Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #511
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Missing a program I think

I'm running a 3._ beta version which was working and had generated catalogs previously.

Now per the log file I'm getting the following error:

- loading and filtering database
- java.sql.SQLException: [SQLITE_CANTOPEN] Unable to open the database file (unable to open database file)
- No books found in Calibre Library meeting criteria for inclusion in Catalog. Is your list of formats correct?

Any thoughts? (Calibre works fine BTW)

Thanks!
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #512
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
This is a bug that we are currently trying to squash...
http://calibre2opds.myjetbrains.com/...k/issue/c2o-65
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #513
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
This is a bug that we are currently trying to squash...
http://calibre2opds.myjetbrains.com/...k/issue/c2o-65
It is worthpointing out that at this point the error is proving rather intractable and we have not managed to reproduce the error in a controlled environment. We now know exactly which line of code is failing for those reporting the problem but not why. When sent the databases by such users the ones that fail on their systems work without error on our test systems.

This suggests it is something local to the systems in question, but so far we do not know what that might be. If anyone is experiencing this issue please think of getting involved by commenting on the issue for which David Pierron provided the link. The more inputs we have the more likely we are to spot the common thread behind those with the problem reports.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #514
Beau
Connoisseur
Beau doesn't litterBeau doesn't litter

Device: Sony 700, ipod Touch, iphone, Galaxy Tab
Sorry not more input here. The same person/problem.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #515
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
Sorry not more input here. The same person/problem.
Fair enough - but you might want to monitor the link that David fgave as that is where discussion about the issue and things we have tried is taking place.
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #516
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
Any plans to support custom columns? I'm using them with the Kindle Collections extension and remembered that calibre2opds doesn't use them, just Tags.

It'd be great if I could generate my catalogs from the same metadata that drives my Collections.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #517
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Any plans to support custom columns? I'm using them with the Kindle Collections extension and remembered that calibre2opds doesn't use them, just Tags.

It'd be great if I could generate my catalogs from the same metadata that drives my Collections.
Not in the near future.

It is something that is on the roadmap as a "wish" item, but the technical issues of how to do it are nowhere near resolved.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #518
itimpi
Wizard

I have put a potential Release Candidate for the 3.0 release of calibre2opds for download from http://code.google.com/p/calibre2opds/downloads/. If no show-stoppers are identified then after some final tidying of documentation this will be promoted to be the general release and we will start working on the 3.1 release.

The intention is to provide a significantly more rapid turn around on future releases so there should not be as long a wait for the next release.

With this release I have attempted to again provide a dmg package build for Mac users. However as I do not have a Mac of my own I built this using the TransMac tool on Windows and then tested it on my notebook running Leopard (the latest OSX version I can use) in "Hackintosh" mode. I would like confirmation that it works OK on later OSX versions such as Snow Leopard or Lion.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #519
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Your release candidate runs out of heap space on my library (~1500 items), while producing a nook-mode catalog.

A built-from-svn (revision 143) calibre2opds crashes with a null pointer error because it thinks the catalog is being built at .../Calibre when it's really being built at .../Calibre.library. It gets an npe trying to call os.close() when os is null, in CachedFileManager.saveCache(). This bug has been present for a long time now -- I reported it originally back in January.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #520
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I forgot. The .dmg file I downloaded reports that "there is a problem with this .dmg file" (etc.). It seems to work fine if I choose "continue", but something's not quite right.
Mac OS X 10.7.3.

Xenophon
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #521
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Oh, I forgot. The .dmg file I downloaded reports that "there is a problem with this .dmg file" (etc.). It seems to work fine if I choose "continue", but something's not quite right.
Mac OS X 10.7.3.
I will see if I can spot what might be wrong. Not having a suitable Mac system tends to hamper finding such issues. I guess the fact that I was even able to build a package on Windows that could be used on the Mac (after ignoring the warning) was progress of a sort. If by any chance you spot what might be causing the error then please let me know. I have updated the online documentation (at http://calibre2opds.com/read-the-doc...ment/building/) with the steps I took to produce the dmg file in case that brings something to mind.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #522
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Your release candidate runs out of heap space on my library (~1500 items), while producing a nook-mode catalog.
Nook mode tends to get very limited testing. I believe that David Pierron who wrote the Nook specific code no longer has the Nook he had at the time. When you compound this with the fact that calibre2opds developers such as myself do not (currently at least) even have a mac for testing against the combination of Nook mode plus OSX is always likely to throw up something new.

In terms of the heap space it might be worth looking at the RunGui.sh file to see if increasing the parameters for heap space allocation helps. This is the first release for which explicit values have been specified as we found that the defaults tended to be too low. The values used were chosen from ones that seemed to work well on Linux and Windows and may not be ideal for the Mac. You will see that an inital heap size of 128MB is specified with a maximum of 512MB. It is not clear to me if the initial value should be higher, or the maximum value. I did not want to set the maximum too as it can cause problems for those with less RAM than more modern systems tend to have. The values chosen have easily handled libraries with over 20K books in testing (albeit that testing was not done in nook mode).

It might be instructive to see if you have any such issue if running in the default mode as that tends by its very nature to be the one that gets the most exhaustive testing.

Quote:
A built-from-svn (revision 143) calibre2opds crashes with a null pointer error because it thinks the catalog is being built at .../Calibre when it's really being built at .../Calibre.library.
I will be a bit worried if rev 143 built from svn produces different results to rev143 built on Windows and then packaged into the dmg. Being java they should be identical. Could you please point out where you got this NPE - it did not seem to happen when I ran in Nook mode on my Windows system. My guess is that there is some variable that needs initialising to a slightly different setting if running in Nook mode, but the problem is going to spot which one if I cannot reproduce the NPE.

Quote:
It gets an npe trying to call os.close() when os is null, in CachedFileManager.saveCache(). This bug has been present for a long time now -- I reported it originally back in January.
This is easy enough to protect against by adding an explicit check for null. However more to the point is why that value can be null in the first place. It suggests to me that there is something else going on. Do you know if this crash ever occurs if not in Nook mode? I am wondering if there is an issue with setting the path to save the CRC cache to in that mode.

All I know about the Nook mode is from examining the code. That makes it much harder to spot logic flaws as it is not always clear what should be happening in that mode that is different to other modes. If you spot any strange behavior please feel free to point it out. As I discover more about the Nook specific behavior I am tending to add comments to the code so that those examining it later have a better view of what is meant to be happening.

I really would like to get these issues ironed out so that the 3.0 release an go into more widespread circulation. The earlier releases are now so far from the current code base that even investigating issues raised against them is getting to be more difficult.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #523
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Nook mode tends to get very limited testing. I believe that David Pierron who wrote the Nook specific code no longer has the Nook he had at the time. When you compound this with the fact that calibre2opds developers such as myself do not (currently at least) even have a mac for testing against the combination of Nook mode plus OSX is always likely to throw up something new.

In terms of the heap space it might be worth looking at the RunGui.sh file to see if increasing the parameters for heap space allocation helps. This is the first release for which explicit values have been specified as we found that the defaults tended to be too low. The values used were chosen from ones that seemed to work well on Linux and Windows and may not be ideal for the Mac. You will see that an inital heap size of 128MB is specified with a maximum of 512MB. It is not clear to me if the initial value should be higher, or the maximum value. I did not want to set the maximum too as it can cause problems for those with less RAM than more modern systems tend to have. The values chosen have easily handled libraries with over 20K books in testing (albeit that testing was not done in nook mode).
messing with rungui.sh is not fruitful on the Mac. Instead, you need to modify the values in the Info.plist file instead -- that's where the VM arguments are set. Specifically, change
Spoiler:
Code:
		<dict>
			<key>apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar</key>
			<string>true</string>
		</dict>

to
Spoiler:
Code:
		<dict>
			<key>apple.laf.useScreenMenuBar</key>
			<string>true</string>
		</dict>
		<key>VMOptions</key>
		<string>-Xms128m -Xmx512m</string>

Quote:
It might be instructive to see if you have any such issue if running in the default mode as that tends by its very nature to be the one that gets the most exhaustive testing.
No problems when running in any of the non-Nook modes.

Quote:

I will be a bit worried if rev 143 built from svn produces different results to rev143 built on Windows and then packaged into the dmg. Being java they should be identical. Could you please point out where you got this NPE - it did not seem to happen when I ran in Nook mode on my Windows system. My guess is that there is some variable that needs initialising to a slightly different setting if running in Nook mode, but the problem is going to spot which one if I cannot reproduce the NPE.

This is easy enough to protect against by adding an explicit check for null. However more to the point is why that value can be null in the first place. It suggests to me that there is something else going on. Do you know if this crash ever occurs if not in Nook mode? I am wondering if there is an issue with setting the path to save the CRC cache to in that mode.

All I know about the Nook mode is from examining the code. That makes it much harder to spot logic flaws as it is not always clear what should be happening in that mode that is different to other modes. If you spot any strange behavior please feel free to point it out. As I discover more about the Nook specific behavior I am tending to add comments to the code so that those examining it later have a better view of what is meant to be happening.
Indeed, the problem turns out to be the path for saving the CRC cache. Here're diffs for the two files that need some fixing.
CachedFileManager.java:
Spoiler:
Code:
Index: DataModel/src/main/java/com/gmail/dpierron/calibre/cache/CachedFileManager.java
===================================================================
--- DataModel/src/main/java/com/gmail/dpierron/calibre/cache/CachedFileManager.java	(revision 143)
+++ DataModel/src/main/java/com/gmail/dpierron/calibre/cache/CachedFileManager.java	(working copy)
@@ -136,6 +136,12 @@
    */
   public void setCacheFolder(File cf) {
     cacheFolder = cf;
+    logger.error("Setting cacheFolder and CacheFile");
+    if (cacheFolder == null) {
+	logger.error("Incoming cf was null");
+    } else {
+	logger.error("Incoming cf specified path: " + cacheFolder.getAbsolutePath());
+    }
     cacheFile = new File(cacheFolder.getAbsolutePath(), "calibre2opds.cache");
     logger.debug("CRC Cache file set to " + cacheFile.getPath());
   }
@@ -161,9 +167,25 @@
     FileOutputStream fs = null;
     try {
       try {
+	  if (cacheFile == null) {
+	      logger.error("cacheFile is null!!!");
+	  } else {
+	      logger.debug("have a cacheFile.");
+	      logger.debug("cacheFile is: " + cacheFile);
+	  }
         logger.debug("STARTED Saving CRC cache to file " + cacheFile.getPath());
         fs = new FileOutputStream(cacheFile);
+	if (fs == null) {
+	    logger.error("null FileOutputStream for CRC cache file " + cacheFile.getPath()); 
+	} else {
+	    logger.debug("created fs: " + fs);
+	}
         os = new ObjectOutputStream(fs);
+	if (os == null) {
+	    logger.error("null ObjectOutputStream for CRC cache file " + cacheFile.getPath());
+	} else {
+	    logger.debug("created os: " + os);
+	}

// Write out the cache entries
         for (Map.Entry<String, CachedFile> m : cachedFilesMap.entrySet()) {
@@ -200,8 +222,16 @@
         }
       } finally {
         try {
-          os.close();
-          fs.close();
+	  if (os == null) {
+	    logger.fatal("ObjectOutputStream os unexpectedly null. Is the cacheFolder set to the correct path?"); 
+	  } else {
+	    os.close();
+	  }
+	  if (fs == null) {
+	    logger.fatal("FileOutputStream fs unexpectedly null. Is the cacheFolder set to the correct path?"); 
+	  } else {
+	    fs.close();
+	  }
         } catch (IOException e) {
           // Do nothing - we ignore an error at this point
           // Having said that, an error here is a bit unexpected

and Catalog.java:
Spoiler:
Code:
Index: OpdsOutput/src/main/java/com/gmail/dpierron/calibre/opds/Catalog.java
===================================================================
--- OpdsOutput/src/main/java/com/gmail/dpierron/calibre/opds/Catalog.java	(revision 143)
+++ OpdsOutput/src/main/java/com/gmail/dpierron/calibre/opds/Catalog.java	(working copy)
@@ -500,10 +500,15 @@
         catalogParentFolder = calibreLibraryFolder;
       }
       logger.trace("catalogParentFolder set to " + catalogParentFolder);
-      File catalogFolder = new File(catalogParentFolder, currentProfile.getCatalogFolderName());
+      StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
+      sb.append(currentProfile.getCatalogFolderName());
+      if (currentProfile.getDeviceMode() == DeviceMode.Nook) {
+	  // Remember to add the trook folder extension when we are in trook mode!
+	  sb.append(Constants.TROOK_FOLDER_EXTENSION);
+      }
+      File catalogFolder = new File(catalogParentFolder, sb.toString());
       if (logger.isTraceEnabled())
         logger.trace("New catalog to be generated at " + catalogFolder.getPath());
-
       // If copying catalog back to database folder check it is safe to overwrite
       if (true == currentProfile.getCopyToDatabaseFolder()) {
         File targetFolder = currentProfile.getDatabaseFolder();
@@ -1069,7 +1074,11 @@
           }
           // when publishing to the Nook, don't forget to copy the search database
           File destinationFile = new File(targetFolder, Constants.TROOK_SEARCH_DATABASE_FILENAME);
-          Helper.copy(TrookSpecificSearchDatabaseManager.INSTANCE.getDatabaseFile(), destinationFile);
+	  final File srcSearchFile = 
+	      TrookSpecificSearchDatabaseManager.INSTANCE.getDatabaseFile();
+          if (srcSearchFile != null) {
+	      Helper.copy(srcSearchFile, destinationFile);
+	  }
           // Also need to make sure catalog.xml exists for Trook use
           // Use index.xml already generated
           // logger.trace("dewstinationFolder=" + destinationFolder);
@@ -1208,11 +1217,12 @@
       logger.error(" ");
       logger.error("*************************************************");
       logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.unexpectedFatal").toUpperCase());
-      logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.cause").toUpperCase() + ": " + t.getCause());
+      logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.cause").toUpperCase() + ": " + t + ": " + t.getCause());
       logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.message").toUpperCase() + ": " + t.getMessage());
-      //logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.stackTrace").toUpperCase() + ":\n" + Helper.getStackTrace(t));
+      logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.stackTrace").toUpperCase() + ":\n" + Helper.getStackTrace(t));
       // ITIMPI: Need to check following line prints good stack trace - if not re-instate above line
-      logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.stackTrace").toUpperCase() + ":\n" + t);
+      // DFS: Nope!  It doesn't work. (At least not on Mac OS X 10.7.3, with Java 1.6).
+      //logger.error(Localization.Main.getText("error.stackTrace").toUpperCase() + ":\n" + t);
       logger.error("*************************************************");
       logger.error(" ");
     } finally {

Quote:

I really would like to get these issues ironed out so that the 3.0 release an go into more widespread circulation. The earlier releases are now so far from the current code base that even investigating issues raised against them is getting to be more difficult.
And I'm super-eager to have a working 3.0 release that I can use with my nook. Hence, the above fixes.

Please note: I have yet to check whether the resulting output actually works on the nook. I've only gotten as far as making the crash go away.

Xenophon
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #524
Xenophon
curmudgeon

Quote:
Please note: I have yet to check whether the resulting output actually works on the nook. I've only gotten as far as making the crash go away.

Xenophon
I can now confirm that the resulting output appears to work just fine on the Nook.

Xenophon
Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #525
itimpi
Wizard

Good to hear!

Note that I've uploaded a number of patches today to fix problems with with the paths for where files were being sent. I started by fixing some Nook related issues (rev 144) and then found I had upset some of the other modes so had to make some further changes (rev 145). Hopefully the paths are now correct in all modes. The code should that derives paths should now be much cleaner which means it is less subject to silly errors (which I have no trouble making ).