Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
KePub vs ePub

Can someone explain to me the difference between KePub and ePub? I know KePub is Kobo's format but does it have any disadvantages to regular ePubs? Also, can KePubs be read on Non Kobo devices with any disadvantages to regular ePubs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot for reading .
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
To use kepubs on other devices, you would probably have to remove the DRM, which technically speaking may not be legal by the letter of the law. I've never done this myself, but I'm sure others will be able to better inform you.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargeHuge View Post
Can someone explain to me the difference between KePub and ePub? I know KePub is Kobo's format but does it have any disadvantages to regular ePubs? Also, can KePubs be read on Non Kobo devices with any disadvantages to regular ePubs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot for reading .
KePubs are non-standard, and I don't think there are any tools to remove the DRM. If you want to read your books on other devices you'll need to download the ePubs through Adobe Digital Editions.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
KePubs are non-standard, and I don't think there are any tools to remove the DRM. If you want to read your books on other devices you'll need to download the ePubs through Adobe Digital Editions.
So if i download the book using the Kobo app, Kobo Desktop app, or onto my Kobo ereader, it's a Kepub, but if i download the same book i bought from Kobo through ADE, it will be a regular epub? Am i understanding that right?
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
So if i download the book using the Kobo app, Kobo Desktop app, or onto my Kobo ereader, it's a Kepub, but if i download the same book i bought from Kobo through ADE, it will be a regular epub? Am i understanding that right?
Correct.

The advantage of KePubs is that through "the cloud" Kobo will synchronize all your Kobo devices/applications to be on the same page.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Exactly so. I suspect Kobo do it like that to avoid paying fees to Adobe unnecessarily.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Irrespective of DRM, kepubs also have what I consider another big disadvantage: when reading them, both a header and a footer are displayed. For side-loaded epubs, you only get the footer. Both header and footer, in my view, take up too much valuable reading space as they are several lines deep; at least with side-loaded epubs you only have to put up with the footer.

I am clueless as to why there is this difference between kepubs and epubs, it seems very arbitrary.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Also how do you know a book is kepub ? is the extention different ? Or can I just assume ALL books sold in the Kobo store are Kepub ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Also how do you know a book is kepub ? is the extention different ? Or can I just assume ALL books sold in the Kobo store are Kepub ?
They all are and none are. If you download them to the kobo reading app, they come down as kepubs. If you download them to Adobe Digital Editions, they come down as ADE ePubs.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
They end up in the .kobo\kepub directory on your device, as GUIDs without file extensions.

Example: ebc2629c-49bc-4ec5-b9c8-f35d0d92a696
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Almost all books are available as kepubs and epubs but look for "Adobe DRM epub" in the download options for individual books to confirm. I *think* the number of books that are kepub only is pretty small.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
They end up in the .kobo\kepub directory on your device, as GUIDs without file extensions.

Example: ebc2629c-49bc-4ec5-b9c8-f35d0d92a696
Or, they could look at the library list on the device and see the type of book there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote