Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
foxden_vixen
foxden_vixen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Indexing in Kindle Fire HX 10 7th gen

I read in another forum here for Kindles how to check to see how many books one has that still need to be indexed. I have a large library that I am trying to load from Calibre on to my Kindle Fire. The process is to search in books for either a nonsense word or a word that could be in one of my books. There is supposed to be a "search everywhere" button but I don't have that option in my Fire. Now what? I would like to see the progress of indexing my books.
foxden_vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Dunno anything about Kindle Fire, but I'll "bump" your thread, and also point out that: the idea is to search while you are NOT inside a book, but are looking at the index of books. That way the search will cover all books, not just the book you are in. Maybe that's what you meant .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
foxden_vixen
foxden_vixen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I did find out on Amazon that indexing is different with Fire tablets. They don't work the same. I have books that are getting stuck somewhere though. I load them on my Fire using Calibre and they never show up. I did find the trick where you convert from Mobi to Mobi and that didn't work either. Not sure what is going on.
foxden_vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Did you put the tab on ALL? IF you have an SDCard installed that's where also are BUT you cant see them thru the device. Too see IF they are there Connect the Fire to the PC via USB Click on the File folder on Your PC Then click on Fire when that window opens click on Fire to see if they are there IF they are just drag them into the Documents file. IF they are not there back out click on SDCard IF you find then on the SDCard DELETE. USE Proper way to disconnect the fire from the PC. UNMOUNT you SDcard thru Fire Settings. Remove then re connect to PC & Side load they should show up IF you are using Calibre BUT IF NOT go into the Fire thru the file folder on PC & Click & Drop them into the correct file.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Rather than try to figure out what you are doing wrong, you could try fetching the books from calibre , wirelessly. using the calibre companion app from the Amazon app store.
That app understands where to put the books so that they show up, and it has its own sub forum for help.
Pretty sure there is a free trial version in the store, to test with
I move all my books wirelessly using that, both kindle and epub formats, and once I have it seeing my calibre content server, it just works.

Ps it is not entirely clear what tablet you have. There is no hx range. There is fire hd, and there used to be higher spec fire hdx. Anything actually called kindle fire is a very old device.
Another wireless option, for mobi only though, Is to use the send to kindle email solution. That works without calibre, but books appear as documents, and you have to pre-allow the send-from email address, and remember the send-to device email address or change the Amazon default one to something easier to remember.
The advantage of that method 8s that it works long distance and you don't have to know anything about files and folders.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wireless app didn't work on my fire...nor my phone just a piece of CR*P
Old 09-11-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
do you want help fixing that, or just want to vent
wireless capability is built into all recent kindles, all fire tablets, all fire tv... part of the OS, not an app
I am sure that folks here, or amazon troubleshooting can sort it if you provide more info
e.g. step 1 I trust you've got it out of aeroplane mode and have wifi enabled in settings - does it see any networks ?
step 2 , if it is not seeing any of your networks, does it see any at starbucks of somewhere where you know there is free public wifi.....
the answer to 2 tells you whether the issue is with your tablet or with your router....

and so on....
do you have any non amazon wifi devices and do they work ok ...

i am sure you have complained before about unwanted updates being pushed by amazon to your fire tablet - those come via wifi, surely ???

PS is that an amazon fire phone you are complaining about - I didn't realise anyone had ever bought one of those - could become a rare colletible if you hand onto it
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Wireless app didn't work on my fire...nor my phone just a piece of CR*P
The app is certainly not crap (assuming wireless app means Calibre Companion) in my opinion. Tons of folks use it with great success. The developer is a regular contributor here and is happy to help folks having problems. Perhaps he, or one of the apps regular users can help you get it working? I'd be happy to try and help if you post in that forum.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:35 AM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The app is certainly not crap (assuming wireless app means Calibre Companion) in my opinion. Tons of folks use it with great success. The developer is a regular contributor here and is happy to help folks having problems. Perhaps he, or one of the apps regular users can help you get it working? I'd be happy to try and help if you post in that forum.
I might take you up on that next time my PC refuses to connect with the fire