Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #26761
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
And so 2018 Begins!

I started the year by reading Dead Until Dark, this first book in the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series. I finished it yesterday. It was great revisiting Bon Temps, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

I am now reading The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death, the first of three prequels for The Hollows series. I did not realize this was a full-fledged novel at first. I had planned to read all three prequels by this weekend (the other two are graphic novels), but I think it will take me that long to complete this story.

I'm only three chapters (about 45 pages) in and disliking all of the main characters (which is the point for at least one of them). I am curious to see where this all leads.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #26762
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm only three chapters (about 45 pages) in and disliking all of the main characters (which is the point for at least one of them). I am curious to see where this all leads.
If you're not liking any of the characters, how are you going to make it through 13 books in the series?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #26763
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
New year and I am already forgetting to update...
  • am almost done with an excellent audio re-read of Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own
Finished this whilst cooking dinner.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #26764
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finished up Ben Aaronovitch's novella The Furthest Station novella (5.5 in the Peter Grant series). It was fun, but the sheer volume of procedural, organizational and institutional acronyms is starting to get out of hand.

Now reading Stella Gemmell's The Immortal Thone. The follow-up to her debut solo novel The City.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #26765
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
If you're not liking any of the characters, how are you going to make it through 13 books in the series? : eek:
LOL! Becuase only one from the prequel makes it to the main series.. and I'm not even sure its the same character. It might be a relative, but I doubt it.
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 AM   #26766
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I started F&SF for Jan/Feb 2018.
And a good issue it was too. I think I've liked far more of the stories since C. C. Finlay took over as editor.

Next up: Kill Before Dying by Travis S. Taylor. The fifth is his Tau Ceti Agenda series. Confusing but fun.

I actually started Man-Kzin Wars III by Larry Niven et al.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-08-2018 at 07:09 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #26767
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm spending today trying to finish two books started last month. A PD James Dalgliesh novel - The Death of an Expert Witness, and the first of Joseph Hansen's Dave Brandstetter novels, Fadeout. I really want to get them finished today, because I know I've got two books arriving tomorrow and another next Tuesday. All next books in favourite series, so pre-ordered.
And I've finished those -- enjoyed both of them quite a bit. The PD James is, of course, well written, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Joseph Hansen novel. This first of the Dave Brandstetter books held up well and was an excellent read and a good mystery.

I then read the 19th Foreigner book, Emergence, by CJ Cherryh. Excellent. This series has stood up well, and continues to make me wish she could write faster! This book has, like the last several, had a bit more Cajeiri, and a bit less Bren, than I might choose, but not such that it's a problem.

Also listening to Neogenesis, the 21st book in the Liaden Universe. I read the eARC this fall, so this time I'm listening to the Audible version.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #26768
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
If you're not liking any of the characters, how are you going to make it through 13 books in the series?
Maybe it is for the hope that they will meet a horrible end? I had the same reason for reading 2000s Supergirl comic. I disliked her so much that I was rooting for the villains to win.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #26769
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows last night.

Started to listen to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, but the car has the file order scattered, and it's impossible to find the next file whilst driving, so I gave up on that.

Went to The Fellowship of the Ring (I guess the BBC radio production?), borrowed form my library. Lasted all of 45 minutes. Between the weird musical interludes, dramatic reinterpretation of narration into dialog and the funny voices, I just couldn't handle it. When I researched it, 'most everyone agrees that the Rob Inglis reading is the best, but that's quite a hefty investment: $30 for the first two volumes, and $33 for the last. Don't know if I want to listen to it quite that badly yet... I can always queue it into my digital TBR.

Anyway, I am almost finished with Cannibalism by Bill Schutt, after which I will read another Chanur book, I think.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #26770
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Maybe it is for the hope that they will meet a horrible end? I had the same reason for reading 2000s Supergirl comic. I disliked her so much that I was rooting for the villains to win.
And I'm betting you were disappointed?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #26771
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Started to listen to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, but the car has the file order scattered, and it's impossible to find the next file whilst driving, so I gave up on that.
I hate it when that happens. Sometimes my iPod gets put on Shuffle (goodness knows how, just call me butterfingers) and I have to turn it off 'cos it's too dangerous to sort whilst driving. What really annoys is when I don't realise it has skipped chapters and listen to one all the way through before realising the follow-on just doesn't makes sense in the timeline.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 PM   #26772
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Just finished my first read of 2018, Afterlife by Marcus Sakey. As per my brief GR review, a five star read from an author I am looking forward to reading more of.

Quote:
The last thing FBI agent Will Brody remembers is the explosion — a thousand shards of glass surfing a lethal shock wave. He wakes without a scratch. The building is in ruins. His team is gone. Outside, Chicago is dark. Cars lie abandoned. No planes cross the sky. He’s relieved to spot other people — until he sees they’re carrying machetes.

Welcome to the afterlife.

Last edited by orlok; 01-06-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #26773
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I then read the 19th Foreigner book, Emergence, by CJ Cherryh. Excellent. This series has stood up well, and continues to make me wish she could write faster! This book has, like the last several, had a bit more Cajeiri, and a bit less Bren, than I might choose, but not such that it's a problem.

Also listening to Neogenesis, the 21st book in the Liaden Universe. I read the eARC this fall, so this time I'm listening to the Audible version.
Finished Emergence, and was going to start something unknown, when the latest Ava Lee, The Imam of Tawi-Tawi, dropped onto my Kindle. That's what I'll be reading today.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #26774
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished my first book of the year, Shards of Murder by Cheryl Hollon, 2nd book in the Webb's Glass Shop Mysteries. On to book 3 Cracked to Death. I'm really addicted to this series. Very nice little cozy mysteries!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #26775
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I started the year by reading Dead Until Dark, this first book in the Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series. I finished it yesterday. It was great revisiting Bon Temps, and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

I am now reading The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death, the first of three prequels for The Hollows series. I did not realize this was a full-fledged novel at first. I had planned to read all three prequels by this weekend (the other two are graphic novels), but I think it will take me that long to complete this story.

Quote:
Quote:
LOL! Becuase only one from the prequel makes it to the main series.. and I'm not even sure its the same character. It might be a relative, but I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
LOL! No, I don't have that kind of evil streak.

I'm still reading; Twenty Chapters; 263 pages.

1. I'm still not a fan of the main characters of this prequel. There is one, however, that I now dislike more than the others.
2. I was right about one making it into the main series but was wrong about who that would be. The one in the main series is a vital support character.
3. Also, the one I thought was in the main series won't be but IS a relative of one of the main characters.

I hope all of that made sense.

I doubt that I'll be able to finish the book today, but I hope to make a significant dent in it none the less.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.