Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Arrow Greeting From Scotland!!

Hello All,

I'm thrilled to be a member of MobileRead, I've found the threads really informative on the subject of EReaders. I'm in the market to purchase one but all the negative/or lack of info out there was confusing in the least.

Well not lack of but competing info. I kept looking for UK based owners opinions but couldn't find any which answered my exact queries. I found the posts from actual owners really informative to my needs, esp. those based inside the UK (ofcourse).

I'm single, unable to work due to disability. I prefer not to pingeon hole myself but instead class myself as mobilely challenged. I can move, not always steadily or in the least quickly, but the main thing is being able to move from A to B with only aid of my crutch.

My family, little car, computer (internet ofcourse) and my near rabid reading are my lifeline. Especially on my bad day(s). My move from paper based reading to digital comes from space restraints mainly. I also like to read on my computer as well, so the thought of being able to carry around dozens of books on one small(ish) gadget has real appeal.

Last year I finally splurged and purchased a nintendo ds, I've got my moneys worth of that product, with 2 nephews, myself and my Mother using it.

Now I soon hope to say the same for a Reader. I already have at least two dozen novels on my computer (all adobe digital editions) which I love to read when able but would love to be able to take them to bed at night when unable to sleep. I don't doubt that a Reader would be used, my Mother and I both a major readers (really runs in the family) so it would be a two person gadget - until I purchase a second one for her eventually.

I did that with my ds. Bought her her own for Christmas and she loves it. Esp. reading the 100 Classic Book collection. What irritated me is when I read through the titles they were all freely downloadable online for zilch so that game cart has been a real boon for the makers. Off topic I know but there I go again. It's a habit with me, once I start I just go on.

But regardless I love romance novels, big anthologies etc., and they already take up major storage space in our small two bedroom home. I have over 500 paperbacks at least (very conservative estimate, I've been reading/collecting books for my entire 38 years so you can just imagine how they've multiplied).

I am a sucker for Harlequin books series, (regularly 12 to 24 books series), large books, hardbacks and that doesn't take into account all my Mother owns. I got her into Regency/Historical romances by accident actually and now her book collection almost rivals my own. Helps now that she can't complain when I purchase yet another book series, she is just as prone as I am now she is retired. Luckily any books we purchase get read by both of us now making them more worth purchasing and I pass along to Old Folks homes when no longer wanted. I believe in both recycling and sharing. I find binning things which someelse can use wasteful and don't believe in it when it can be avoided.

Anyhow, ranting aside, we just don't have the room anymore. Just as I'm replacing older VHS tapes with smaller DVD I hope to do the same with books gradually.

I already purchase more ebooks now than paperbacks, simply due to space restraints, and luckily a few good US based ebook stores sell outside USA/Canada otherwise I wouldn't dream of moving onto a Reader, as you all know the sheer lack of the types of books I want from UK stores is rather pitiful, not to mention quite expensive. But then when is new technology cheap?

Anyhow my last two series sets I purchased where totally in ebook format and immediate download/storage and no postage costs are a real boon.

Anyhow I've bored you all enough for just an intro. Aren't you all sorry you asked me to once I registered now?

Lesley-Ann

p.s. excuse any spelling errors etc. I preview but don't always find and correct. Hope my rambling wasn't too confusing for you.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Lesley-Ann and welcome to MobileRead. I started eBook reading on an iPaq PDA and liked that so well that, when the first eInk readers came out, I was instantly hooked. I've had a Sony 505 for well over a year now and like it a lot. Love going on a trip and not having to carry dozens of books. My wife also appreciates me not having books all over the house.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Welcome to MobileRead Lesley-Ann -- it is great to have another member from Scotland.

What kind of ebook reader are you thinking of buying? I have a Sony 505 which I love to bits (well, not literally ). There are quite a few places selling them now in the UK and they occasionally go on sale. I got mine for £189 a few months ago.

Waterstones and WH Smith are the main UK ebook sellers, but you can also buy from Fictionwise and Books on Board.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
Hello All,

I'm single, unable to work due to disability. I prefer not to pingeon hole myself but instead class myself as mobilely challenged. I can move, not always steadily or in the least quickly, but the main thing is being able to move from A to B with only aid of my crutch.

Lesley-Ann
Welcome to MobileRead, Lesley-Ann.

You've come to the right place for your 'down' days. This site is what keeps most of us sane. I say most of us because so many here aren't and never will be, "sane".

I have one piece of advice. Get a cover for your keyboard. Whatever is in your mouth at the time you are reading a post on the lounge is sure to end up there, because you will be unable to control your laughter.

You've been warned.

Go to the lounge, enjoy, BUT do not accept any drinks (zany carters) offered under the pretense of 'friendship'. Stay away from the Monkeyboy, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Hi and welcome to MobileRead, Lesley-Ann!! Although many of us are not in the UK, we may be living with similar circumstances. For me, the ereader will be (when I finally make up my mind) a much more comfortable way to read. I look forward to reading what suggestions others have for you!

Cheers!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioslaith View Post
I am a sucker for Harlequin books series, (regularly 12 to 24 books series), large books, hardbacks and that doesn't take into account all my Mother owns.
I'd say get the CyBook Gen 3 from whsmith online for £195. It's the cheapest of the UK readers, it reads Mobipocket ebooks which are widely available - including from Harlequin - see http://ebooks.eharlequin.com/

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-90010859.html

We do complain a bit about Bookeen, but only because we're impatient and Bookeen have been poor at meeting their own timetables for updates. Even without an update, it's still the best reader around for Mobipocket format.

W have two readers (one for me, one for my wife) and we're very pleased with them. We did have a Sony 505 at one point, but we prefer the CyBook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for both the welcome and advice. My new Sony 505 is already on it's way to me, unfortunately due to bank holiday Monday it will probably be Wednesday at the earliest before it arrives. Taking the holiday into account it should be between Wednesday and Friday next week for delivery given the timetable supplied from the vendor.

I researched other options for readers and opted for the Sony one, given price, availability and my personal needs. That said I probably won't be counting the days (too much anyway!!). I had all three of my nephews today due to in service day (both my brother and sister in law are teachers) and they should be picked up soonish. I'll probably be exhausted tonight after they go, keeping up with one is tiring let alone all three at once.

Also Tuesday and Thursdays are my usual babysitting days, so I'll probably have a lazy long weekend, a busy Tuesday and have to see about getting my car in for it's MOT before the 4th of June. I like to get it done with a week to spare incase repairs are needed. So either Friday next week or Monday at the latest the following week. Depends on when the garage has an opening.

Anyhow, thank you everyone.

(In)patiently awaiting,

Lesley-Ann
Old 05-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Good luck with your new toy. And, when it arrives, you have to charge it up before you can use it. That was the longest hour for me.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
lioslaith
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Good luck with your new toy. And, when it arrives, you have to charge it up before you can use it. That was the longest hour for me.

I'm sure I will

According to the online tracking system my 505 is being 'held' at the Glenrothes depot right now. It was picked up yesterday by HDN, sorted at seven-ish last night, and delivered to the depot at just before 6 a.m. this morning. I assume the unable to deliver 'held' for 7.30 a.m. is because it missed being loaded on the van for today's delivery.

The website is anything but clear, so I'm assuming that this is the case. I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it's marked at loaded onto van yet. If not I suppose I'll have to do some indepth searching to find a way to contact the Glenrothes depot and find out why it's being still 'held'.

I hoping this is the case and it'll be delivered soon, as I have been reading some pretty nightmarish post about the courier which I really don't want to personally experience, especially not with such an expensive piece of kit.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Hopefully next time I post it will be as an official reader owner.

Lesley-Ann
Old 05-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hello Lesley-Ann,

Welcome. It's good see the forum's presence here in Scotland is strengthening. You'll get lots of good advice here (as I'm sure you already know).

I thought carefully about which reader to buy, and eventually went for a Kindle, despite the hassles of sourcing it from the US and using it over here. I'm delighted I did. But, given that you are an avid reader, I suspect you'll greatly enjoy using any model. It will open up new reading possibilities for you, and generally help to make life more convenient.

Please let us know how you get on with your 505 when it arrives.

Last edited by Mike L; 05-26-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I hope it escapes from the Glenrothes depot soon! Do let us know how you get with it.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Harlequin sell their books as in packs. e.g. you can get all Presents titles for a month at a reduced price to buying them individually. They sell PDF, Lit and mobipocket DRM but there are ways around this.
regencyreads.com sell old historicals they are republishing DRM free in a variety of formats - easy to change. They do 5 new titles a month and have a big list now.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
lioslaith
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I hope it escapes from the Glenrothes depot soon! Do let us know how you get with it.
It finally did escape, luckily although I wasn't expecting it at the time both myself and my Mother was home to accept delivery when it arrived, even though according to my tracking ID the package was still being 'held' at the depot. Strange.

So after charging, verifying with my ADE, I transferred a dozen books I had on my hard drive, with the 'excerpts' already installed on my reader I also found 3 full books, including two harlequin romance novels. So all toll they should keep me busy for a few days or so. A week if I'm really lucky!!

Funnily enough my Mum was the first to fully test drive it as she used it to read an Nicola Cornick ebook I bought her, she thought it was fabulous and enjoyed reading her book immensely. I have tested it out a bit last night but found myself too exhausted to read more than a few pages before turning in for the night. I got around to really spending some time reading on it this afternoon between running around after my nephews, but I didn't get to really relax and do some serious reading until this evening.

I thought I'd pop off a quick post before getting back to reading so I didn't forget to. I have a hour or so before the last of this series of Bones airs here on satellite, so that said I'm off to get back to it. I was half way through I short novella and hope to finish it before my programme comes on.

So, happy to everyone.

See You Later,

Lesley-Ann
Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
jsadd
jsadd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1, I Pod Touch
Congratulatios !
I hope you enjoy your e reader as much as I do mine. Enjoy!
jsadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
Curly
I need a holiday!

Great news! Be sure to check out the free books here at MobileRead -- click 'E-books' in the blue bar at the top of the page. Enjoy!