Notices

Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner
FDPuthuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Cool First Try...Thoughts?

Hey guys and gals,
A forum member gave me a pdf file to use as an example of the kind of things we would have to deal with while converting something to an e-book. It was not a pretty file.
So, linked is what I was able to make out of it. Please C&C with how I might make it better. (If this is the wrong section for this post, please advise)

https://3a215d0e-eab2-4e9a-8021-c6fb...%20EU%20-%20UK
FDPuthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPuthuff View Post
Hey guys and gals,
A forum member gave me a pdf file to use as an example of the kind of things we would have to deal with while converting something to an e-book. It was not a pretty file.
So, linked is what I was able to make out of it. Please C&C with how I might make it better. (If this is the wrong section for this post, please advise)

Other than suggesting splitting Parts 1 and 2 into separate files and, possibly, changing part 3 so it starts it's list at 1 (currently seems to start at 58 which doesn't seem to match up with anything), it looks fairly decent when viewed on a Windows computer.

A couple of changes I would make would be to remove the references to Calibri Light, Calibri and Arial from the stylesheet since embedding those fonts would run afoul of Microsoft's copyrights. Given that the calibre class used for the body tag already includes margin 0, 5pt;, I would remove the pagestyles.css stylesheet. You may also want to check the bolding since some words are partially bolded (see Bilateral Avaiation Safety (a) and do a spell check which should catch items such as "Onsafeguards,amechanismtoenablecooperationbetween theOfficefor Nuclear Regulation (ONR)"

Otherwise, epubcheck is not happy with the use of value="xx" in an epub2 file.

I didn't want to kill more than 5 minutes so best I can do in that time.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The_Future_Relationship_with_the_EU_epub3.epub (76.1 KB, 345 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner
FDPuthuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
possibly, changing part 3 so it starts it's list at 1 (currently seems to start at 58 which doesn't seem to match up with anything)

Yes it is odd, but it matches the original document.
FDPuthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ultimate solution for any PDF
1) OCR or human eyeball. Sometimes you can copy and paste, which works better than opening it in a Wordprocessor or conversion.
2) Edit and style paragraphs and headings in MS Word or LO Writer.
3) Save a final copy with fonts embedded in docx format as well as the edit version without embedded fonts in the favourite wordprocessor native format.
Convert using Calibre.

If styles and headings etc are done properly you'll have a professional epub2. If you have rights to it then that epub2 is also a source for Amazon KDP, Google books on Playstore and Smashwords (which distributes to Apple and Kobo and others).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote