Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Documents fading away after 1.7, if I use writing

Dear all,
I've just come across a very annoying problem after updating to 1.7. Before 1.7, when I did annotations, the page used to become grainy, with little dots, and it was not such a problem.
Now when I start drawing over documents, the whole shades of black fade to grey quite quickly, and the document becomes hard to read as a result.
I regret having performed the update, and I'd appreciate your response if you know how to downgrade. I don't want to sent it to Irex which would take weeks again, I was fine with 1.5, and this is obviously a software issue.

Best regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Groen
eReader
Groen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
Dear all,
I've just come across a very annoying problem after updating to 1.7. Before 1.7, when I did annotations, the page used to become grainy, with little dots, and it was not such a problem.
Now when I start drawing over documents, the whole shades of black fade to grey quite quickly, and the document becomes hard to read as a result.
I regret having performed the update, and I'd appreciate your response if you know how to downgrade. I don't want to sent it to Irex which would take weeks again, I was fine with 1.5, and this is obviously a software issue.

Best regards
Seref
So far, I did not notice it has gotten worse than in previous versions. I have not bothered about it so far. Only when I really scribble a lot (densely filling a blank sheet with writing) I do bother. In that case I usually open and close the menu to refresh the screen. However, doing that too often might become bothersome.

If you want to downgrade, download an older version of the firmware from http://updates.irexnet.com/embedded/dr1000/. Extract it to your SD-card, insert it in your reader and boot up.

Groen
Groen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there,
A restart has fixed the problem, but it was different than the usual issue. It was basically the document getting invisible, which kinda makes it hard to read Good to know how to downgrade.

Best Regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
hanche
Enthusiast
hanche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex reader 1000S
Thumbs down I saw it too

I just had the same thing happen to me. For me as well, the problem was fixed by restarting. Just in case it was hardware related (like some button problems), I shut down orderly, then hit the reset button to boot it.

Here is a picture of a graybar before (top half) and after (bottom half) I had scribbled upon it (outside the pictured part) for a minute or so.

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/tmp/...000-fading.jpg

(Hmm, no inline images allowed? Well, just follow the link then.)
hanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Did you try refreshing the screen, rather than restarting?

Theoretically, the loss in contrast could be caused by the partial refreshes that occur during writing. If that is all that is happening, then triggering a full screen refresh should clean it up.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
hanche
Enthusiast
hanche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex reader 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Did you try refreshing the screen, rather than restarting?
Of course. That restored it, but then once more it faded quickly once I continued scribbling.

Quote:
Theoretically, the loss in contrast could be caused by the partial refreshes that occur during writing. If that is all that is happening, then triggering a full screen refresh should clean it up.
No, this was different. I am very familiar with the usual behaviour: The blacks don't get noticably lighter, but the white background goes gradually darker when I scribble. The difference is that this time, the blacks faded very quickly while I scribbled. I noticed right away that something wasn't normal. (I use my DR1000 a lot for scribbling on.)
hanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanche View Post
No, this was different. I am very familiar with the usual behaviour: The blacks don't get noticably lighter, but the white background goes gradually darker when I scribble. The difference is that this time, the blacks faded very quickly while I scribbled. I noticed right away that something wasn't normal. (I use my DR1000 a lot for scribbling on.)
It's possible that partial refreshes could effect both, and there's another variable involved that we don't know about which determines why it effects whites most of the time and occasionally blacks. Something related to the content on the screen maybe?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote