Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
A word of thanks to all the devs

Through my own stupidity, I had to reset my voyage and lost my jailbreak. I'm now stuck with stock firmware and remembering how much less useable it is for me without the jailbreak and customizations. (My vision is 20/200 at best and I spend a lot time tweaking the UI to what I need to be, which isn't possible without the jailbreak.) As usual, you don't fully appreciate how good a thing is till you lose it :/

But yeah, I want to say thanks to all the devs who've done great work over the years to let us tweak our Kindles, as well as all the folks keeping the lights on here in the developer's corner. NiLuJe, ixtab, coplate, twobob, knc1, geekmaster, and anybody else I forgot to mention. Thank you all!!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If you previously installed the hotfix and have not updated you might be able to get your jailbreak back.

(I do not know any details.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Through my own stupidity, I had to reset my voyage and lost my jailbreak. I'm now stuck with stock firmware and remembering how much less useable it is for me without the jailbreak and customizations. (My vision is 20/200 at best and I spend a lot time tweaking the UI to what I need to be, which isn't possible without the jailbreak.) As usual, you don't fully appreciate how good a thing is till you lose it :/

But yeah, I want to say thanks to all the devs who've done great work over the years to let us tweak our Kindles, as well as all the folks keeping the lights on here in the developer's corner. NiLuJe, ixtab, coplate, twobob, knc1, geekmaster, and anybody else I forgot to mention. Thank you all!!
If all you did was reset the device, that is, did not follow the reset with installing an Amazon image ...
Then you have not lost the jail break, only the parts that are in the "hotfix" package.

Place the current "hotfix" package in the top most visible level of USB storage, remove the cable and then (your choice) use UYK or just restart the device.

Optionally, at this point, install the Amazon update image of your choice.

Then re-install MrPI and use that to re-install everything else.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, knc1, but I think I lost the jailbreak because installing the hotfix, either thru restart or UYK gave me the update failed screen. Obviously the jailbreak does not work with 5.9.7. the original jailbreak was done on 5.4.something

I don't suppose it's possible to use kindletool to install an Amazon update bin file with some replaced jars.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Things changed with 5.9.x and MRPI is needed to install updates.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Thanks, knc1, but I think I lost the jailbreak because installing the hotfix, either thru restart or UYK gave me the update failed screen. Obviously the jailbreak does not work with 5.9.7. the original jailbreak was done on 5.4.something

I don't suppose it's possible to use kindletool to install an Amazon update bin file with some replaced jars.
Post the link to the "hotfix" file you are using.
It may not be the correct copy for your device/firmware combination.

(PS: Obviously, the jail break works with ALL firmware versions released to date. Otherwise, we would have been out of business a long time ago.)

@J.P.S.: the "hotfix" package is an exception to requiring MrPI, since files required to use MrPI are inside the "hotfix" package.
Making MrPI accessible is one of the jobs of the "hotfix" package.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If your JB indeed dates back from the 5.4 days, and you *never* updated it (via bridge/hotfix) since, then, yeah, it might have been the original "bridge-less" iteration (or an earlier iteration of the bridge that didn't survive factory resets), in which case, yeah, tough luck :/.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Post the link to the "hotfix" file you are using.
It may not be the correct copy for your device/firmware combination.
from snapshot of NiLuJe's hacks

http://mr-public.auth-2ac4bfee353948...-r15581.tar.xz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If your JB indeed dates back from the 5.4 days, and you *never* updated it (via bridge/hotfix) since, then, yeah, it might have been the original "bridge-less" iteration (or an earlier iteration of the bridge that didn't survive factory resets), in which case, yeah, tough luck :/.

At some point, I updated to 5.8.7(?), applied hotfix or bridge. Recently updated to 5.9.7 and applied hotfix. All was well until i made an edit in kaf.jar>ScreenRotationServiceImpl.class, got the diagnotic screen, panicked and put a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file in /mnt/us/, got the kindle need repair screen, then I put amazon's 5.9.7.bin file in /mnt/us/, got it working again but neither hotfix nor bridge works.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

DO_FACTORY_RESTORE == "Reset" ++ a lot.
Followed by installation of Amazon image file.
Equals
Death to the jail break and all of the code that makes it viral.

- - - -

If all you did was edit a jar file, why didn't you just replace it with the original instead of doing that whole song and dance?
Old 01-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
Barty
doofus

only did the song and dance after it failed to boot.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, it's gone.

For others following along, the usual way to deal with framework snafus is doing the test run over SSH, because you can interrupt the loop, and having rp + crp installed just in case you're too slow .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote