Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
The ultimate reader app: Gyan Reader

Saw that on Good Ereader. Seems to be the best reader app on the market. SUpport epub3, css3 and html5. Avaible on Google Play for the moment but in development for the iOS.

Google Play

Good E-Reader

Helicon Books official site

Nice to see such a powerful tool on the android platform. Hope it's gonna be a good competitor to iBook.

Anyone tried it yet???
Ti-Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I tried it. It's crap.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...s-disappoints/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur
Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ti-Ron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, damn!

Thanks Nate for your input, really nice from you!

I was really expecting a good Android alternative for the iBook app. I'm really sad there's no competitor to it. Maybe the readium app will be THE thing to get.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post

I was really expecting a good Android alternative for the iBook app. I'm really sad there's no competitor to it. Maybe the readium app will be THE thing to get.
If you are looking for a good reader app for iPad, check out the Marvin app. There is a thread about it here on the Apple forum and everyone seems to concur that it is the next best thing since Stanza and a worthy replacement for it. Which is very high praise! It is only available on the iPad right now, but is supposed to be available for iPhone in a couple of months.

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Ti-Ron
Connoisseur

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm looking for an alternative on a Android platform. Actually, there's no real alternative to iBook.

If you want a quality reader app, you have to go to iGadget and use iBook, that is sad.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-Ron View Post
If you want a quality reader app, you have to go to iGadget and use iBook, that is sad.
I disagree. I routinely use both Android and IOS readers, and there are several ereader apps on Android that are at least the equal of iBooks.

Perhaps if you were to list your requirements, a more meaningful conversation could be held.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I disagree. I routinely use both Android and IOS readers, and there are several ereader apps on Android that are at least the equal of iBooks.

Perhaps if you were to list your requirements, a more meaningful conversation could be held.
It sounds like this user needs Epub3 support, otherwise Moon Reader or Aldiko would suffice.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It sounds like this user needs Epub3 support, otherwise Moon Reader or Aldiko would suffice.
Well, yeah, that would narrow things down a bit. I'd be interested to see a document that uses Epub3. Anybody know where I can get a good sample?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Well, yeah, that would narrow things down a bit. I'd be interested to see a document that uses Epub3. Anybody know where I can get a good sample?
There's an epub3 archive:
http://code.google.com/p/epub-samples/downloads/list
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
JMikeD
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
I'm more interesting creating the epub3 books and then being able to see them properly. I've tried a couple of readers with a simple test output from Bookbin which claims to output real epub3 documents in a wysiwyg way. Mostly taking user manuals and instead of static images showing you a point, a video showing you the process.

I'll take a look at the samples posted.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
Daniel Jones
Nameless Being

Hey Ti-Ron
Your suggested Good e-Reader app seem nice but I haven't used it over my Android device. I have been using Moon+Reader app on my phone and it works great for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
One man's killer app is in another man's garbage bin.

You can have all the bells and whistles you want, but personally I would rather have a simple reader that integrates into the file browser. I would much rather sort my own books in my own folder structure than rely on the programmers taste in "bookshelf" building.

Concentrate on getting the book to display correctly first. Once you have that licked, then you can write your bookshelf wrapper around that, just leave me the option to ignore it if I need to.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
You can have all the bells and whistles you want, but personally I would rather have a simple reader that integrates into the file browser. I would much rather sort my own books in my own folder structure than rely on the programmers taste in "bookshelf" building.
File browser integration is an OS feature so virtually every Android reader app integrates with any Android file browser. Simply use your file browser of choice and launch the book then choose the reader app you wish to use to read the book. Works just like Windows in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Concentrate on getting the book to display correctly first. Once you have that licked, then you can write your bookshelf wrapper around that, just leave me the option to ignore it if I need to.
I agree with you that's why I chose to use Moon+ Reader Pro as my reader for ePubs, it provides me the reading experience I like, but I ignore their bookshelf (nice as it is) and navigate to and launch all of my books using Calibre Companion.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Lektz isn't perfect by any means, but it's fairly decent wrt epub3.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote