboot before the last attempt.

Quote:
EDIT³: Err, stupid question, @JimmyR: Did the "normal" MPRI version actually run via KUAL?
No. Nothing at all happened. It just returned to the home screen.

Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited by JimmyR; 10-17-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #3248
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Whoop, hold your horses, I think I got it.

5.10 > 5.9, but because I'm very stupid it gets detected as 5.1, and that bit of userstore hackery depends on FW 5.4, and 5.1 < 5.4, so, epic fail.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #3249
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Whoop, hold your horses, I think I got it.

5.10 > 5.9, but because I'm very stupid it gets detected as 5.1, and that bit of userstore hackery depends on FW 5.4, and 5.1 < 5.4, so, epic fail.
Hurray! lol
Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #3250
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Will take a bit of time to fix it, because this is a bit of logic that's in a few places, but mainly in the bridge, and I wouldn't want to fuck that one up some more ;p.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #3251
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

No worries. Thanks again for your work and prompt attention.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #3252
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, the latest hotfix should, well, fix it ;p.

I'm also in the process of pushing updated snapshots, just to be safe, because I don't recall what else might have been broken by this bug .

EDIT: Done! I'd strongly recommend using these instead of older packages .
Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #3253
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

All good here. That was fast, thanks!

Installed the hotfix then the newest snapshots.
Attached Files
File Type: gz mrinstaller.log.gz (35.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #3254
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JimmyR: Thanks! I'll put out a PSA in a dedicated thread to spread the news .
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #3255
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
@JimmyR: Thanks! I'll put out a PSA in a dedicated thread to spread the news .
You're welcome. Glad I could do something even if it was very little.

Sorry I don't have a newer device that's jailbroken. My PW3 came with too current firmware. I don't want to tear it apart just for book cover screensavers. :P