Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 AM   #16
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
thanks. this looks really interesting...the only downside for the Oasis application is how this would work with a case if one reads in bed with the pop socket but then wants to hit the road and have a case on the Oasis.
They're easily removed and put back on. If theh lose their stickiness it says all you do is wash with soap and the stickiness is like new.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Thanks everyone.

i'm almost 2 weeks in on my Oasis 1. i can't say i've found the perfect grip yet, but its definitely more comfortable that the Oasis 2 was (no hand cramping) and i can read for a couple hours at a time without any ill effect. but i do really miss that extra inch of screen space...

i think my previously experienced page turning issues may have been user error and/or the kindle indexing.

i also have gotten used to the light gradient. as i noted elsewhere, to my eye, the "gradient toward yellow" on the thin side is mitigated if i have the thick side held to the right. the down side of this are the light cones. there are two prominent light cones on the middle of the page that i still haven't been able to ignore. as luck would have it, they are much less intrusive if they are on the right hand side of the page, but then i have the light gradient issue to try to "forget." i'm pretty sure i'll keep it, but i'm tempted to order another one in hopes that i might get a better unit, but i'm not sure its worth the hassle and if i will likely get a unit with different issues.

finally, the good news is i have not had any problems with the charging covers connection to the main unit.

thanks again for everyone's helpful sharing and comments. i still may get an Oasis 2 at some point but that unit would be used exclusively for "not in bed" reading.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Any light gradient I only notice (when looking for it) at night. During the day I only set the light so it whitens the page and makes it look like a book page. It's never bright enough to glow, and notice the differences in color tone.

The key to these problems is...not to obsess over it. When I got the unit, I stared at it and discovered every flaw it had. In the end though, if you just read, and don't focus on the details, you'll be much happier.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #19
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

thanks HM. i'm trying...

you are absolutely correct: the gradient/light cone issues are really only relevant in low light, but unfortunately, these days, almost all of my reading is with the lights off and in bed so i don't disturb my wife. i think in daylight or moderate indoor light conditions, all of the kindles i've used look fine.

i usually keep my backlight at 10 and below...9-10 for a lit room, and then gradually drop to 6-7 when my eyes adjust to the dark room. it's at these lower levels that the cones become really noticeable.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #20
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I keep it on 8 if I read at night. And yeah, there are gradients. But that's the technology. They've done the best they can to make it look like one big light illuminating the bottom, but it's not, so it's just a given that it's not going to look that way.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
Derek87
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I keep it on 8 if I read at night. And yeah, there are gradients. But that's the technology. They've done the best they can to make it look like one big light illuminating the bottom, but it's not, so it's just a given that it's not going to look that way.

-HM
maybe i wasn't clear... actually am finding the gradients (shifting of color and light intensity) from left to right (and visa-versa) acceptable.

but i do find the cones/scallops of light on the light source side to be distracting. i would say that is one thing they got perfect on the Oasis 2 (at least the unit i had): zero evidence of the 12 sources of light. on my Oasis 1, there are two areas where i see a very noticeable scalloped edge/cone.