Notices

Old 03-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #1
brahms
Enthusiast
brahms began at the beginning.

Device: none
Paperwhite ignores indents

Thanks for your help.

I've produced .mobi from epub using kindlegen. Everything was marked up by me, no conversion software at all other than kg.

On the kindle previewer all looks fine on all devices except the Paperwhite, which loses the para indents and substitutes a blank line.

Anything I can do in the way of an @media to stop this and force indents?

Thanks again,

Dave
brahms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahms View Post
Thanks for your help.

I've produced .mobi from epub using kindlegen. Everything was marked up by me, no conversion software at all other than kg.

On the kindle previewer all looks fine on all devices except the Paperwhite, which loses the para indents and substitutes a blank line.

Anything I can do in the way of an @media to stop this and force indents?

Thanks again,

Dave
No. A Paperwhite has a KF8 rendering engine, so there's no way to use a media query to fix that. May I ask to see the relevant CSS and a sample of the HTML being affected?

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2016, 02:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are you producing a Mobi 7 or a KF8 book?

In Mobi 7 you do indents like this:

Code:
<p width="1.5em">
while for KF8 the standard CSS "text-indent" property works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
brahms
Enthusiast

Thanks all.

Here's the relevant css:
One para is without indent, the other with. Both end in blocks on paperwhite.

p.firstpara {
text-indent: 0;
text-align: left;
line-height: 1.3em;
font-size: 1em;
margin: 0 0 0 0;
padding: 0;
font-family: "georgia", serif;
font-weight:normal;
orphans: 2;
widows: 2;
-epub-hyphens:none;
}

p.para {
text-indent: 1.25em;
margin: 0;

If there's no media query, is there a way of doing belt and braces in the para markup?

Many thanks for your help - really appreciate it.

Dave
Old 03-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I was told years ago it was important to turn off widow/orphan control in Word if you were going to convert it to HTML then to ePub/mobi. Your CSS looks like that's still on. I know when you leave it on things can happen that you don't anticipate in ePub. Could that be your problem?
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks all.

Here's the relevant css:
One para is without indent, the other with. Both end in blocks on paperwhite.

p.firstpara {
text-indent: 0;
font-size: 1em;
margin: 0 0 0 0;
}

p.para {

If there's no media query, is there a way of doing belt and braces in the para markup?

Many thanks for your help - really appreciate it.

Dave

Well, that seems all perfectly normal. Hmph. There has to be something cascading and overriding it. What's your base P style? Do you have one? Do you have anything in the Body setting that might be doing this?

Hitch
Old 03-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:

p.para {
}
The para style is missing the final curly bracket (}).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The para style is missing the final curly bracket (}).
Doits:

Do you think that's real? Or a "paste error?" Crappity, I assumed the latter. Yes, yes...never assume.

Htch
Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
brahms
Enthusiast

Yes it was a paste error. Sorry about that, not helpful.

I didn't bring in anything from Word. Everything came in cleaned as txt. All that widow / orphan stuff i borrowed having seen it somewhere and thinking it must mean something to kf 8.

Thanks again for pitching in with this. I'll get back on the other para styles tomorrow, if you don't mind. Time zones
Old 03-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yes it was a paste error. Sorry about that, not helpful.

I didn't bring in anything from Word. Everything came in cleaned as txt. All that widow / orphan stuff i borrowed having seen it somewhere and thinking it must mean something to kf 8.

Thanks again for pitching in with this. I'll get back on the other para styles tomorrow, if you don't mind. Time zones
Of course! Worry not. We are all quite accustomed to the time-zone issues here.

Hitch
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
brahms
Enthusiast

All the text is marked up the same way. The first paragraph after a section break is without indent and the css is p class="firstpara". Subsequent paras are indented and the css is p class="para".

Neither have top or bottom margins.

Any chance it could be the Kindle Previewer playing tricks (I don't have a real Paperwhite, though I'm trying to source one).

Thanks again for your help.

Dave
Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
All the text is marked up the same way. The first paragraph after a section break is without indent and the css is p class="firstpara". Subsequent paras are indented and the css is p class="para".

Neither have top or bottom margins.

Any chance it could be the Kindle Previewer playing tricks (I don't have a real Paperwhite, though I'm trying to source one).

Thanks again for your help.

Dave
Stupid Question: this oughtn't to have anything to do with this, but what happens if you delete the text-align command from the CSS?

Hitch
Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
brahms
Enthusiast

I'll give that a go. Thanks Hitch. :
Old 03-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'll give that a go. Thanks Hitch. :
Brahms:

That's a total winging it Hail Mary. As I can't see your total file, I can't know what's what. But it's a possibility.

Hitch
Old 03-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Post your entire CSS so we can have a look at it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote