Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #5011
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I imagine most true Miss Marple fans (myself most definitely included) already have these but I'll post anyway. A box set of the first three novels (The Murder at the Vicarage, The Body in the Library, and The Moving Finger) is 2.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Marple-B...t%2C201&sr=1-8
I've been watching the ITV and BBC adaptions of the Miss Marple books and the ITV adaptions of the Poirot books. They are very good. I also have some of the Poirot movies to watch with Peter Ustinov and Albert Finny.

I do plan to read the Marple and Poirot novels and shorts thanks to Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:01 PM   #5012
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Open Season is the first title in the really solid (IMO) Joe Gunther police procedural series by Archer Mayor. It is free right now at Kindle US and UK if you want to give the series a try. The early titles in this series used to go on sale a lot, then didn't for a while, and now are showing up on sale a little bit, so if you like the first one, there's some hope for eventually getting more titles on sale later if you are patient.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Open-Season-G...dp/B00C3LKYZ0/
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Open-Season...dp/B00C3LKYZ0/

Spoiler:
Quote:
Lt. Joe Gunther of the Brattleboro, Vermont police force has a serious problem: in a community where a decade could pass without a single murder, the body count is suddenly mounting. Innocent citizens are being killed—and others set-up—seemingly orchestrated by a mysterious ski-masked man. Signs suggest that a three year-old murder trial might lie at the heart of things, but it’s a case that many in the department would prefer remained closed. A man of quiet integrity, Lt. Gunther knows that he must pursue the case to its conclusion, wherever it leads.

Open Season is the first of Archer Mayor’s twenty-three Joe Gunther novels, a series of gripping police procedurals set in New England, where small-town charm, stoicism and civility sometimes conceal brutal truths.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #5013
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I imagine most true Miss Marple fans (myself most definitely included) already have these but I'll post anyway. A box set of the first three novels (The Murder at the Vicarage, The Body in the Library, and The Moving Finger) is 2.99.

https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Marple-B...t%2C201&sr=1-8
Thanks - I bit on this one, too. I probably have them somewhere in paper form, but they're nice to read again.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:42 AM   #5014
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Elly Griffiths’ The Zig Zag Girl is free on Kobo UK and I believe Amazon UK

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-zig-zag-girl-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxpose View Post
I really enjoyed this book and this series. I recommend it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 03:45 AM   #5015
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks for the recs on the Zig Zag Girl - my Kobo store wants $7US,but on the strength of these recommendations I'll add it to my wish list
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #5016
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Elly Griffiths titles go on sale mediumly often, but usually not for very long. But if you are patient and/or your wish list is long , it should eventually turn up again on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Thanks for the recs on the Zig Zag Girl - my Kobo store wants $7US,but on the strength of these recommendations I'll add it to my wish list
Old 01-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #5017
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Elly Griffiths titles go on sale mediumly often, but usually not for very long. But if you are patient and/or your wish list is long , it should eventually turn up again on sale.
Thanks, I have several of her Galloway books to keep me busy in the meantime
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #5018
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

The Painted Queen is the last in the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters, finished by Joan Hess. It has been a couple of years since it was last on sale, and it has just dropped again to $1.99 at Kindle and Kobo US, so I'm posting it again. Last time it was on sale, it didn't stay on sale very long, so grab it if you want it!

Info and links in this previous post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3590468
Old 01-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #5019
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Enemies at Home is the second in the spin-off Flavia Albia series by Lindsey Davis, where the protagonist is Falco's adopted daughter, following in her dad's footsteps as a private informer. I'm not always a fan of spin-off series, but I've quite liked this one. And we get cameos from Falco and other characters ! Oh yeah, it has dropped to $2.99 in the US.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6EJQQM
Kindle US/Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00H6EJQQM
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/enemies-at-home-1

Spoiler:
Quote:
"There are rules for private informers accepting a new case. Never take on clients who cannot pay you. Never do favours for friends. Don't work with relatives. If, like me, you are a woman, keep clear of men you find attractive.

"Will I never learn?
"

In Ancient Rome, the number of slaves was far greater than that of free citizens. As a result, often the people Romans feared most were the "enemies at home," the slaves under their own roofs. Because of this, Roman law decreed that if the head of a household was murdered at home, and the culprit wasn't quickly discovered, his slaves—all of them, guilty or not—were presumed responsible and were put to death. Without exception.

When a couple is found dead in their own bedroom and their house burglarized, some of their household slaves know what is about to happen to them. They flee to the Temple of Ceres, which by tradition is respected as a haven for refugees. This is where Flavia Albia comes in. The authorities, under pressure from all sides, need a solution. Albia, a private informer just like her father, Marcus Didius Falco, is asked to solve the murders, in this mystery from Lindsey Davis.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #5020
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red By Harry Kemelman $.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N

One Fine Day the Rabbi Bought a Cross by Harry Kemelman $2.99 Amazon only.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #5021
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The Devotion of Suspect X (Detective Galileo Book 1) by Keigo Higashino is $2.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
Yasuko Hanaoka is a divorced, single mother who thought she had finally escaped her abusive ex-husband Togashi. When he shows up one day to extort money from her, threatening both her and her teenaged daughter Misato, the situation quickly escalates into violence and Togashi ends up dead on her apartment floor. Overhearing the commotion, Yasuko's next door neighbor, middle-aged high school mathematics teacher Ishigami, offers his help, disposing not only of the body but plotting the cover-up step-by-step.
When the body turns up and is identified, Detective Kusanagi draws the case and Yasuko comes under suspicion. Kusanagi is unable to find any obvious holes in Yasuko's manufactured alibi and yet is still sure that there's something wrong. Kusanagi brings in Dr. Manabu Yukawa, a physicist and college friend who frequently consults with the police. Yukawa, known to the police by the nickname Professor Galileo, went to college with Ishigami. After meeting up with him again, Yukawa is convinced that Ishigami had something to do with the murder. What ensues is a high level battle of wits, as Ishigami tries to protect Yasuko by outmaneuvering and outthinking Yukawa, who faces his most clever and determined opponent yet.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:35 AM   #5022
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

I had a chance a while back to read an ARC of the third and most recent title in Garry Disher's Paul Hirschhausen series, Consolation, and surprised myself by how much I really enjoyed it. I hadn't read anything by Disher before, and for some reason I expected it to be more of a thriller - okay, but not usually my favorite genre. Instead it was quite a nice police procedural, albeit with a couple of rather dark cases. Now the second title in the series, Peace, is on sale at Kindle UK for £0.99 as part of today's Daily Deal. I guess I'll be reading my way backward in this series!

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086XL4VXM/
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086XL4VXM/

Spoiler:
Quote:
AN ACT OF INEXPLICABLE CRUELTY. A FAMILY DESTROYED.

Constable Paul Hirschhausen runs a one-cop station in the dry farming country south of the Flinders Ranges. He's still new in town but his community work - welfare checks and a light touch - is starting to pay off. Now Christmas is here and, apart from a grass fire, two boys stealing a vehicle, and Brenda Flann entering the front bar of the pub without exiting her car, Hirsch's life has been peaceful.

Until he's called to an incident on Kitchener Street, a strange and vicious attack that sickens the community. And when the Sydney police ask him to look in on a family living on a forgotten back road, it doesn't look like a season of goodwill at all...

'In this brilliant novel, Disher takes his readers on a harrowing journey' JOCK SERONG

'An atmospheric and nail-biting novel by one of Australia's finest writers' The Times

'Disher is brilliant at rural noir, capturing the stifling atmosphere of a small town where resentments simmer' Sunday Times
Old 01-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #5023
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
This is an excellent read. In fact, all of Higashino's books are good.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #5024
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

A Song for the Dark Times is the most recent (2020) in the John Rebus series by Ian Rankin. It's on sale right now for £0.99 at Kindle UK, as part of today's Daily Deal.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086SNF147/
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086SNF147/

Spoiler:
Quote:
From the iconic Number One bestseller Ian Rankin, comes one of the must-read books of the year: A SONG FOR THE DARK TIMES

'Genius ... Only great novels capture the spirit of the age. This is one of them.'
THE TIMES

'He's gone...'

When his daughter Samantha calls in the dead of night, John Rebus knows it's not good news. Her husband has been missing for two days.

Rebus fears the worst - and knows from his lifetime in the police that his daughter will be the prime suspect.

He wasn't the best father - the job always came first - but now his daughter needs him more than ever. But is he going as a father or a detective?

As he leaves at dawn to drive to the windswept coast - and a small town with big secrets - he wonders whether this might be the first time in his life where the truth is the one thing he doesn't want to find...
Old 01-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #5025
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
A Song for the Dark Times is the most recent (2020) in the John Rebus series by Ian Rankin. It's on sale right now for £0.99 at Kindle UK, as part of today's Daily Deal.

Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086SNF147/
Kindle UK/Smile: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086SNF147/
Hey Amazon USA- we want it too!!!!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote