Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-01-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
Macsurfcat
Enthusiast
Macsurfcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
Kindle Previewer and OS X EL CAPITAN

Upgraded to MacBook Pro, with latest OS X environment.

Kindle Previewer and KindleGen no longer function in any way: they attempt to open, but immediately close down. I'm assuming this has something to do with a Java release, but am stumped as to what to do next.

Downloaded Java 6x

ring any bells?
Macsurfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Kindle Formats" forum section.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsurfcat View Post

Kindle Previewer and KindleGen no longer function in any way: they attempt to open, but immediately close down. I'm assuming this has something to do with a Java release, but am stumped as to what to do next.

Downloaded Java 6x

ring any bells?
Use the Beta. It doesn't require Java, much less an ancient and insecure version.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Macsurfcat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Use the Beta. It doesn't require Java, much less an ancient and insecure version.

thanks, will try that
Old 04-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:

Downloaded Java 6x

ring any bells?
KindleGen 2.9 working fine for me on El Capitan with Java 8
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
KindleGen 2.9 working fine for me on El Capitan with Java 8
AFAIK, the official KindleGen binaries for Windows, Linux and OSX don't require Java.

@Macsurfcat: If you need to generate MOBI books for KDP and hate the terminal app, you could also install Sigil and my KindleGen plugin.
It'll by default generate MOBI files with the same parameters as Kindle Previewer (standard compression, attached source files).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, the official KindleGen binaries for Windows, Linux and OSX don't require Java.
I'm sure you're right, Doitsu. This is above my level of technical expertise

I just wanted to let Macsurfcat know that KindleGen is working fine for me on OS X El Capitan without Java 6 (I have Java 8 installed), since s/he wrote:

Quote:

Kindle Previewer and KindleGen no longer function in any way ... I'm assuming this has something to do with a Java release ... Downloaded Java 6x ...
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindlegen never required Java, but Previewer has had a dependency on JRE 1.6, which became and issue when Apple started removing and/or updating Java with the last few OS X releases.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
Macsurfcat
Enthusiast

thank you all.

I've moved to Beta, which enables me to view files quite nicely. I understood generator use was not a Java dependency, but for ease, ran that through Previewer. I realize now I probably should update my Java release.

This is closed, I would think

Tags
kindle, mac os 10.9.5