Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
eljefe
eljefe began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
Table of Contents/Feature Request

I recently switched from the Sony Daily Edition to the DR800SG due to the much better screen on the Irex. I am anxiously awaiting the new firmware but I have an issue with the device that I hadn't seen anyone mention and was wondering if this will be fixed with the new firmware.

It seems that the table of contents completely expands out to every level by default and there's no way to turn this off. I have many technical publications in PDF that are almost usable due to this. This literally causes the table of contents to be hundreds of pages long in some cases. On the Sony I was able to drill down through the TOC with no issues. Will this be fixed? Thanks.
eljefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Is this happening with all your files? I only ask because all I'm seeing is top-level bookmarks in TOC.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
What happens when you open the pdf in Acrobat on your computer? I believe how expanded the TOC is initially is a configurable option, so you may be able to modify the pdf metadata to start out collapsed...
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
eljefe

It is definitely happening with all of my PDF's. When I open them on my PC they are all collapsed. They are all fully expanded on the reader and if there is a way to expand or collapse, I haven't figured it out. One example of where this proves very problematic is with instrument approach plates. I don't know if there are any pilots in here, but if you go to a site like nacomatic.com, you will see what I'm talking about. If you download California, for example, the TOC fully expanded shows up as over 200 pages. This is unfortunate because the TOC is the only way to easily browse to the city or airport your looking for. This definitely needs to be fixed.

Last edited by eljefe; 03-31-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
The TOC is indeed fully collapsed to three levels deep.

No changes to this have been made in the 2.0 release. We'll look at making this configurable (at least through a dr.ini hack) in the future.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
It is definitely happening with all of my PDF's. When I open them on my PC they are all collapsed. They are all fully expanded on the reader and if there is a way to expand or collapse, I haven't figured it out
I'm not sure if Matthijs' response to you was a language-barrier problem or not; though he said the 800 defaults to opening a PDF with the TOC collapsed, he may have meant "expanded." If he meant to say it defaults to an expanded TOC, then you're hosed until they fix it. However, if he spoke correctly, then there may be a fix for you. I fiddled around with a couple of PDFs with multi-level TOCs, and while there doesn't seem to be any setting in Acrobat to explicitly define this behavior, if I open a file, ensure the TOC is fully collapsed, and then do a Save As to force a new save of the document, the next time I open it, the TOC is indeed fully collapsed.

First, I don't know if you have the full version of Acrobat, but you ought to be able to find any number of about a bazillion PDF editors out there to give this a try. I know you said the files open already collapsed on your PC, but if I were you, I'd try opening one of the offending PDFs, forcing the TOC to fully expanded, save the document like that, then re-open it, force the TOC to fully collapse, and then re-save it, and then load it back onto the 800 to see what happens. Doing this cumbersome process may force-set some flag in the PDF structure that the 800 will then read and correctly process.

Another thing: when you open an offending PDF on the 800 and then manually collapse the TOC, does it remain collapsed the next time you open it? If it does, then there certainly is a flag somewhere that is being set, and you should through trial and error be able to find it.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, hope you can find a solution. That would indeed be annoying, to say the least.

Glad to see another pilot around. Keep the blue side up! Remember, when you pull back, the houses get smaller - unless you keep pulling back, and then the houses start getting bigger again...
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
eljefe

Ok just to clarify, the problem is twofold:

1. The TOC is static and cannot be expanded or collapsed on the device in any way whatsoever. If there is a way to do this, I haven't figured it out.

2. The TOC is by default fully expanded.

Both of these need to be fixed. You need to be able to drill up and down through the TOC like the sony readers for it to be useful at all for large documents. They handle the TOC like a menu with submenus rather than the outline view on the Irex. The outline view would be fine if it were dynamic like on Acrobat Reader.

Quote:

No changes to this have been made in the 2.0 release. We'll look at making this configurable (at least through a dr.ini hack) in the future.
The way I read this is that you may be able to make the default level that the TOC is expanded configurable in the future. This alone would not fix problem #1 above.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
AlpGlide
Connoisseur
AlpGlide began at the beginning.

Device: dr900
It is April now, where is 2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs View Post

We are all waiting for 2.0!
AlpGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
Ok just to clarify, the problem is twofold:

1. The TOC is static and cannot be expanded or collapsed on the device in any way whatsoever. If there is a way to do this, I haven't figured it out.

2. The TOC is by default fully expanded.

Both of these need to be fixed. You need to be able to drill up and down through the TOC like the sony readers for it to be useful at all for large documents. They handle the TOC like a menu with submenus rather than the outline view on the Irex. The outline view would be fine if it were dynamic like on Acrobat Reader.
I'll toss in my $.02 in here with eljefe's comments. This problem (fully expanded TOC) also occurs in an epub file. I know this because I made a catalog of my books using Calibre; putting it into epub format. Calibre created a lovely document with a multi-level TOC (with hyperlinks!).

This catalog is wonderful to use - until you move it to the DR800. Then, it's fully opened (in my case, it ends up being 17 pages) and you have to manually go through each page of the TOC. And, with no "Back" function on the DR800, once you've selected something (the hyperlinks work) - you can't go back to where you were in the TOC. You'd have to start at the beginning again.

So, eljefe, you aren't alone in your misery - it appears the DR800 defaults to fully opened TOC for PDFs AND epubs. And, you can't change it (close it and/or drill down into it like the Sonys).

It doesn't affect me that much - it's "just" my book catalog - but it's just enough annoying in my situation to FULLY sympathize with you, eljefe!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
This catalog is wonderful to use - until you move it to the DR800. Then, it's fully opened (in my case, it ends up being 17 pages) and you have to manually go through each page of the TOC. And, with no "Back" function on the DR800, once you've selected something (the hyperlinks work) - you can't go back to where you were in the TOC. You'd have to start at the beginning again.
Perhaps IREX would make a long-press of the menu button act as 'back'.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Perhaps IREX would make a long-press of the menu button act as 'back'.
Ah, badbob001 - from your lips to Irex's ears!

I love my DR800 (don't regret my purchase one iota) ... but I'd love it even more if it had a "Back" function and the "Go To" page function.

But that's a story for another thread...

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #12
stevedw
stevedw began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, I see the same thing on the iRex and the Nook.

I have a set of aviation approach plates I create on my website, and trying to scroll through all the pages in the fully expanded index is painful. I added an option to omit the lower level links, but I too would rather have a TOC that can be drilled down instead of fully expanded.
stevedw is offline   Reply With Quote